U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-25-2006, 06:23 PM

741 posts, read 3,265,333 times

Advertisements

OOPS, That F word somehow manages to slip from my lips every now and then. I can't see why you couldn't make friends just being yourself out with your wife. I can stay in front of my house watching my kids and people walking by just alway's stop to talk. This leads to an invite somewhere. Some have kids, Some are empty nester's. Some really nice, honest, hardworking people smoke. Don't rule them all out. Alot of my friends don't smoke, I respect that. I wish I didn't smoke. I never ever smoke in front of them. Not even in my own house. I'll excuse myself and go outside away from them to do so.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-25-2006, 08:30 PM

96 posts, read 423,490 times
And if none of the above applies, join the nudist colony!

Old 09-25-2006, 08:48 PM

2,814 posts, read 12,080,327 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by soapboxsallysmom View Post
And if none of the above applies, join the nudist colony!
I guarantee you....seeing a 43 year old man who's furry, has the complexion of Caspar the Friendly Ghost, bright red hair (brightness is geographically dependent... ), and is blind in bright light is not the recipe for making friends! I probably could clear the beach though

Old 09-26-2006, 01:22 PM

7,342 posts, read 16,664,195 times
Sorry, definitely no smokers........wife has asthma and we just don't want to have friends that smoke (bottom line, but nothing against smokers).
We just believe that nowadays it is just extremely hard to make friends....period. We also believe that most adults that have friends meet those friends at their kids school functions/sporting events. We don't have kids.
If anyone else has more suggestions, tell us and we will "think" about them. Just no opera's, dinner party's........nothing like that. Like I said before, Coors Beer and a shot of Tequila......PARTY TIME!! Gee, do you think we can find any adults in the 50's/60's age group that could handle that???????

Old 09-26-2006, 04:46 PM
MHT

434 posts, read 2,070,796 times
Default meeting people

We've moved around a lot so have always had to meet new people. I volunteer a lot. Whenever we've moved to somewhere new I have checked with the local library, school, hospital, etc. and jumped right in. I have met some great people that way. I also check with the local Parks & Rec Dept. to see about classes they have or would like teachers for. If there is a community college close by that's another option.

At the age of 65 my Mom left the town where she grew up and moved to CO where my sister lives. She started taking classes, etc. and now she's never home! I'm so proud of her. It must have been very tough for her to do as she hadn't done much on her own until my Dad died but her attitude was good and she was sure she'd make friends.

Old 09-30-2006, 03:11 AM

7,342 posts, read 16,664,195 times
Adream

My wife really loved the reply you wrote.
Yes, we do like having fun, but do keep it during the weekends. Right now, since we live in Colorado, our "funnest" time of the year is summer. We hook up our 16' fishing/ski boat to our Durango and head to a local lake almost every weekend.
I have an enormous sense of humor and some folks our age, who see us on our boat in the summer, must think that we are going through a "second childhood".

Old 09-30-2006, 09:06 AM

167 posts, read 903,058 times
LoveBoating: Did you ever get my PM??? This community is right up you and your wife's alley!! There are alot of young retirees here and they do love their Beers and Marquerita's....Also, there are alot of folks from the NE i.e. NY, NJ, BOS, Midwest and eccentric group and everyone treats each other equal...There are tons of Golf Carts cruising the streets since there is 3 golf courses (the 3rd is being constructed) and Sailboats/Kayaks on the lakes....and, which we love, the quietness, very peaceful and right now the weather is turning fall-like and this is when no one wants to leave Paradise...including us....

Old 09-30-2006, 07:18 PM

359 posts, read 1,483,288 times
I suggest joining your local Senior Citizens Center.

Also, be sure to attend all the Model A shows, etc. They are so much fun, and most attenders are so at least 50+ and have such friendly attitudes.

Square dances are good places, too.

Old 04-14-2007, 12:54 PM

182 posts, read 860,545 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by GOODTOGO View Post
LoveBoating: Did you ever get my PM??? This community is right up you and your wife's alley!! There are alot of young retirees here and they do love their Beers and Marquerita's....Also, there are alot of folks from the NE i.e. NY, NJ, BOS, Midwest and eccentric group and everyone treats each other equal...There are tons of Golf Carts cruising the streets since there is 3 golf courses (the 3rd is being constructed) and Sailboats/Kayaks on the lakes....and, which we love, the quietness, very peaceful and right now the weather is turning fall-like and this is when no one wants to leave Paradise...including us....
Wow! Where is this Paradise? It sounds so great it has piqued my interest!

Old 04-14-2007, 12:57 PM

7,139 posts, read 13,192,721 times
Alot of seniors are on the road and traveling anymore. The RV subculture a large and growing community, and intend to join them soon! You might look into a small RV or trailer and take to the roads to see our beautiful country!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or