Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-15-2013, 04:46 AM

2,017 posts, read 3,190,652 times

Advertisements

As I have said before, this thread is so very helpful, especially about moving material via Fed Ex versus moving trucks, etc.

Also looking forward to Tondra's blog, and another poster's (popcorn427) trip out to Lafayette, In. this spring/summer. So many other helpful info from others too!

Thanks for all the great insight and info! I really appreciate it.

Old 03-15-2013, 04:32 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,201 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondra View Post
I have moved from North to Mid-South (NC) and I have not regretted my decision once. I am a divorcee, so I originally knew absolutely no one when I moved here and only had a minimum wage job. There are challenges no matter where you move. You really need to make a list of 'deal breakers' first and stick by them.

If you have any questions for me, I would be happy to answer them. As soon as my blog, Women's Radical Retirement, is completed, I would be more than happy to notifiy you that it is fully functional (just learning how to do web design...Yikes! Didn't realize it would be so complex. So it is slow learning curve for this older gal.)

I wish you a lot of luck finding your final home. I did a lot of research for over 10 years to make the best decision. That is why I want to do the website so others don't have to take that long to make an informed decision.

Tondra
Great advice. I like the list of deal-breakers. Just the logistics of moving out of state solo are daunting, let alone meeting people, etc. And thanks for the heads up on your website. Yes, PM me when it's up and running! I have been doing research for 2 years, but will move this summer one way or the other. I'm turning 65 and the Medicare issue is the driving factor. Thanks again for your good post!

Old 03-15-2013, 04:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tondra View Post
I have moved from North to Mid-South (NC) and I have not regretted my decision once. I am a divorcee, so I originally knew absolutely no one when I moved here and only had a minimum wage job. There are challenges no matter where you move. You really need to make a list of 'deal breakers' first and stick by them.

If you have any questions for me, I would be happy to answer them. As soon as my blog, Women's Radical Retirement, is completed, I would be more than happy to notifiy you that it is fully functional (just learning how to do web design...Yikes! Didn't realize it would be so complex. So it is slow learning curve for this older gal.)

I wish you a lot of luck finding your final home. I did a lot of research for over 10 years to make the best decision. That is why I want to do the website so others don't have to take that long to make an informed decision.

Tondra
One question does come to mind about the differences from north to mid-south (NC). I'm assuming your overall cost of living dropped, but did you experience a lot of cultural differences?

Old 03-15-2013, 04:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iagal View Post
As I have said before, this thread is so very helpful, especially about moving material via Fed Ex versus moving trucks, etc.

Also looking forward to Tondra's blog, and another poster's (popcorn427) trip out to Lafayette, In. this spring/summer. So many other helpful info from others too!

Thanks for all the great insight and info! I really appreciate it.
Yes, a lot of people don't realize how accommodating the FedEx "home delivery" option is for shipping boxes to a residential address. They will hold the shipment for up to 2 weeks from your ship date to give you time to get to your new destination. Having a definite date of delivery makes it possible to plan your move.

Old 03-15-2013, 11:47 PM

915 posts, read 1,624,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
One question does come to mind about the differences from north to mid-south (NC). I'm assuming your overall cost of living dropped, but did you experience a lot of cultural differences?
What "cultural differences" do people think exist in the south v the north?

Old 03-16-2013, 07:35 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,014,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
What "cultural differences" do people think exist in the south v the north?
Well, bless your heart mzfroggez - how's it going in Anderson? Do you like it?

Old 03-16-2013, 11:57 AM

25 posts, read 31,020 times
Default Differences in culture

Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
Depending on where you come from and where you move to the differences will vary. I am originally from MI and learned a fair amount about the mountain people (Those who have lived here for generations.) There are some language differences (in this area when you say "tobaggon" it means hat, back home it means a sled), courtesies, insects and snakes particular to this area that I was not aware, tightness of a particular area--difficult to enter into new groups of people, driving style is different due to the terrain, weather and laws (for instance, here you are considered to have a common law marriage if you have lived in the same domicle for 3 months! In MI it is 7 yrs.), style of living, etc.

When deciding on a place to live, check out the state and towns you are considering. Then visit city and Chamber of Commerce websites. This gives you a lot of good info to starting your search. In fact, when I visited this area for the first time I found a club called the Michigan Club. So I contacted one of the members and found her to be very welcoming, so much so, that she offered a room in her home for my first stay. Fantastic individual and I just made my first friend.

If anyone would like a heads up when my website is functional, send me a private message so I can put you on the list.

Happy Hunting!

Old 03-16-2013, 11:59 AM

25 posts, read 31,020 times
Glad to hear you wish a heads up for my website. Just send me a quick message as I am keeping messages in my inbox of people who want an invite.

Feel free to ask me any questions you may have.

Tondra

P.S Still learning how this forum works. Was trying to send xz2y and Mzfroggez a personal msg, but y'all are invited to join the list.

Old 03-16-2013, 08:59 PM

915 posts, read 1,624,548 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Well, bless your heart mzfroggez - how's it going in Anderson? Do you like it?
lol - you little carolinian, you.................

oh geez - if i had a few hours to cover all the twists and turns.................

for the moment, totally totally in the quagmire of confusion

supposed to have closed last thursday (was that only two days ago?)

some terribly serious sad things have occurred (i'm in denial just now) and then there's the Murphy's law issues..........which explains why i have been very quiet about things ............however, i had actually gotten to the point that I thought it would happen but so go the plans of mice and men.....

abbreviated version as best I can :

House inspection was to happen on March 4
Got moved as contractor wasnt done doing the purely cosmetic crap
Inspection happened on March 8 -
Contractor had the painting etc done -
just forgot to hook up things such as the duct work/hot water heater/dishwasher/tighten the faucets so two leaks sprung/neither ac would work and surprise, they found knob & tube active wiring in one part of the house - needless to say, the inspection report was 37 pages long..............
the termite report was in limbo despite supposedly having been done a week before
i had things in the car to drop off in anderson - i returned "home" with the carful knowing if I left them at the house that the deal would fall through completely
The inspector was to expedite the report but didn't hear anything so finally contacted him- his mom had died that morning.....oh geez
Monday march 11 presented seller with the request of what i wanted repaired - no negotiation - i didnt ask for the world but said i expected a working & safe house
he started balking - stalemate -
canceled movers for march 13
canceled closing for march 14
my six year old grandaughter died that afternoon
i am persona non grata so i will grieve in my own way - i.e. i'm not expected to show up at the services - my ex finally called to let me know what was going on about the time she took her last breath
i doubt i will ever speak to the s.o.b. again
like i said, i am so in denial & angry & heartbroken at the same time
honestly do not know what will happen next week
right now don't care if the house goes through = the seller can pretty much shove it up his ..... and he probably shouldn't screw with me at the present time
i shouldn't put this all in the same post but this is definitely a life happens sort of week
if i stay analytical, i may actually make some good decisions as a result. right now, hoping for an earthquake to hit some very specific places and eat some people.......

Old 03-16-2013, 09:14 PM

5,326 posts, read 6,011,554 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
lol - you little carolinian, you.................

oh geez - if i had a few hours to cover all the twists and turns.................

for the moment, totally totally in the quagmire of confusion

supposed to have closed last thursday (was that only two days ago?)

some terribly serious sad things have occurred (i'm in denial just now) and then there's the Murphy's law issues..........which explains why i have been very quiet about things ............however, i had actually gotten to the point that I thought it would happen but so go the plans of mice and men.....

abbreviated version as best I can :

House inspection was to happen on March 4
Got moved as contractor wasnt done doing the purely cosmetic crap
Inspection happened on March 8 -
Contractor had the painting etc done -
just forgot to hook up things such as the duct work/hot water heater/dishwasher/tighten the faucets so two leaks sprung/neither ac would work and surprise, they found knob & tube active wiring in one part of the house - needless to say, the inspection report was 37 pages long..............
the termite report was in limbo despite supposedly having been done a week before
i had things in the car to drop off in anderson - i returned "home" with the carful knowing if I left them at the house that the deal would fall through completely
The inspector was to expedite the report but didn't hear anything so finally contacted him- his mom had died that morning.....oh geez
Monday march 11 presented seller with the request of what i wanted repaired - no negotiation - i didnt ask for the world but said i expected a working & safe house
he started balking - stalemate -
canceled movers for march 13
canceled closing for march 14
my six year old grandaughter died that afternoon
i am persona non grata so i will grieve in my own way - i.e. i'm not expected to show up at the services - my ex finally called to let me know what was going on about the time she took her last breath
i doubt i will ever speak to the s.o.b. again
like i said, i am so in denial & angry & heartbroken at the same time
honestly do not know what will happen next week
right now don't care if the house goes through = the seller can pretty much shove it up his ..... and he probably shouldn't screw with me at the present time
i shouldn't put this all in the same post but this is definitely a life happens sort of week
if i stay analytical, i may actually make some good decisions as a result. right now, hoping for an earthquake to hit some very specific places and eat some people.......
I am so, so, sorry for your loss. Do you have someone who can help pull you through this? This isn't just a bump in the road, this is a true cluster****.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.