Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-06-2012, 11:00 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,019,188 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sera View Post
Suggestion: Perhaps those of us who find the Thread helpful, could Post each day. For myself, would make the effort
to do this. Have Posted regularly to another Thread on another site and it too, has been going for YEARS !
Good idea - I would like to keep it in view (close to top) for new people. I think all votes done by males should be removed from the poll

Old 07-07-2012, 12:45 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,003 times
Default Where's the poll?

Will someone please give directions to find the poll? Thanks !

I guess I'm one of the old timers on this thread, remembering way back when Wisteria created it. Over the years of participation, I've had email exchanges with several of the women contributors, some are my facebook friends and perhaps one of these days we will meet in person. I find it very rewarding to know there others who share the same situations. I vote to continue the sticky So where is the poll .....

Old 07-07-2012, 12:49 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,128,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ConeyIsBabe View Post
Will someone please give directions to find the poll? Thanks !

I guess I'm one of the old timers on this thread, remembering way back when Wisteria created it. Over the years of participation, I've had email exchanges with several of the women contributors, some are my facebook friends and perhaps one of these days we will meet in person. I find it very rewarding to know there others who share the same situations. I vote to continue the sticky So where is the poll .....
Here is a link to the poll:

Stickies in Retirement Forum

Old 07-07-2012, 10:57 PM

5 posts, read 7,646 times
I just discovered this thread and would welcome any suggestions in regards to relocating. I like warm weather and do not want to walk or drive in snow at this stage of my life

In 2005 I bought my present home thinking I would live the rest of my life surrounded by beautiful mountains and very mild winters. Summers are hot but not unbearable. I schedule my vacation time so I am away the hottest month.

The past five years I desperately wanted out of the state of Arizona. I've been holding off on putting the house up for sale hoping the market would turn around and I could walk away with a small profit. Realizing it's not going to happen I finally put it on the market this week. I will be happy to break even, and now must find a new place.

Old 07-07-2012, 11:39 PM

2,863 posts, read 1,807,201 times
Welcome Sueno!

When I have asked such a question as yours, am asked to give specifics, like a large town, where in the U.S.A./
Please keep reading the Threads, asking questions. The Forum is very helpful.

Old 07-08-2012, 11:43 AM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sueño View Post
I just discovered this thread and would welcome any suggestions in regards to relocating. I like warm weather and do not want to walk or drive in snow at this stage of my life

In 2005 I bought my present home thinking I would live the rest of my life surrounded by beautiful mountains and very mild winters. Summers are hot but not unbearable. I schedule my vacation time so I am away the hottest month.

The past five years I desperately wanted out of the state of Arizona. I've been holding off on putting the house up for sale hoping the market would turn around and I could walk away with a small profit. Realizing it's not going to happen I finally put it on the market this week. I will be happy to break even, and now must find a new place.
I love Tucson. I live a couple hundred miles north of you but I think our weather is pretty similar to Tucson. Well, closer to the weather at Sonoita/Patagonia maybe. Pretty much the same vegetation, etc.. Your part of the state seems to get a LOT more rain and storms than mine does though. Last Aug. I was down there for a three day weekend and got caught up in that really bad storm that closed Ina Rd. for days! What a mess!!

Would you consider staying instate if you just moved further north? Not Flagstaff...TOO cold to me, most of the year. I loved living in Payson. Not too cold, not too hot, a little snow that melted off within the day, etc.. Lived there over 14 years. Any higher up on the Rim was too cold for me. Prescott was a good place to live too. Pretty much like Payson but a lot bigger. Since I prefer smaller towns Payson was about perfect for me.

I'm heading north for vacation this year myself, first week of August. Going up to OR by way of NV and coming back via CA. I love OR, and lived there 11 years, but my body won't 'take it' anymore. I'll be gone ten days and am really looking forward to it. I don't blame you for leaving the hottest month(s)!

Good luck selling your house and hope you find the "perfect place for YOU".

Old 07-08-2012, 02:02 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,433,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sueño View Post

The past five years I desperately wanted out of the state of Arizona. (snipped)
Doing the math, this means you've wanted out of the state since 2007, only 2 years after you bought the house in Tucson. Can we ask why you want out? It would help with any relocation ideas ...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post

I loved living in Payson. Not too cold, not too hot, a little snow that melted off within the day, etc.. Lived there over 14 years. Any higher up on the Rim was too cold for me. Prescott was a good place to live too. Pretty much like Payson but a lot bigger. Since I prefer smaller towns Payson was about perfect for me.
Payson is smaller and cheaper than Prescott. Different counties, different property tax costs They are both beautiful towns.

Old 07-08-2012, 06:19 PM

8,775 posts, read 11,906,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gandalara View Post
Doing the math, this means you've wanted out of the state since 2007, only 2 years after you bought the house in Tucson. Can we ask why you want out? It would help with any relocation ideas ...

Payson is smaller and cheaper than Prescott. Different counties, different property tax costs They are both beautiful towns.
I'm not sure Payson is THAT much cheaper than Prescott. I've checked out real estate in both places quite a bit lately...found my old house is on the market again...and neither place has really cheap real estate. Last time I was in Payson, I admit, I was surprised at how much lower their gas prices were than here, or Prescott. Rents and food are pretty comparable, I think, and I don't remember how much I paid for utilities, etc.. I loved living in Payson and might again someday.

Old 07-08-2012, 07:59 PM

8,091 posts, read 15,433,844 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZDesertBrat View Post
I'm not sure Payson is THAT much cheaper than Prescott. I've checked out real estate in both places quite a bit lately...found my old house is on the market again...and neither place has really cheap real estate. Last time I was in Payson, I admit, I was surprised at how much lower their gas prices were than here, or Prescott. Rents and food are pretty comparable, I think, and I don't remember how much I paid for utilities, etc.. I loved living in Payson and might again someday.
Real estate, rent, gas, food and utilities are all cheaper on your side of the border compared to where I am, LOL My post was nothing against Payson - had a great time there AND I have the t-shirt to prove it!

As for property taxes, this is from a spreadsheet I have ...
(includes the AZ counties I considered. NOW you know one of the reasons I like Show Low)

County Median Real Estate Taxes Paid, Averaged over 2005 - 2009
(United States $1805)
CA Riverside County $2,391
AZ Yavapai County (Prescott, Ash Fork) $1,144
AZ Coconino County (Flagstaff, Williams) $1,027
AZ Gila County (Payson, Pine, Strawberry) $811
AZ Navajo County (Show Low) $403

According to the their city-data pages cost of living is
(United States 100.00)
Prescott 94.3
Payson 90.7
Where I am now 114.6

Old 07-08-2012, 10:51 PM

5 posts, read 7,646 times
Sera:
Thanks for the welcome. I would like to stay in an area with mild weather, a small to medium town with good medical and shopping. Next weekend I will be in Las Cruces, New Mexico, some of the early post in this thread mentioned retirement there.

AZ Desert Brat:
I’ve spent time in Prescott, Jerome, Cottonwood, and Sedona.
Maybe if I had chosen the Verde Valley in 2005 I would not want to move.
I was out of town when the storm hit Tucson and Ina Road was closed so didn’t have to deal with the mess. I do not want to stay in Arizona, bad taste from Tucson/Pima County. Have a great trip in August, sounds like fun!

Gandalara:
Your math is correct, after two years in Tucson the attitude of people, outrageous utilities, high property taxes (mine went up 40% the second year), I live across the street from Tucson city limits. If you live outside city limits there is no Emergency 911 ambulance-fire coverage unless you subscribe. Range: $200-$1,600, this past year ambulance services became extra subscription of $256 on top of the fire coverage.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement