Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-18-2012, 12:16 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
INTERESTING post and wise decision to postpone your drive to the PNW for a couple of weeks!
Coney, where are you in the PNW? How's the weather today?

Old 01-18-2012, 01:57 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,046,783 times
Default I live in Rogue River ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Coney, where are you in the PNW? How's the weather today?
I live in a small rural town called "Rogue River pop. 2k, at an elevation of about 1200', between Grants Pass and Medford. We're getting a steady rainfall !! It's been very dry up to this week so I guess the rain is a good thing ~ maybe less chance of wildfire in the dry summer months, if the ground has absorbed sufficient rain (?).

Old 01-18-2012, 03:19 PM

121 posts, read 292,387 times
Default I spent some time in Merlin, OR

Coney Island Babe: I once spent a summer in Merlin in a house next to the Rouge River in the wild and scenic section. It was beautiful! I rafted the Rouge from Galice to Gold Beach one year. After that, my friend and I drove from gold Beach over the mountains on a one lane logging road and continued all the way to the headwaters of the Rouge. I was really impressed with the place where the river surges through open lava tubes! Wow! That's some pretty awesome scenery in Southern Oregon! I had considered that area for retirement but the state income tax is too high for me!

Old 01-18-2012, 03:25 PM

121 posts, read 292,387 times
Default I meant Rogue!

Dislexia strikes again!

Old 01-18-2012, 04:15 PM

379 posts, read 533,183 times
Default PNW Weather today

My daughter lives in Tacoma, WA. We live in Tennessee. OUR tv station showed the 14" of snow in Tacoma!!

Good idea not to be heading into western Washington this week!

Old 01-30-2012, 05:11 AM

3,513 posts, read 6,373,551 times
It was six years ago today that I arrived here from CA as a single retired woman. Didn't know a soul but that changed quickly as a got involved with the local humane society. It made for several strong new friendships and I haven't regretted the move one bit.

I hope all those who are considering a big move find places that they love and thrive in.

Old 01-30-2012, 11:41 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,844,996 times
single, retired lady...I'm also interested in Virginia so it was good to hear that you adjusted well and not regretted moving from California! What were the biggest challenges you had to overcome in your move and what was easier than you thought it would be ?

Old 01-31-2012, 07:31 PM

13 posts, read 190,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by zugor View Post
It was six years ago today that I arrived here from CA as a single retired woman. Didn't know a soul but that changed quickly as a got involved with the local humane society. It made for several strong new friendships and I haven't regretted the move one bit.

I hope all those who are considering a big move find places that they love and thrive in.
Thank you for the well-wishes, Zugor. 57 year old single retired(?) lady here also, looking to pull up stakes and get off the farm after 26 years of hard labor "doing it herself." Kind of challenged by the fact that I'll have to move without selling, so I won't have a huge chunk of change to move with, only a modest income and whatever my other meager assets will bring me when liquidated. I'll rent the house and lease out the land to a budding CSA, so that'll be a little added coin to line my purse with. Still, not having much for a down payment and moving expenses really limits where I could relocate to--a place I will thrive in.

First I looked rather close to home--within an hour away--but that didn't really appeal to me. The energy up here is all wrong for my needs--it's like slogging through Karo syrup--and it now drains me like nothing before. The prices of land/houses are pretty modest up here (northern California--Tehama County, Shasta County, Siskiyou County, Trinity County, Butte County, Glenn County, Lake County) and are some of the lowest priced/undervalued properties and a boon for anyone that has limited means to just step into. Seriously. Nice areas, all. Decent housing, many with acreage.

But I can't live here. Anymore.

So I started looking further afield, guiding myself off of the west coast altogether to the furthest west--Hawaii. I was amazed at some of the places that could be had that I would be quite comfortable in for a mere pittance on the big island. I got excited. Boy, I was ready to fly off to the islands and hunt for that perfect little shack in the rainforest on the slopes of Kilauea (never mind that it's a very active volcano, and everything that comes with that) when I was confronted with the costs of actually going there with nothing other than a backpack and my 3 dogs.

You can't shove an Irish Wolfhound into a box small enough to fit under the seat of any airline. In fact, they're a good 150lbs more than the 70lb limit on any airline that would shove them in the hold. The *only* way to get them there would be to charter a jet, with the minimum price tag of $25k.

Nope. Not going to Hawaii, no matter how much I'm sure I'd love it there. Transport costs would far exceed the price of that idyllic shack I coveted, and I just couldn't rationalize that. (yeah, I can rationalize living on a volcano, but not spending bank on a ride)

So I wandered back to the mainland and took a little virtual trip checking out everywhere from Roswell (I need an adventure in the worst way!), but it wasn't quite what I had in mind, so headed north to check out housing prices around Albuquerque, Santa Fe and Taos.

Jawdroppingly high for me. Undoable.

I searched into southern Colorado all the way to Denver. Pueblo looked somewhat promising, as there were fixers that, if I am clever enough to do (and I am), could restore and have much nicer than I have now. Still, the feel wasn't there. I didn't feel a draw. To the architecture, yes. The area, not so much.

