Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 08-17-2015, 06:58 PM

6,954 posts, read 12,023,860 times

Advertisements

Gottamove: Why do you have to move to be close to your daughter? It sounds like you have an ideal situation where you are and at 6500 ft, it seems like summers would be great. Yes, water is a concern for all of us, especially in the dry desert areas. I love perennials too and would probably sneak them some H2O just to keep them alive. Where are you in central Utah??

Old 08-17-2015, 09:22 PM

Location: Approximately 50 miles from Missoula MT/38 yrs full time after 4 yrs part time
2,308 posts, read 4,109,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gottamove52 View Post
I am over 60 and have to move from my slice of heaven to a lower elevation..which is breaking my heart. Here, I am surrounded by mountains, have the desert 40 minutes away...at 6500 ft, the winters are mild, the summers too..I broke down and bought a whole house air conditioner 3 years ago..because August is daggone hot! The drought impacted us so that I couldn't water in the spring..and lost alot of perennials..even tho they are supposedly drought resistant. It was the first time in the 20 years I've lived here that water was restricted..but just for a few months.
Central Utah is a great place to retire...I'd sell my house to the first person that could pay the mortgage so I can leave.. sadly. If you like 4 wheeling, hunting, and hiking, you'd love it here...
Sounds like you might be in Sanpete County, or in one of the adjacent counties. I do feel "your pain".........I searched and researched many, many areas in various states out west before I decided where I wanted to live and work the remaining 13 years to retirement and not have to move again in my lifetime. I was lucky, I had a job that required extensive travel throughout (the rural and back-country areas) of about 14 states in the western U.S and made 'the-big-move' at age 48 to a beautiful valley in western Montana (aka The Banana Belt). I'm not a person that likes to live in a town or city, thus I'm approx 12 miles from a town of approx 4500 pop & elevation of 3659 feet.

Hope you can relocate to somewhere in 'your new state' that suites your life-style. Good luck to you.

Old 08-17-2015, 09:34 PM

7,023 posts, read 6,254,979 times
Is there no way you can stay there? I know when I was in San Francisco, I loved it so much. 6 blocks from the ocean, next to Golden Gate Park. It was a dream come true. But, the company I worked for downsized & the new managers were awful. I quit & before I could even try to find a new job, my family called & said my mom needed help. I still remember walking to the Ocean to say goodbye. I swore I would be back, but life happened & now it is so far out of my budget I doubt if I could even visit. All my friends from there have moved to lower col. I just wish you could stay where you love but, unfortunately, sometimes life happens. Good luck & many wishes you find another spot you love.

Old 08-20-2015, 03:08 PM

741 posts, read 1,376,864 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I've known people with SAD who did remarkably better in a very sunny climate, be it Florida or Arizona or New Mexico. Me, when I lived in Santa Fe, as much as I loved the perfect dry air and temperatures, found the daily blinding sun sort of disorienting- no room for moods, especially down ones. I gather winter has the same effect on some people, too. I agree with meo that there is often an existing depression, but that it is somewhat mutable to external factors like weather and light.
Weather is very important to me. I have reverse or summer SAD and don't enjoy the unrelenting brightness of New Mexico at all. My search is from Vancouver BC south to La Jolla. Yes, it is bright in central California but the ocean can mitigate just about anything. So can a lot of $$$$, the lack of which eliminates Napa, San Francisco, Morro Bay, San Clemente and Encinitas. Without a serious infusion of that $$$$, which I don't anticipate, California will probably just remain a dream.

Mostly I am concentrating on the greater Seattle area (just added Fairhaven thanks to this forum topic), and the central Oregon coast south to Brookings. Depoe Bay, Oregon is another favorite.

Old 08-21-2015, 10:46 PM

21 posts, read 19,654 times
Unfortunately I will be relocating and leaving my daughter and grandbaby for the beach life in South Carolina. I am retired, 57, and have neuropathy so bad in my feet that only walking on sand seems to help. I will try it for awhile and see what happens. I hear it is not as friendly as everyone is moving there, but who doesn't love the beach. A lot of activities and not far from the mountains of NC and Tenn when it gets too hot.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:28 AM

8,228 posts, read 14,185,562 times
I do feel that for alone people, or seniors moving on their own without family it can be important to move somewhere there are a lot of............not transients but new people who weren't born and bred there type areas. Retirement destinations, touristy, college towns.
At least that is what I feel I need. As a bit of an introvert I find it hard enough to connect never mind not part of a couple/family.

I would also like some place small but with a medical facility around, great nature wildlife all around, friendly to newcomers, and a bonus would be a military base/VA center within a few hours.
Other than mapping ever base and VA medical center, then mapping every college and nature area and then redefining by cost of living etc. I'm not sure how to do this Those "best places to retire" don't use my criteria have they have a whole staff to do it, or are just selling some location that has paid them IDK.

Old 08-22-2015, 07:43 AM

2,790 posts, read 6,109,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Giesela View Post
I do feel that for alone people, or seniors moving on their own without family it can be important to move somewhere there are a lot of............not transients but new people who weren't born and bred there type areas. Retirement destinations, touristy, college towns.
At least that is what I feel I need. As a bit of an introvert I find it hard enough to connect never mind not part of a couple/family.

I would also like some place small but with a medical facility around, great nature wildlife all around, friendly to newcomers, and a bonus would be a military base/VA center within a few hours.
Other than mapping ever base and VA medical center, then mapping every college and nature area and then redefining by cost of living etc. I'm not sure how to do this Those "best places to retire" don't use my criteria have they have a whole staff to do it, or are just selling some location that has paid them IDK.
Well, I have been living in a retirement, touristy location for 40+ years! I want to move away from this. I want to move to where people feel a real connection to their community and reach out and help people. I find that down here (south Florida) people come and go so often that it is difficult to make deep connections. Also, seems to be fewer 'good Samaritans' who are willing to come to the aid of someone in difficulty. I found this out many years ago, when my car overheated as I was driving across the state on the Tamiami Trail. No one stopped to help me.

Old 08-22-2015, 12:10 PM

8,228 posts, read 14,185,562 times
Yes, ell, I know when I lived in Neb people were helpful in situations like that. But it wasn't like they ever became friends. They were local and had all the friends and familyof long Nebraska standing they needed or wanted. There were 2 groups, natives and non natives.

Old 08-22-2015, 01:30 PM

24,509 posts, read 24,138,331 times
I came to a decision last night. I am going to sell my home and move to central Florida. After our 45th reunion, then dinner out Thursday night, I finally looked into the prices of houses near my friends who already live down there. I wish I had looked 3 1/2 years ago when hubby died.

So I will be trading in the snow for sunshine and a pool! I don't need anything fancy or big, just a pool and central a/c. I should be able to pay cash for whatever I decide.

Tomorrow I start getting the house ready to put on the market. Major big deal since I have two households combined into one here.

Old 08-22-2015, 01:42 PM

2,790 posts, read 6,109,933 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tamiznluv View Post
I came to a decision last night. I am going to sell my home and move to central Florida. After our 45th reunion, then dinner out Thursday night, I finally looked into the prices of houses near my friends who already live down there. I wish I had looked 3 1/2 years ago when hubby died.

So I will be trading in the snow for sunshine and a pool! I don't need anything fancy or big, just a pool and central a/c. I should be able to pay cash for whatever I decide.

Tomorrow I start getting the house ready to put on the market. Major big deal since I have two households combined into one here.
Good luck to you! I hope all goes smoothly!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.