Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-20-2012, 11:18 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,018,330 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post

I have been test driving many cars. I was surprised to find that these smaller cheaper cars, like the Accent, Rio, Yaris, Versa etc have my more space, available, between the steering wheel and my fat belly than this bigger

Of course, if you live in the country you must have a backup. I thought the backup in Wyoming would be your horse. What a wise guy!

Of course, many of the country homestead I saw when I drove more extensively had every car and every tractor that was ever owned by their family lined up in a field. Not all worked but it was amusing to see.

Livecontent
When I picture you in a Yaris ()
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-20-2012, 11:36 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,400,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
When I picture you in a Yaris ()
Perhaps I can run it on flatulence and all I need was to eat my daily legumes. Yea, MPF put.put.put..brrr...fwwww...put..put

Livecontent

Old 07-20-2012, 11:42 PM

7,572 posts, read 9,018,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
Having nothing to do with age, I've been driving Subarus for about 25 years.
But although Foresters seem to be more popular my current Outback was picked instead because the ride is better for the twice a year trek. ...not comfortable enough to the husband to prefer ,who has a Buick, but acceptable to him since they extended the width and length in 2010.
Subraus are very common here in NY but almost a rarity when it's in Florida.That list, showing the Forester as 8th probably is a more northern choice.
I've driven Hondas for the last 30 years (Prelude & now a CRV - also have a mazda Miata and that is a fun car) and love them. They have destroyed the look of the new CRV so I am looking at the Forester for when I move to CO. Subarus are very popular there.

Last edited by Umbria; 07-20-2012 at 11:51 PM..

Old 07-21-2012, 04:52 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,080,646 times
Speaking about cars and retirement, is it still the thing to do to restore a classic car or build a kit car as a retirement project? My husband says he'd like to spend his first few years building something like this:

Old 07-21-2012, 12:20 PM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
34,705 posts, read 58,031,425 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
...My car is a modified 2000 New Beetle, TDI. ... She has 230K on her now and she just broke down in my driveway.
No Sick Diesels allowed !!! let's get you back on the road. Hopefully and VERY simple and CHEAP fix (like a $0.35 glow plug fuse)

TDIClub Forums - Powered by vBulletin
Welcome to VolksWagen Diesel
I stopped in a VW shop in NE LV, and the german owner was somewhat knowledgable to TDI's. Hopefully you have a local source (or find one through the forums). DEAD stop in driveway is better than a clankity CRUNCH while at road speed. These 'interference' engines with VERTICAL valves can really crunch things good if the Timing belt goes. (I have seen broken cams and heads). Tho I have never seen bent rods and some find. I have an extra crunched TDI engine that I need to autopsy some winter day. The early beetle has a real problem with the EGR system, Have you made your $5 'snorkel' yet? (EZ plans on TDI forum). I sued a simpler solution for my 1996-1998 TDIs

Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
Perhaps I can run it on flatulence and all I need was to eat my daily legumes. Yea, MPF put.put.put..brrr...fwwww...put..put

Livecontent
You might be able to get a Yaris to burn Natural Gas...I often rent them for $10 / day in DEN, I'm impressed with them (6 cup holders within reach of driver... Good for Sonic Happy Hour). I will stick with my $35.00 (complete, running, 50 mpg) 'Grease-burner' cars that can use a variety of fuels... jet-A, used engine oil, peanut oil, used cooking oil, bio-diesel, heating oil, kerosene, soybean and canola oil, and even dinosaur diesel (in a pinch).
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement