Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-15-2012, 10:36 AM

5,139 posts, read 8,849,708 times

Advertisements

yes, please do. I'd love to hear your thoughts...the crime stats are scarying me (although I'm told it's better than it used to be),I really don't want to live where I have to worry about crime at my age. Seems people either think Richmond is beautiful or a total ghetto.

Old 06-15-2012, 07:46 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
yes, please do. I'd love to hear your thoughts...the crime stats are scarying me (although I'm told it's better than it used to be),I really don't want to live where I have to worry about crime at my age. Seems people either think Richmond is beautiful or a total ghetto.
I have been drawn to Virginia, but I wouldn't choose Richmond. Doesn't seem like a place you move to in retirement, maybe from (just my impression). Other parts of VA, I can see retiring to. It is quite hot/humid in summer. Probably some nice enclaves within the city, as in most cities, which all have crime more or less. How about the lovely towns in the Blue Ridge Mtns?

Old 06-15-2012, 11:43 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,020,411 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bridgerider View Post
Wow!! I posted in this thread a loooong time ago....then was off CD for some time; (life!)...& thx to loveautum's post on a VA thread, I found this thread once more. The fact that it's a sticky really says something about the enormous number of women going it alone as we age. I am glad this is still going -- it's inspiring & nice to know a "web" of support exists!
Welcome back ! I remember you as Piperspal (I was MN2CO) - everyone needs a change now and then. Last time I knew you were thinking TN - have you changed your mind?

Old 06-16-2012, 01:06 AM

5,589 posts, read 8,405,261 times
Quote:
most in the group are over age 50 some ages 80+ personally
TRosa, those ladies in the bikinis sure look good if they're 50+! Anyway, looks like you have a fun crowd! I will definitely have to meet up with you next time I come down.

Loveautumn, I would never judge a town by what I see passing through on the interstate. The view passing through Philly isn't great either, or Orange County, CA, or many other places that are great places to live. Also, crime stats can be misleading. On the Sarasota-Bradenton thread, someone was concerned about moving to Bradenton because of the crime stats, but yet much of the crime is gang-on-gang crime, not having to do with your average citizen. Still, it's sure tough to make a long-term commitment to a place without actually living there to take in the total experience.

Old 06-16-2012, 10:08 AM

2,863 posts, read 1,808,197 times
Posted to the Thread on this Forum titled Retiring to Arkansas, Missouri, Main and other COL place and mentioned this Thread. Asked about NC, TN, received some positive feedback. One Poster mentioned Ky, they in Prospect, KY.

Question: Have you moved in your later years, single to a new town. Please share your experiences. As much as I think/pray about moving into a town, into a smaller home, condo, do not like to think of starting over again. Have been
bless to make wonderful friends wherever we/I lived. Have lived in present location 18 years in this home.

Old 06-17-2012, 11:03 AM

2,418 posts, read 2,036,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Welcome back ! I remember you as Piperspal (I was MN2CO) - everyone needs a change now and then. Last time I knew you were thinking TN - have you changed your mind?
Yep that's me! I got a new pc & couldnt access my old acct, so I notified a moderator. They werent able to fix it either, so I just re-registered...no biggee. I am still interested in TN but since I will still be working at least another ten years (probably 20!), I've been looking at VA & NC as well. The more research I started doing, the more I realized how little I know! So now I am even reading up on Delaware, Kentucky, and Maryland. I have made several scouting trips south and the only thing I know for sure is that the mid-Atlantic is for me. Hopefully September/October visits will help me narrow it down.

Old 06-17-2012, 04:07 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Not to change the subject but...I was curious about the weather/temp elsewhere today and saw that in central Arizona the temp is 106 today and over 110 for the rest of the week, as high as 112. I would be toast, I mean dead on my feet, unless I hid away in an air conditioned room. How do you Southwest ladies handle this kind of heat? Do you stay inside?

Old 06-17-2012, 04:30 PM

2,841 posts, read 3,198,705 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Not to change the subject but...I was curious about the weather/temp elsewhere today and saw that in central Arizona the temp is 106 today and over 110 for the rest of the week, as high as 112. I would be toast, I mean dead on my feet, unless I hid away in an air conditioned room. How do you Southwest ladies handle this kind of heat? Do you stay inside?
It's a dry heat, humidity less than 4%. When the monsoon arrives and the humidity goes up to maybe 30%, it wipes me out.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:27 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,316,296 times
the hardest thing I am facing right now is to be patient and let things unfold.

I am 60 and could retire anytime, but it makes sense to work until SS kicks in. My home is underwater here in FL so until that situation resolves, it is probably wise not to encourage my 'want to'. Ultimately I fully intend to return to my home area. but then there is the underwater thing. i think my move to the home area applies since it has been 30+ years so much has changed.

Now is just not the time. and it is best to work while you can to save as much as possible.

But I am so anxious to make my move NOW.

thanks for listening. just had to get it off my chest. i am not a patient person.

Old 06-17-2012, 05:42 PM

419 posts, read 758,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
You would not be toast, you would be joining me and MotleyCrew over at the Bell Center here in Sun City to enjoy the large walking pool, lap pool & sauna. Yes, I do get into the sauna for about 10 minutes even in this heat.

I especially love the walking pool because I can actually walk in the water without experiencing pain. Motley and I have some great conversations & laughs as we walk the laps. The pools are a great place to meet a lot of friendly people. Time tends to fly by while there.

Homes, cars, restaurants, retail stores and shopping centers are air conditioned. So, you leave your home jump into your car & turn the air on high. You drive to your destination and turn off the engine. You remember to put your sun shield up against the windshield and get out of the car. You walk briskly into the establishment. Wow, that cold air feels great. Soon you walk briskly to your car. You get in turn on the engine and turn the air on high. You remove the sun shield and drive toward home. Once you walk into the house you think boy, that cool air feels great. A pattern repeated over & over again during these AZ summers.

Actually, the Monsoon season which brings higher humidity has not arrived yet. So, even though the temperatures are high the mornings & evenings are still quite pleasant. In fact, many people are still out and about driving their golf carts to get to their destinations.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement