Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-17-2012, 06:21 AM

5,559 posts, read 4,626,761 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we are in one of the only two fully rental buildings in all of bay terrace . everything else is either co-op or condo to escape the raths of rent stabilization eventually.
Yes, we didn't see many rentals when we visited. Nor did we see condos. We may take a second look however. The market is very tight since it seems like everyone wants to move to Bayside or Bay Terrace. Thanks for the info.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-17-2012, 08:56 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by willow wind View Post
Can't imagine anyone retiring in White Plains. Some of my family used to live in that area. Everyone has long since moved away in retirement to less congested, safer, lower cost of living places.

Average rent for a small, one bedroom is $ 2476; median house price is $ 515,000 with typical taxes in the $ 13,054 range. That's before you add in county taxes.

White Plains is small city comprised mostly of office parks. It has some typical urban issues. The typical resident is a NYC worker who lives there as it's cheaper than NYC rents. The White Plains train station is among the busiest in the country. There is a small shopping area in the city center. But other than that, don't see what there is to recommend.

Driving puts you into some of the worst traffic in the country. It's got hot, humid summers, snowy winters.

Can't see anyone wanting to live there as one ages, slows down, sight becomes less and the ability to get around lessens.
You might want to post on the city-data Westchester forum ( as White Plains is in Westchester county) and see if you get more response.
I can't imagine anyone moving wanting to retire to White Plains either. I spent a good portion of my adult life working in and out of White Plains, from way back in the '79 till the 2003. lived there briefly in early 2000's, one of the most congested areas in westchester to try to get around. Excellent business and dinning district though, sporatic nightlife. There are some beautiful areas outside the city limits, but price wise, fagetaboutit. There are many beautiful areas in the county of Westchester, all of which are $$$$, but if you find that bargain, If you don't mind grueling winters, it would be a lovely place to retire if you want easy access to NYC, and lush moutain side areas not too far out of reach. There are so many breath taking locations there, but White Plains, is one heck of a city to navigate by car.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
I can't imagine anyone moving wanting to retire to White Plains either. I spent a good portion of my adult life working in and out of White Plains, from way back in the '79 till the 2003. lived there briefly in early 2000's, one of the most congested areas in westchester to try to get around. Excellent business and dinning district though, sporatic nightlife. There are some beautiful areas outside the city limits, but price wise, fagetaboutit. There are many beautiful areas in the county of Westchester, all of which are $$$$, but if you find that bargain, If you don't mind grueling winters, it would be a lovely place to retire if you want easy access to NYC, and lush moutain side areas not too far out of reach. There are so many breath taking locations there, but White Plains, is one heck of a city to navigate by car.
Thanks for the comments.

Yes, we noticed that WP can be very congested - even for Metro NYC. Once outside of the main district, it became much easier and we were able to scoot around Westchester County and Queens without much effort (remember I am originally from Brooklyn and lived in Chicago with the worse commuting time in the nation for 40 years).

White Plains is our current choice simply because we have to have a physical place to live, and we aren't interested in a single or multi-family house at our age. That leaves condos/townhomes or renting. If you have you haven't been into the real estate market lately, vacancy rates for renting in Metro NYC is the lowest its been in decades. Either people don't want to buy or can't buy.

There are some possibilities in Northern Westchester and beyond but then the winters get even harsher - and we do want to stay relatively close to shopping that we depend upon such as Whole Food's produce. Another possibility is Riverdale, Yonkers which we didn't have a chance to visit last time around or even New Rochelle if there is appropriate housing. Nothing stands out as really exciting (unfortunately) so we are just trying to compromise (actually capitulate) as best we can, seeing as we would like to move back to Metro NYC.

Thanks again for your comments!

Old 07-17-2012, 09:33 AM

8,757 posts, read 9,459,815 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by richrf View Post
Thanks for the comments.

Yes, we noticed that WP can be very congested - even for Metro NYC. Once outside of the main district, it became much easier and we were able to scoot around Westchester County and Queens without much effort (remember I am originally from Brooklyn and lived in Chicago with the worse commuting time in the nation for 40 years).

White Plains is our current choice simply because we have to have a physical place to live, and we aren't interested in a single or multi-family house at our age. That leaves condos/town homes or renting. If you have you haven't been into the real estate market lately, vacancy rates for renting in Metro NYC is the lowest its been in decades. Either people don't want to buy or can't buy.

There are some possibilities in Northern Westchester and beyond but then the winters get even harsher - and we do want to stay relatively close to shopping that we depend upon such as Whole Food's produce. Another possibility is Riverdale, Yonkers which we didn't have a chance to visit last time around or even New Rochelle if there is appropriate housing. Nothing stands out as really exciting (unfortunately) so we are just trying to compromise (actually capitulate) as best we can, seeing as we would like to move back to Metro NYC.

Thanks again for your comments!
Got it. I was actually born in Brooklyn, live in several areas there a bit, did a bit in Manhattan, and the Bronx as well, most of my life was spent growing up in Westchester, starting in Bedford Hills, then Mt Vernon. I've lived in both Yonkers and New Rochelle. New Rochelle was where I last resided prior to my second move to FL in 2006. I could view the New Rock Stadium from my window.(why does that make me thing of Russia) I was in an Ideal location if you want access to NYC and local entertainment. Yes, nuts to move from that location. one bedroom $1100, can't imagine what it is now. but it was an old building. Yonkers is dicey, but I know by the water front, they were building lots of nice buildings/condos and lofts were sprouting up in the downtown area. I believe they were cleaning that area up nicely, not sure of how it turned out. You really might do well, price wise, in those locations. New Rochelle can be quite pricey, but you can find some great deals if you look around. I enjoyed living in the area, but never fond of the cold and with my arthritis just couldn't tolerate the winters plus took a number gosh awful falls on the ice in Yonkers and NR, hurts my head just thinking about them, though can't blame the ice, I think I've taken more falls in FL since. But those icy sidewalks caused irreparable damage.

I wish you well in your search, hope you find a place that fulfills your needs.

Old 07-17-2012, 10:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRosa View Post
Got it. I was actually born in Brooklyn, live in several areas there a bit, did a bit in Manhattan, and the Bronx as well, most of my life was spent growing up in Westchester, starting in Bedford Hills, then Mt Vernon. I've lived in both Yonkers and New Rochelle. New Rochelle was where I last resided prior to my second move to FL in 2006. I could view the New Rock Stadium from my window.(why does that make me thing of Russia) I was in an Ideal location if you want access to NYC and local entertainment. Yes, nuts to move from that location. one bedroom $1100, can't imagine what it is now. but it was an old building. Yonkers is dicey, but I know by the water front, they were building lots of nice buildings/condos and lofts were sprouting up in the downtown area. I believe they were cleaning that area up nicely, not sure of how it turned out. You really might do well, price wise, in those locations. New Rochelle can be quite pricey, but you can find some great deals if you look around. I enjoyed living in the area, but never fond of the cold and with my arthritis just couldn't tolerate the winters plus took a number gosh awful falls on the ice in Yonkers and NR, hurts my head just thinking about them, though can't blame the ice, I think I've taken more falls in FL since. But those icy sidewalks caused irreparable damage.

I wish you well in your search, hope you find a place that fulfills your needs.
Thanks much. New Rochelle seems to be a bit cheaper than White Plains. I have no idea about Yonkers other than I know there are some construction along the river. We will probably check it out along with New Rochelle during our next visit. The rental stock is extremely limited which is the limiting factor in our search. There are lots of nice towns in Westchester, just no housing that we are looking for.

Wishing you the best in your new home in Fl! Thanks again.

Old 07-18-2012, 09:50 AM

342 posts, read 716,885 times
Another place to consider would be Bergen County NJ. I don't think it would be much cheaper than Westchester, but traffic might be slightly better (although not much). Loads of condos and townhouses, both for rent or sale. Also has quick access to NYC, but lots of pretty areas or towns along the Hudson if you are interested in waterfront living.

Spent many years living in Bergen County and moved to western Jersey in retirement. DH and I just got tired of the ever increasing traffic and hustle and bustle. We love it here - it's a lot less congested than Bergen, but still close to stores, restaurants, hospital, etc. and only an hour away from friends in Bergen County who we often visit. But urban it definitely is not.

Old 07-18-2012, 11:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fay111 View Post
Another place to consider would be Bergen County NJ. I don't think it would be much cheaper than Westchester, but traffic might be slightly better (although not much). Loads of condos and townhouses, both for rent or sale. Also has quick access to NYC, but lots of pretty areas or towns along the Hudson if you are interested in waterfront living.

Spent many years living in Bergen County and moved to western Jersey in retirement. DH and I just got tired of the ever increasing traffic and hustle and bustle. We love it here - it's a lot less congested than Bergen, but still close to stores, restaurants, hospital, etc. and only an hour away from friends in Bergen County who we often visit. But urban it definitely is not.
Hi,

Thanks for the recommendation. I briefly looked at Bergen County and as you pointed out there is a lot more housing inventory albeit at about the same price point as Westchester. For a number of reasons, I thought Westchester might work out better for us, but if it doesn't work then Bergen is certainly another option. Thanks again for your help.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement