U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-02-2012, 12:09 AM

12,920 posts, read 20,985,791 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
This is OUR music. Let youth hate us. Let them listen to their noise that more often than not sounds like a canary eating rancid bird seed.

YouTube - When You And I Were Young Maggie - John McCoramck

Here's another great one from a great lady.

Dame Nellie Melba - Believe Me, If All Those Endearing Young Charms (1909) - YouTube

Another rendition from Virginia Bruce. I've been trying to find this movie. It's worth it for Adolph Menjou, that dandy of all dandies. The sound is excellent on this one.

Virginia Bruce as Jenny Lind Believe Me If All Those Endearing Young Charms - YouTube

Don't think the good old days existed? They sure did. Would that 1933 never happened!

Just heard that 1st song at the Victrola museum in Dover Delaware a month ago. It was great.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-02-2012, 06:25 AM

54,896 posts, read 57,257,764 times
maybe run one of those ads on tv

send me one dollar and i will be your friend! you can mail a picture and a note every month.

heck i know people so pathetic that if they did that people in africa would send them money ha ha ha

Old 12-02-2012, 10:03 AM

13,862 posts, read 15,369,064 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
Do people want friends or just acquaintances? Playing croquet or bridge with people doesn't make them friends........You can't seek friends anymore than you can seek your love. It happens or it doesn't.
Agreed that there is a difference between acquaintances and friends. But having acquaintances is very important versus not having them. If we have people with whom we can play croquet or bridge (or substitute whatever activities grab you), then we are having interactions with other humans on a level deeper than saying "thank you/you're welcome" to the cashier at the register. It is important to avoid social isolation, at least for most of us. I have a group of acquaintances going back to graduate school, among whom is one true friend, plus two other retiree groups which have lunch every other month (no true friends as defined by you in the part of your post which I didn't quote). If I survive them all - the larger retiree group is mostly older and the graduate school group is very small - I could end up a bit isolated in extreme old age.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:37 PM

18,856 posts, read 28,297,184 times
My Mom joined this "Red Hat" group....they wear red hats and go out to lunch. She also joined this "Dancing Grandma's" group, they dress up and do dance routines at senior homes.

She goes to church, and does volunteer work. In addition to her part time job...she has more friends than I do...in addition to her book club group.

Old 12-02-2012, 04:41 PM

14,635 posts, read 15,785,387 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
New fellow moved into our neighborhood. I stopped to say hello. All I got was an earful of his medical conditions, needs, problems. His complaints and negativism dragged me down. I dropped him of my list of people I am wanting to get to know better.

I think there is a lesson here for all.
Beware of making friends with people who are famous for their "Organ Recitals" . Robyn

Old 12-03-2012, 03:36 AM

15,912 posts, read 16,210,928 times
As our new aquaintances move into the friend catagory (we all get to know each other better) and we discover their irritating or amusing facets, we talk about it, decide whether or not we want to deal with it and wrap it up with wondering what they might be saying about us!
Which, of course, can't be anything bad, since we're perfect!

Old 12-03-2012, 03:40 AM

54,896 posts, read 57,257,764 times
we live in a high rise and all our friends have moved at this point . we are home so little that we really dont have friends here anymore.

i think we should make new friends by cooking smells. we could just walk through the halls dinner time and single out those apartments that have the best cooking smells and target them for friendship.

need i remind everyone my wifes screen name is badcook5.

Old 12-03-2012, 08:41 AM

4,281 posts, read 9,590,058 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
we live in a high rise and all our friends have moved at this point . we are home so little that we really dont have friends here anymore.

i think we should make new friends by cooking smells. we could just walk through the halls dinner time and single out those apartments that have the best cooking smells and target them for friendship.

need i remind everyone my wifes screen name is badcook5.
Math....I love it....very funny.

My wife's idea of a kitchen is a wet bar with takeout menues on the wall. She says if your hungry, call someone who cares.............LOL

Old 12-04-2012, 01:44 AM

800 posts, read 309,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapboxsallysmom View Post
And if none of the above applies, join the nudist colony!
That could work, but even that could have its ups and downs.
A guy at work was a member of "The Sunny Side-Up" colony. He said he went to a Halloween contest once and it was a big let down, 'cause even with masks on, everyone new who everyone else was.

Last edited by noregon98; 12-04-2012 at 02:03 AM..

Old 12-04-2012, 10:34 AM

2,493 posts, read 1,909,876 times
I think the OP and others tend to forget about "friends of friends". When I moved to a new town the first person I met was a very social neighbor. He wasn't my type and I did not see us beening good friends. But two years later, I realize two of my best friends in my new town, I met thru this first guy.

Try reducing your strict "requirements" and you will meet more people and the more people you meet, the more people you meet that might turn out to be good friends.

You have a boat and like to go out on the lake and have a few cold ones. Sounds great.
You don't have to limit your friends to boaters. A lot of people (like me) don't own a boat but love to go out on a boat and have a cold one now and then. First time I was in Hawaii, my wife and I were walking on a dock looking at the sailboats. Stopped to talk to someone loading their boat for a day sail and ended up going out with them for a couple hours. Good time was had by all. Sometimes you just need to offer.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement