Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2013, 10:43 AM

6,957 posts, read 12,053,480 times

Advertisements

OMG !!! Shrinking 3 inches in a matter of months. That has to be one for the books.
I am hearing more and more about docs not taking Medicare. Maybe I should just stay here (AZ)where half the population is on Medicare and docs would have no income if they didn't take it. LMAO at above post !!!

Old 05-17-2013, 11:52 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,015,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Just see if the practice/clinic is owned by Mission in Asheville or by one of the other hospitals in the area. If it isn't, and this is true all over the country, do not assume whatever has been their business model in the past will remain their business model next year.

I know this is hard to fathom, b/c 2014 is really only a matter of months away. Hospitals and physician practices are scrambling to figure out how to deal with declining revenues, shortfalls and the anticipation of an onslaught of literally millions of additional patients.
Ani - I found another brochure for a clinic affiliated (owned????) by Mission Hosp. This info will help with the selection when I get there. Just when I thought it was safe to go in the water...

Old 05-17-2013, 01:11 PM

915 posts, read 1,624,676 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PhxBarb View Post
OMG !!! Shrinking 3 inches in a matter of months. That has to be one for the books.
I am hearing more and more about docs not taking Medicare. Maybe I should just stay here (AZ)where half the population is on Medicare and docs would have no income if they didn't take it. LMAO at above post !!!
no no no! - you can't stay in Phoenix!! I close on a house (i shouldn't say that and jinx it) one week from today in Anderson SC ! You have to join the WNC/Upstate SC migration! I believe Umbria is heading this way as well!! But she is doing Asheville (My housing and income tax budget were better suited to SC)

living in a place called UPstate , I can only gain in stature

Old 05-17-2013, 05:10 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,015,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post
no no no! - you can't stay in Phoenix!! I close on a house (i shouldn't say that and jinx it) one week from today in Anderson SC ! You have to join the WNC/Upstate SC migration! I believe Umbria is heading this way as well!! But she is doing Asheville (My housing and income tax budget were better suited to SC)

Yep - and you're not that far away so no excuses - I want to see the shrinking woman

Old 05-18-2013, 12:28 PM

5,544 posts, read 8,310,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mzfroggez View Post

Anderson and upstate SC overall is a good place to retire that would suit me as well. Am sure you have checked it out and feel comfortable with your choice.

Lots of history, parks, free entertainment. Easy living. close to horse shows, concerts, etc. Day trips or stay around the town. Everything you need and affordable. Have lived in Greenville and most of my mother's ancestors are from Abbeville, Pickens, Oconee and Walhalla. Anderson is a bigger town not far away from those places. Growth and convenience is only going to get better between Atlanta, Greenville/Spartanburg, and Charlotte.

Good choice!

If I hadn't been raised near Asheville and had no emotional and family ties there, upstate would be the first place I would look.

Good luck and enjoy

Old 05-21-2013, 06:17 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Still laughing after reading this line Are you & the troll now an "item"?
Hahaha No, that troll and I are not an "item"........

Old 05-21-2013, 06:22 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,817,731 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
Just a quick heads up -- and probably unnecessary . . . but in case any of you are doing research on physicians in an area you are considering . . . surveys are showing that about 1/2 the docs now employed in this country either will be closing or have already closed their practice to accepting new Medicare patients (and often, Medicaid patients, as well).

This is not conjecture. This is occurring now. Docs who are employed by hospitals will, overall, still be accepting Medicare patients, assuming that the hospital has to do so in order to keep their Medicare licensure. So while you are inquiring, find out if the practice is owned by the hospital. If it isn't, be aware that at some point in 2014, most likely 1 Jan 2014, many private practices will no longer be taking new Medicare patients -- and some will not be accepting Medicare patients at all.

Several of the physician practices I have had reason to work with professionally have already done this.
Thanks for the heads up and info on this. I will add this to my "worry" list. I think my decision about where to retire may hinge on the availability of docs taking new medicare patients.....I have other criteria, but that one is rising to the top of the list! Thanks again!

Old 05-23-2013, 05:33 AM

2,592 posts, read 2,282,273 times
I recently went to a financial seminar on retirement. The speaker said to find a young doctor that accepts Medicare patients. That way if in the future they stop accepting new patients, you are already in their practice.

Old 05-23-2013, 06:53 AM

428 posts, read 643,290 times
good idea--it's not what you know, it's WHO you know!

Old 05-23-2013, 03:19 PM

977 posts, read 1,109,149 times
I was recently told in a support group that some Drs will accept Medicare patients if they will pay the difference between what Medicare will cover and what the Dr's normal charges are......just a thought, but not one I'm too happy with, lol! I still have over 2 years to go before I reach the correct age for Medicare. I wonder what will be happening by then, plus I plan to move once again in the coming year, so don't feel that I can "lock in" my Dr yet.

Wherever I move, I know I will run out of money if I live to be the usual age in my 80's.... but all I can do is plan as I'm able, and be thrifty. I can't work, but do try to sell a little here and there (handmade jewelry, collages). I am often overwhelmed when trying to understand the new technology and also can't really afford any new gadgets, like an Iphone for a card reader, for instance. I have a little tracphone just for emergencies, otherwise I have a landline connection thru Ooma which only costs me about $4 a month. I get so discouraged.

I've been hoping to find another, cheaper place to move and put the money realized from the sale of my house into savings. But the pickings are slim in the price range I'm considering, so I'm afraid to sell my house first then only have a month to find a place to move into. I can't really spare the money to rent for a while or move twice, not to mention the strain on my health. so.....I stay here for a while longer, I guess.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement