Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-18-2012, 04:50 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
--for now we're living in the present.
As much as you would like to claim, like our resident curmudgeon always does, nonchalance about the future, your inquiries over several years re:location suggest otherwise. I don’t think I’ve ever read so many posts by one CD user about possible places to retire as yours….seacoast to mountains to desert to 55 + communities, etc…..so you are clearly searching/researching and envisioning….the future. Nothing wrong with that, but it doesn’t come across as “present moment.” I didn’t suggest worrying or fretting, just what would you like to see or what do you imagine for the best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-18-2012, 04:52 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,967,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
The nice thing about the present is that it's always with us, unless it's not in which case plans and dreams will no longer matter.
Yep, I'm all for the present as well. Dreams make us human, even if they don't come true...

Old 07-18-2012, 04:53 PM

400 posts, read 738,386 times
My whole 5-year plan, and planning in general, have just taken a few sharp turns due to new circumstances thrown into my life, so I am living much more in the present now than I used to. One thing I know for sure: I will not be moving to Florida. That was a dream in the back of my mind for a long time. And I'm not so sure I'll move anywhere else. I live in an area with excellent health care, which has become the big priority, more than weather or anything else.

The flowers and hanging baskets where my mom is living now are lush and beautiful...that is my 5-year plan, to admire what is beautiful. To stop and really look. Because we don't know how much time we have. My mom has very little...this has put many things into perspective for me.

I might make full retirement come sooner than I'd originally planned. That's about the only plan.

Old 07-18-2012, 05:14 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,924,187 times
Since this is daydreaming, I will opt for:

- Family harmony
- Plenty of dinero
- Fun, adventure, travel
- House remodeling
- Buying sprees
- Doctorate
- Meaningful and enjoyable "work" that benefits myself and others
- Spiritual advancement & enlightenment
- More developed compassion & faith
- Positive thinking as a default
- Great friends and wonderful relationships
- Amazing animal buddies
- Vibrant health and youthful appearance
- Healthy lifestyle
- Good surprises!
- Surrounded by beauty & inspiration
- Smiles as default expression (and not from mere idiocy)
- Vacations galore
- Cooking partners
- The experience of someone "having my back"
- More insight, wisdom, patience, humor
- Other (good stuff, only please)

Old 07-18-2012, 05:59 PM

44,623 posts, read 61,603,272 times
Not being able to predict the future I can only guess that in 5 years I'll either be in an urn or in assisted living.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:04 PM

7,284 posts, read 12,924,187 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nitram View Post
Not being able to predict the future I can only guess that in 5 years I'll either be in an urn or in assisted living.
That's sad. Can't you come up with better options for yourself? Plus "you" will not be in the urn . . . just your "clothing," if you have any kind of spiritual belief.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:15 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,901,743 times
Default Subject of thread needs clarification.

The thread title reads, "Where do you think you'll be five years from now?" Well that doesn't sound to me like asking for what our "dreams" are but what our expectations are. There is quite a difference.

Old 07-18-2012, 06:18 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
As much as you would like to claim, like our resident curmudgeon always does, nonchalance about the future, your inquiries over several years re:location suggest otherwise. I don’t think I’ve ever read so many posts by one CD user about possible places to retire as yours….seacoast to mountains to desert to 55 + communities, etc…..so you are clearly searching/researching and envisioning….the future. Nothing wrong with that, but it doesn’t come across as “present moment.” I didn’t suggest worrying or fretting, just what would you like to see or what do you imagine for the best.
Sorry if that's how you think I'm coming across, but.... nope. It's just not my way. I'll be at a point where I can start envisioning about a year from now, when I get closer to the planning stage. But if I start doing that too early I'll just end up setting myself up for frustration. Just the way I approach things. The only think I can tell you is that I've always liked coastal areas, so when decision day comes closer the odds are good that we'll head for a coastal city. But that's not what I would consider envisioning.

Think of it like dating while you're in high school. In high school you date for the fun of dating. It would be silly to spend your time envisioning a life with any of the guys you date in high school--it's way too early for that. High school dating is a time for just having fun and it's a time for learning about the opposite sex.

I approach retirement in the same way. This is a learning time, a time to ask about all sorts of places without worrying if I actually envision myself in any of them. Why? Because it's fun. Don't get me wrong, if our retirement date got bumped up we could easily make a decision now and I would happily start the envisioning stage. But our date hasn't been bumped up. We have a long stretch ahead... so right now, this is simply a time to enjoy talking to people about what it's like to live where they do.

My retirement journey is a long one, and I'm savoring each step. Not everyone's approach, but it works for me.

Last edited by Caladium; 07-18-2012 at 07:44 PM..

Old 07-18-2012, 07:17 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,693,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Where are you heading for, Boompa?
I need close proximity to a VA Medical Center and a Military Base. Probably Tucson or Alberquerque.
Want a Large Condo pretty urban. I'm in no hurry, perhaps in a few years I won't take as much of a beating on my house

Old 07-18-2012, 07:31 PM

15,446 posts, read 21,349,093 times
As someone once said, "Man plans while God laughs." I just hope I wake up tomorrow morning and can breath the clean west Texas air. If five years goes by as fast at the last 63, one or two breathes is all I have left.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement