Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-22-2012, 12:58 PM

25,580 posts, read 56,482,264 times

Advertisements

Since we are now in an election season and the astroturfers are out in force, repeating old, debunked internet lies, I'm starting this thread as a repository reference for all these falsehoods:

Starting with:
Quote:

Retirees hoping for maximum home sales profit, beware

Completely false, except if your annual income is over $250-$500k - that's all of us, right?

And, then, the amount taxed is anything OVER that amount.

Debunked numerous times on that thread, but the astroturfers keep resurrecting same. And, even take glee in perpetuating the myth.
And, then, we have:
Quote:

Anyone know about these 1% taxes on s.s. and check cashing?

Again, debunked. No, SS recipients will not be charged 1% on their benefits.
Quote:
And, of course, then there's the lie about the ACA which will have such a dire affect on seniors, the most egregious of which is people on Medicare will be subject to a penalty/fine.

Truth: Medicare Part A qualifies as insurance under ACA. You don't even need Part B.
I'll further update this thread, as the election season heats up.

Last edited by Ariadne22; 07-22-2012 at 02:00 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-22-2012, 01:09 PM

106,673 posts, read 108,833,673 times
lets not forget my favorite:

investment allocations should be by age.

Old 07-22-2012, 01:53 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
I will repeat what I just said in another thread.

Stuff goes around. Statements and "info? that are possibly true, possibly false, are all over the Net, all over the print media, and on the streets and in online forums.

One of the reasons to post inherited information is to get to the bottom of the truth. That is how we can help each other.

It's good to point out the debunked (myths, not debunked threads) but if we can do it without a hint that some of us are posting information (and questioning it) are dummies because the information is incorrect, that would be nice.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:18 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
It's good to point out the debunked (myths, not debunked threads) but if we can do it without a hint that some of us are posting information (and questioning it) are dummies because the information is incorrect, that would be nice.
Agreed about being nice to each other... although I certainly hope anyone who is passing along misinformation as a method to question it is being crystal clear that they are questioning it. Otherwise they're just passing along misinformation.

Also on the subject of being nice, sometimes people do post things without knowing they're passing along a myth, and I'm glad we're the people to set them straight rather than them having to find out the hard way out in the real world. Might as well be nice to those people, too--they mean well.

I have to admit threads like this make me nervous. I can see the idea behind it; clearing up misinformation is a good thing. Yet.... boy oh boy it seems like something that could deteriorate into a big political fight. I sure hope we can avoid that, because that would attract a lot of nasty game-playing people to our site. Once you do that, it's very hard to get back to being the helpful friendly forum that we all love so much. I really, really, really wish we would leave all the election and political talk in the POC forum, at least until after the first week in November.

Last edited by Caladium; 07-22-2012 at 02:28 PM..

Old 07-22-2012, 02:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Agreed about being nice to each other... although I certainly hope anyone who is passing along misinformation as a method to question it is being crystal clear that they are questioning it. Otherwise they're just passing along misinformation.

Also on the subject of being nice, sometimes people do post things without knowing they're passing along a myth, and I'm glad we're the people to set them straight rather than them having to find out the hard way out in the real world. Might as well be nice to those people, too--they mean well.

I have to admit threads like this make me nervous. I can see the idea behind it, but boy oh boy it seems like something that could deteriorate into a big political fight. I sure hope we can avoid that, because that would attract a lot of nasty game-playing people to our site. Once you do that, it's very hard to get back to being the helpful friendly forum that we all love so much.
Your second paragraph is a good follow-up to your first. I seriously doubt anyone is intentionally posting bad or incorrect information. It's not like some bandit is breaking into the forum and throwing lies as a pasttime.

As for the second part of your second paragraph, I also say beware. "We" are not the ones necessarily expertise enough on any legal or political subject to set ourselves straight, let alone "everyone else."

If the lawyers and scientists and other real experts on this forum want to and can post links to legitimate researched articles published in trusted sources, that's what I would look for—not the opinion of anyone who has merely read or dabbled in something. The problem is, what are those legitimate sources? Every source has its political agenda and slant, which come out big time nearing elections.

I don't think any of the posts I have read with misinformation have been intentionally put out there to mislead anyone. Instead of rebuke, perhaps reminders of how to go about evaluating information that could well be false, could well be true, or could well fall somewhere in between.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:33 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
It's not like some bandit is breaking into the forum and throwing lies as a pasttime.
Sadly, I've seen plenty of people do that on forums. Especially forums for seniors, who are often seen as gullible patsies. And especially when political subjects come up. Many people do it to push their political agenda, others just think it's a hilarious thing to do.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:40 PM

EXACTLY, per this:
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I was tempted to let him know that it's not true but since he said it would keep him for voting for Obama, I figured it was all good
That's the trouble, people don't often bother to read anything on a thread. It's these types that are susceptible to the repetition of falsehood.

On a really long thread I'll read at least the last ten pages before I post. By the time I've finished reading, I usually discover my post is redundant and there is no need to bore others with repetitive nonsense.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Sadly, I've seen plenty of people do that on forums. Especially forums for seniors, who are often seen as gullible patsies. And especially when political subjects come up. Many people do it to push their political agenda, others just think it's a hilarious thing to do.
I'd like to see some specific examples, perhaps you can DM me?

Old 07-22-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
I'd like to see some specific examples,
Here's one who's happy to keep the lie going:
Quote:
Originally Posted by old_cold View Post
I was tempted to let him know that it's not true but since he said it would keep him for voting for Obama, I figured it was all good
P&C is rife with astroturfers who are paid to perpetuate the lies all day long. 8 hours a day, or more.

The fact that people don't know these things occur everywhere everyday is really frightening.

Old 07-22-2012, 02:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ariadne22 View Post
Here's one who's happy to keep the lie going:

P&C is rife with astroturfers who are paid to perpetuate the lies all day long. 8 hours a day, or more.

The fact that people don't know these things occur everywhere everyday is really frightening.
I know what you are saying, but it doesn't happen on both sides of the aisle (forum)????

Lies, exaggerations, distortions....both sides. After all, gotta win.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement