Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 01-04-2009, 11:03 AM

1,569 posts, read 3,402,042 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomoly View Post
Yeah, I know what you mean--exhausting!
Like, 'am I ever going to get there??'

I feel like my life came to an end in Tucson in 2000, and I've been struggling to build a new one ever since. The instability and uncertainty is stressful, even though I've enjoyed my time travelling, wandering, experiencing.
But, I am looking forward to having a 'home' with this trailer I'm purchasing. Seems like a 'go', but then everything in my life since 2000 seems to be endless 'broken dreams'. I get close to something that feels right, and then something happens, and that dream 'breaks' right in front of me. I've had to really be disciplined in my perspective. I have to keep remembering that "I do recognize what's right for me, and what's not, when I see it and feel it". Meaning --I just haven't found what I think I'm looking for yet, and I have to remember the 'gift' of being able to recognize the things that are NOT right, and to bounce away from them, in my search. Sometimes that's as good as it gets,
"NOT choosing what is NOT right."
Along the line, if you've read my posts, you'll see that I keep 'refining' what I'm aiming for, and that there are some 'silver threads' along the way. I've developed a pretty clear sense of WHAT'S ABSOLUTELY IMPORTANT, versus
WHAT I CAN LIVE WITH, versus
WHAT I CANNOT TOLERATE.
For me, I see the importance of weather throughout my life, and therefore can't compromise on a 'cold climate'.
Also, I'm looking for 'community', so I don't want a remote location, or a 'dead zone'. It also means that if we ladies come up with a real 'community plan' that becomes a reality, then that could, I say could, trump my weather preferences. But, ideally, it would be 'a warm weather community' .

I have more, but I really wanted to help you see the journey in progress, as you find your way into the future.
What's seems constant for me is a desire to live in Las Cruces area, and to connect with other like minded people (like this thread) who are considering that area. Buying the trailer gives me the flexibility to be part of ALL of my dreams (location, and community, and group living).
Because of that, I'm making sure I take advantage of connecting with some of you personally, as I will with Coney (she's a day person, I'm night, but I'll adjust my southbound trip in order to meet with her), and Wisteria, of course, who's halfway down to my destination in Yuma. It's important enough to adjust my trip to accomodate these meet-ups, and any other possibilities to meet up in the future.

So, I understand your sense of 'overwhelm'. Just keep looking for your 'common themes' of importance, or inability to tolerate, and let them guide you, however long it takes.
That's my wisdom, from my 9 year journey! (Let's hope the bottom doesn't drop out for me this time--I'm tired! )
points - lots of them if they'd let me give you any more Anomoly! I talked to a friend from WA who wants to visit and is open to going anywhere I want. I've never really explored southern New Mexico. I want to camp and go to Carlsbad, take a closer look at Las Cruces, and check out Silver City. I'm guessing spring - she's not into hot weather. I'm going to research events happening and campgrounds. If anyone is interested in meeting up in Las Cruces let me know.

I am rooting for you! It does feel good to have the home thing settled and grow some roots even if I decide someday to move again. The thing about struggling is we know we can survive, change, evolve, and choose to be happy in spite of the circumstances. Sure is nice when you get a break from it though and you are way overdue!

I can just see you settled in your new home soon!

Old 01-04-2009, 12:30 PM

Location: Monterey Bay, California -- watching the sea lions, whales and otters! :D
1,918 posts, read 6,784,597 times
Hi Folks,

I haven't talked to Anomoly yet, but will soon. We have to coordinate plans.

There are too many good posts to quote, so I'll just reply. I know that feeling of just deciding, "Okay, I'll just go to where you go! I have a friend in New York who said that, too. It's like we're all so exhausted in trying to find a place where we have a support system, nice surroundings, pretty scenery, good weather, and accessibility to things.

I think this economy is wearing everyone down! I am trying to figure out if I should try to sell this year, or will next year be better? Should I stay at this job for another 1 to 3 years to up my pension? What do I do? I feel the same way -- hook up with one or two or three other people and just go for it. With a support system to help each other along -- and trials and tribulations can bring people together, too -- it could work.

My vote right now is for Las Cruces or Chico/Paradise. Like many of you, I prefer the cooler, more cosmopolitan places (like San Francisco), but the prices are way too high. I noticed that many of us have talked about Santa Fe, Truth or Consequences, or Las Cruces, New Mexico, but I've not heard anyone mention Taos. Is that a place to consider, or too remote and expensive, too?

I also noticed that the Spaceport north of Las Cruces IS going in! Virgin Galactic actually signed the lease on Dec. 31st. So, it's a go! That could be good news for New Mexico.

I can't stay on right now, but will check back later. I know this is an exhausting search, and our on-line "family" is so nice, I wish we could just magically transport ourselves to one spot and just get on with living!

Maybe we will just need to be spontaneous!

Old 01-04-2009, 02:22 PM

2,171 posts, read 7,662,014 times
Don't forget to check out medical care. With retirement funds dwindling, being able to get good care with Medicare matters more.
You can plug a zip code into the search engine at
Medicare.gov - The Official U.S. Government Site for People with Medicare
and find out what Advantage plans are available in that area. Even if you stick with original Medicare or a company plan, more Advantage plans means more doctors willing to take Medicare. Doctors and hospitals can choose not to accept Medicare patients and payments.

Old 01-04-2009, 03:03 PM

Taos is too small and remote for me. I find towns around 60,000 to be a good size.

I'm really being lazy (must have been that night hike) so I started a spreadsheet with info on Las Cruces and Chico for comparison. Very basic stuff before I felt like I was at work and quit. One stat - the cost of living index in Las Cruces is 87.6 and Chico is 106.2 (US avg is 100.) Santa Fe is 104.8. I had to change it to a text file but you can convert it to Excel if anyone wants to add to it.
Attached Files
File Type: txt comparison.txt (9.9 KB, 220 views)

Old 01-04-2009, 06:08 PM

522 posts, read 1,429,651 times
Default What's the deal with Chico??

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dancingearth View Post
Taos is too small and remote for me. I find towns around 60,000 to be a good size.

I'm really being lazy (must have been that night hike) so I started a spreadsheet with info on Las Cruces and Chico for comparison. Very basic stuff before I felt like I was at work and quit. One stat - the cost of living index in Las Cruces is 87.6 and Chico is 106.2 (US avg is 100.) Santa Fe is 104.8. I had to change it to a text file but you can convert it to Excel if anyone wants to add to it.
I saw a couple of mentions about Chico--seems like it was mingled with chat about NM.
Does someone think they have something in common?? Well, maybe, if you're talking northern NM (Santa Fe)....
If you're comparing Chico and Southern New Mexico (Las Cruces), I don't get it....
One's the Southwest, Desert, and the other, Chico, to me is cold weather country up north. Maybe Chico seems warm, dry, deserty? I think of pine trees , which to me means COLD.

Oh yeah, and in case no one knew, Las Cruces has a low Cost of Living, and is rated the ' best city to retire to'. I don't push it too much, cuz most people 'are just NOT desert people'.. But I'd LOVE TO HAVE SOME OF YOU JOIN ME THERE!!!

Old 01-04-2009, 07:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by anomoly View Post
I saw a couple of mentions about Chico--seems like it was mingled with chat about NM.
Does someone think they have something in common?? Well, maybe, if you're talking northern NM (Santa Fe)....
If you're comparing Chico and Southern New Mexico (Las Cruces), I don't get it....
One's the Southwest, Desert, and the other, Chico, to me is cold weather country up north. Maybe Chico seems warm, dry, deserty? I think of pine trees , which to me means COLD.

Oh yeah, and in case no one knew, Las Cruces has a low Cost of Living, and is rated the ' best city to retire to'. I don't push it too much, cuz most people 'are just NOT desert people'.. But I'd LOVE TO HAVE SOME OF YOU JOIN ME THERE!!!
Earlier posts were interested in Chico CA (right?) as a retirement spot. After doing the little research I did between the two I would totally eliminate Chico CA as more expensive than Santa Fe! It was interesting to read that Las Cruces does not have the water concerns because of an underground reservoir. The difference in temperatures between Chico CA and LC weren't extreme. It will be interesting if you would share your experiences in Las Cruces. I know there are several theaters and a great used bookstore. I see there is a hiking meetup group. COL at 87.6 sounds good to me.

I also had to look up the cost of living index in Olympia, WA because it seems weird it could be more expensive than Santa Fe but it was - over 112.

Old 01-04-2009, 07:08 PM

1,236 posts, read 4,048,003 times
Unhappy Crime

Las Cruces sounds very nice from all I've read but when I finally relocate to what might be my last move...... I want it to be in a very low-crime area which would exclude being near (or within a 2-hour drive to) the Mexican border. Having worked 18 years in a law-enforcement environment has left me with a sensitivity to the criminal element - a fear of it

Of course, there is no guarantee that even a low-crime, upscale area is 100%safe because I was victimized twice when I lived in s/Miami - I was the victim of a purse-snatch and my home was burglarized

Still, I really would prefer to live in an area where the statistics indicate a low probability rather than a higher probability of serious criminal activity

P.S. Speaking of living in an expensive area.......... y'all seem to exclude a lot of very nice areas because "it's too expensive". My opinion of that is: YES, living in a very desirable city is expensive, but there are so many ways of living frugally and cutting down on costs that IMHO having the best LOCATION offering the most desirable lifestyle just makes life more worthwhile, rather than living in a very low-cost area where there are fewer options (SHOOT..... that's where I live now!!!)

Old 01-04-2009, 08:24 PM

3,517 posts, read 13,260,698 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miruca View Post
P.S. Speaking of living in an expensive area.......... y'all seem to exclude a lot of very nice areas because "it's too expensive". My opinion of that is: YES, living in a very desirable city is expensive, but there are so many ways of living frugally and cutting down on costs that IMHO having the best LOCATION offering the most desirable lifestyle just makes life more worthwhile, rather than living in a very low-cost area where there are fewer options (SHOOT..... that's where I live now!!!)
You have a good point. But some places are just too much (like SFO). There are more moderate cities with many of the amenities we want. It really is a trade-off of what kind of lifestyle we want and what we can afford.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:10 AM

384 posts, read 990,193 times
In response to earlier comments re my location, I am from further north than Olympia - I am in Alaska. This board as helped me to see that I am already a community with some of the built in benefits of an "intentional community" - and it just happened that way without intent.

Dancingearth - I enjoy your posts about Santa Fe and admire your initiative in seeking opportunities to develop friendships and an interesting lifestyle. Keep filling that calendar and I'm sure that over time an excellent daily life will be yours.

TerryC11 - thanks for the census data link.

Who is from the San Francisco region? I just spent quite a bit of time there for two surgeries at UCSF and will be returning for followups. I stayed mostly in San Rafael - a great but expensive town. Years ago I found fabulous pottery in S. CA ... but could not afford it. A couple of years ago I decided to give myself a gift and tracked down the artist - she lives in San Rafael. In her 80's she is vibrant and passionate about her work and her life. Visiting with her is a delight and it has caused me to think more about the importance of having something you are passionate about...especially as we grow older.

Old 01-05-2009, 12:13 AM

384 posts, read 990,193 times
I'm not sure what happened to the spelling in my second sentence ... it should say ... this board has helped me to see that I am already IN a community with some of the built in benefits of an "intentional community"....
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.