U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2013, 07:36 PM

16,045 posts, read 16,942,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by texdav View Post
Normally the older retired people will congregate at some place for breakfast or coffee in morning and in afternoon. Another is thru a hobby and the palace where those people tend to hangout. Really good place to meet new retire people and start a friendship. How about having a cookout and getting to know your neighbors better and possibly makes friends. Invite some of the people you meet at all these to dinner or to go out to say dinner.
Great points. A good untapped source for friends is often the neighbors, even if there is an age or background difference. The young guys next door invited us to one of their cookout parties and we went, it was fun (of course they invited us so we wouldn't complain about the noise ) as they are all our kids' ages. It was great to be around younger adults again instead of just old fogies who are into their set ways and opinions about people. They were curious about our gardens and backgrounds and we were about their jobs and their interests. The music was loud but we had plenty of that when the kids were home.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-19-2013, 11:14 PM

4 posts, read 3,421 times
Default Hello

I haven't read all of the posts but I just wanted to tell you...if you come to Sussex County, Delaware, you will fit right in. I'm more of the conservative type, and I don't fit in at all, I don't drink and prefer peace and quiet to noise or partying, and that is all that seem to hang out here at the Delaware beaches.

By the way...the reason you shouldn't avoid making single friends is this...you can introduce them to eachother!!! I've been single for 10 lonesome years and I can't even find a decent guy to date. I'm not alone in this, we singles NEED people like you to introduce us, especially those of us that are introverted and avoid crowds & parties.

Old 07-20-2013, 07:35 AM

16,045 posts, read 16,942,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MidAtlanticGal View Post
By the way...the reason you shouldn't avoid making single friends is this...you can introduce them to eachother!!! I've been single for 10 lonesome years and I can't even find a decent guy to date. I'm not alone in this, we singles NEED people like you to introduce us, especially those of us that are introverted and avoid crowds & parties.
Many introductions HAPPEN at crowds or parties. I'm not talking about ear-piercingly loud club dances, but community barbecues, fundraisers, etc. It's the casual introductions you're not getting by avoiding social gatherings. IMO, there's nothing worse than a "serious" introduction with an intention behind it. If I were one of the two being so introduced, I would be so self-conscious and mortified I'd run the other way.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement