U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-05-2012, 10:15 PM

13,320 posts, read 25,569,771 times

Advertisements

I'd be a happy guest if someone cooks for me! My definition of good food is that which is prepared by someone who isn't me. I even do dishes. I bring flowers for the table or a bottle of something. I'm a great guest and would be happy to make conversation with a cook!
I agree about HGTV. I wonder about all that entertaining, too!

Am having breakfast with a former co-worker in the morning. She's 78 and finally fully retired recently. We've had a lot of conversations about life as an older person and friends and such
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-06-2012, 07:43 AM

16,042 posts, read 18,982,141 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jlawrence01 View Post
I live in an affluent part of Chicagoland although my abode reflects my very simple tastes. I have been in at least one dozen homes with $100k+ kitchens. It has been my experience that the more costly the kitchen, the less likely that I will be served a good, homemade meal. Instead, you will get served a meal that comes straight from Costco.
)
I can't help with this comment to be reminded of the 10 best meals I ever had, all made in a galley kitchen in a farmhouse in Tuscany, the kitchen so tiny that two people had to literally press their bodies together to get past. The stove took up the entire space with a tiny formica counter. What happy memories of huge delicious homemade meals (all except the cooked boar!) around a huge cracked wooden table in the dining room.

Old 12-06-2012, 07:57 AM

4,346 posts, read 6,058,509 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
ipoetry, I have trouble understanding the bond of 'smoking friends'. Why does the act of smoking provide sufficient interest in another person or in another couple?
Me too! I said nowhere near what you think I said. If you have friends who smoke then dine outside. Everyone can be accommodated in any environment.

Old 12-06-2012, 02:37 PM

3,912 posts, read 2,728,856 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
If you have friends who smoke then dine outside. Everyone can be accommodated in any environment.

I'm trying to imagine holding or attending a dinner party outside in winter in my climate in -30 degrees C. temperatures.

Last edited by cdnirene; 12-06-2012 at 02:55 PM..

Old 12-06-2012, 03:19 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,932,507 times
Quote:
I don't mind preparing menus for health/religious reasons for people - even in addition to a regular menu. However, I will NOT cater to weird requests. Most diabetics can eat MOST foods - when I was in the business, I prepared hundreds of diabetic meals DAILY. You modify certain dishes, offer a lot of fresh fruits and vegetables and the like. However, you do that and many of the diabetics who ask for such are eating the regular food.

You are making me hungry with the potato pancakes ....
Well - you combine kosher with diabetic - and you're basically limited to vegetarian with no sugar. Unless you're willing to go far - perhaps very far - out of your way to get kosher meat/fowl. On my part - I dislike kosher meat/fowl - I find it much much too salty. And I hate the taste of sugar substitutes. Luckily - there are many fun yummy vegetarian pasta dishes that - along with a good salad - will work for a whole meal.

Two hints about potato pancakes my husband and I have learned over the years. After you grate the potatoes (I shred mine in a food processor) - immediately plunge them in a bowl full of ice water (that will keep them from turning brown/gray). When you're ready to start assembling the pancakes - dry the potatoes thoroughly by squeezing them in towels. I have a huge package of cheap towels (like 40 towels) I bought at Costco for about $15. I use them for various things - including this. The towels will have to go in the washer/dryer after - but they'll be fine. Reckon you could use paper towels - about 10 rolls of them . Robyn

Old 12-06-2012, 03:28 PM

Quote:
How many of those HGTV shows have their hosts ripping out a perfectly good kitchen countertops and cabinets? After all, every house has to have granite countertops and stainless steel appliances and the like.

I live in an affluent part of Chicagoland although my abode reflects my very simple tastes. I have been in at least one dozen homes with $100k+ kitchens. It has been my experience that the more costly the kitchen, the less likely that I will be served a good, homemade meal. Instead, you will get served a meal that comes straight from Costco.

(I have to admit that just once, I would like to have a great kitchen to work out in ... For now, I do my best work in church kitchens.)
Well - a lot of $100k kitchens are huge - but cheap and inefficient. I spent about $25k just on (German) kitchen cabinets for my 12x14 kitchen when we built we our house. Mostly because the storage is incredibly dense - efficient and easy to use (don't have to bend over to dig things out of bottom cabinets). This was the 3rd kitchen I designed - and I only got one thing wrong. I should have had an extra prep sink (my husband and I tend to cook together a fair amount these days). No way to add it now though. Robyn

Old 12-06-2012, 03:57 PM

28,502 posts, read 62,182,463 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
When you're ready to start assembling the pancakes - dry the potatoes thoroughly...
Salad Spinner.

Old 12-12-2012, 03:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrRational View Post
Salad Spinner.
I don't think a salad spinner will extract enough water from the potatoes. Won't work fast enough either (if you don't get those potatoes dry and mixed with the other stuff and in the pan fast - they'll turn a very ugly color). Robyn

Old 06-09-2013, 01:58 PM

1,829 posts, read 2,736,216 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
By "boating", we mean........tubing and fishing. Right now we have a 16' Invader Ski/Fishing boat.
As far as getting the neighborhood together for wine and a DVD movie......I DON'T THINK SO!!!!!!! 99% of our neighbors (moms/dads) are young enough to be "our" kids. Besides that, we really aren't into wine. Now, give us a Coors Light and a shot of Tequila........let's start the party!!!!!!
Fortunately (or unfortunately......depends on how you look at it), I have a very outgoing, funny, sometimes sarcastic type personality. The "quiet people" of society don't know how to handle that. But, my wife sure loves my personality. Laugh, laugh, laugh, we do a lot of that.
Now only that, at 57 years old, I'm still listening to Aerosmith, ACDC, Styx, BTO, Foghat, etc.. And, as we are flying across Chatfield lake in our boat, I have the old CD player blarin' with that music. Chatfield is south of Denver.
Yes, I'm a "live one" and my wife loves it.
I just have to comment! My kids who are in their 20's and my coworkers in the 40+ age group enjoy all of the bands you listen to! They also like Tequila, beer, tubing, boating. My husband and I are early 50's and enjoy wine. Sometimes you can have friends of all different ages.

Old 06-09-2013, 02:27 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,955,483 times
Normally the older retired people will congregate at some place for breakfast or coffee in morning and in afternoon. Another is thru a hobby and the palace where those people tend to hangout. Really good place to meet new retire people and start a friendship. How about having a cookout and getting to know your neighbors better and possibly makes friends. Invite some of the people you meet at all these to dinner or to go out to say dinner.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or