So I moseyed around New Mexico for a while, checking out the areas surrounding the cities. Somewhere in between Santa Fe and Taos landed me on an ad for a house on 3/4 of an acre that needed some restoration, but nothing a single older lady couldn't do herself. It was a traditional Santa Fe design too, an adobe brick/stucco complete with vigas, quite old but charming, with an adobe/stucco courtyard that secluded the house from the street.

(My interest in a minor fixer is to occupy my mind and time with a new creative endeavor so I do not feel so utterly alone, and so I can make the home personally my own with my own touches. If I went to a move-in ready home, I'd get unpacked and then just sit there staring and say, "what now?" All too anticlimactic for me. *L*)

Checked the place and area out on Google maps and Google Earth--an oasis Davis, New Mexico seems to be, and on a tributary of the Rio Grande no less. The property was nicely treed and came with water rights from the aquiceas, so with a little work, the place could be a real gem inside and out. Checked out the demographics and amenities of Davis NM and it's surrounds, and oddly, it looked and sounded like a place I could actually belong.

I was enthused.

(My interest in a minor fixer is to occupy my mind and time with a new creative endeavor so I do not bore and feel lonely, and so I can make it personally my own with my own touches, as well as price. If I went to a move-in ready home, I'd get unpacked and then just sit there and say, "what now?" All too anticlimactic for me. *L*)

So I'm presently trying to contact the owner and get more information on the place, and if everything sounds hopeful, I'll make a trip out there to take a look.

If not, I keep looking. There is still alot of country to search for "the last place" I'll probably ever live, so it'll be important to choose wisely.

This thread has been an inspiration. I figured everyone else my age came in pairs and there weren't many single females setting out to seek their fortunes elsewhere in the later years of their lives like me.

I sit corrected.

Old 01-31-2012, 08:13 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,690 posts, read 57,994,855 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoIrishly View Post
...Somewhere in between Santa Fe and Taos ...Checked the place and area out on Google maps and Google Earth--an oasis Davis, New Mexico ....
as in here? Rociada, NM ? If so... a very small world... maybe we are zeroing in on something

I just spent a few days around there myself (stayed at a farm near Sapello).

I found Mora, NM to be quite nice, and am very interested in About Tapetes de Lana | Mora Valley Spinning Mill

I stayed with a guy who retired out of No CA (Bay Area professor).
Quite the learning curve for him.

I wouldn't mind it there for awhile, but not my idea of final retirement spot. I am just too fixated on having international access, as I like to travel more than be home (for the time being, the past, and probably the future).

Currently being 20 minutes from a GREAT(small) direct international airport, yet living in a national scenic area with no neighbors to look at (or hear), seems to be smoothing my distaste for 280 days of drizzle / yr. It helps that I frequently escape. Was booked to leave in 10 hrs for Hill Country TX, (on a $59 fare)... but... it is raining there and sunny here. (kinda) so.... I'm staying home this time. (Thanks to SWA very friendly 'exchange' policy. I Luv SWA ) $39 to Sacramento, so I jet there in an hour and get a $10 / day rental car. I also do DEN several x / yr. (From Colorado 'originally') 57 is a very nice age to be...eventually but not quite yet... (If I had only known, then (age 16)... ...what I THINK I know NOW)

Old 01-31-2012, 10:21 PM

13 posts, read 190,701 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post

as in here? Rociada, NM ? If so... a very small world... maybe we are zeroing in on something
Yes! The very same.

Quote:
I just spent a few days around there myself (stayed at a farm near Sapello).

I found Mora, NM to be quite nice, and am very interested in About Tapetes de Lana | Mora Valley Spinning Mill
How cool! I've been interested in spinning for quite a while, but never had the right fencing for sheep.

Quote:
I stayed with a guy who retired out of No CA (Bay Area professor).
Quite the learning curve for him.

I wouldn't mind it there for awhile, but not my idea of final retirement spot. I am just too fixated on having international access, as I like to travel more than be home (for the time being, the past, and probably the future).
How far is the nearest international airport from Rociada NM? Never considered that, and I love to travel too.

Quote:
Currently being 20 minutes from a GREAT(small) direct international airport, yet living in a national scenic area with no neighbors to look at (or hear), seems to be smoothing my distaste for 280 days of drizzle / yr. It helps that I frequently escape. Was booked to leave in 10 hrs for Hill Country TX, (on a $59 fare)... but... it is raining there and sunny here. (kinda) so.... I'm staying home this time. (Thanks to SWA very friendly 'exchange' policy. I Luv SWA ) $39 to Sacramento, so I jet there in an hour and get a $10 / day rental car. I also do DEN several x / yr. (From Colorado 'originally') 57 is a very nice age to be...eventually but not quite yet... (If I had only known, then (age 16)... ...what I THINK I know NOW)
That's a great rate from CRG to SAC! I'm going to have to check out SWA's specials and go on some adventures like that. Last *real* vacation I had was my backpacking trip to Ireland back in '04. The entire trip cost a little under $2k for the two weeks I trekked across the island, all expenses including airfare. If I could live there, I would, even though the weather changes its clothes several times a day. Too bad the exchange rate is so terrible now. Today's cost for the same adventure would be almost twice what I spent then.

Yeah, I wish I knew then (teens) what I *think* I know now. It would have been a smoother ride--maybe. *LOL*
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement