U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-14-2007, 01:25 PM

942 posts, read 1,068,964 times

Advertisements

I have wondered about this RV lifestyle, it seems very nice, but how does one support this type of lifestyle with the price of gas the way it is in this country. I honestly think we are in for some hard times on this issue, and will see $4.00 and higher on a permanent basis, or they will also include the 1970's gas shortages again, and this time it will not be nearly as civil as the last ones. I think americans forgot to fast what that was like,and how it would be now in a much more violent society. I guess if you can manage it, go for it, I don't blame you, do it before things really get out of hand. I have talked to people that go to Yuma and the calif desert in the winter months, one just came back and said the cost of the gas if it gets worse, they might not want to do it next year in a RV on retirement income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-17-2009, 08:52 PM

2 posts, read 9,890 times
they say life starts at 50 lm sure about that l raise my kids and now is time for me to get a life you only live once l live my life like if it was the last day, that is why there are so many pepole in depression they feel lonely and think life is finish what they dont know is that when you turn 50 is where life begins for you to do things for yourself and you will see that love can do all things even in bad times love youuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu

Old 03-29-2011, 07:33 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,783,225 times
Default Making Friends in "Later Life"

My wife and I know something about this because its weighed a bit heavily on us.

I am retiring in 50 work days after a career of 40 years, and 33 in the same place. As soon as we sell our house(and its a pretty good deal so we aren't really worried) we will be moving 650 miles north to a place where we now know some people but will have to make a whole new group of friends.

There are several areas that you might look as we did:

1. Does your area have a Senior College? Google it. There are units of this all over the country; all of these people are retired, and most are interested in making new friends. And...its an exciting opportunity to learn new skills and new stuff, rather than the depressed doing of useless crafts and playing bingo like you might find at many Senior Centers.

2. Join an active church group that is similar to your view points.

3. Look for places to volunteer that have your interests. We will be volunteering with a forestry group, and I will probably be volunteering at a place that renovates really old cars.

4. Join one of the local service organizations like the Rotary. This will connect you to people who you can become friends with because you will be helping and they want people to help.

5. As people have said before, look for groups that have your interests. If you can't find one, then put an ad in the newspaper and on Craigslist and other places, and talk to the newspaper about a story for your publicity and start a group. When I was much younger, there was no bicycle club locally. So I went to a local bicycle store and found they were very willing to start support a club, and I along with the store started the Brandywine Bicycle Club. I'm sure that a local gun store would love to help you start a shooting club. After all, if you are retired, then you have the time.

6. Look for places where you can consult or volunteer in your old profession. When my father-in-law retired from Banking in 1985, he joined a banking consulting association. My wife and I will be retired educators, and we can volunteer int he schools if we want to. We have all the credentials and all the clearances.

Old 03-29-2011, 08:28 AM

7,341 posts, read 16,664,195 times
Since someone put a reply on this old Thread, I thought I do an update:

We are now living in northeast Florida/just south of Jacksonville. Meeting married couples in our age bracket, with similar interests who don't smoke hasn't happened here yet either. We have a 20' cuddy cabin boat, kept on a trailer in a RV/Boat Storage, but just don't see any couples in our age bracket launching boats from a trailer. Seems as if most couples in our age bracket either gave up boating (kids left home) or they put a boat in Dry Storage or a slip in the water (of which we don't get around those folks). Even at the Shooting Range we go to, very few couples in our age bracket there as well. We talk to some single people in our complex that are close to our age, but we just don't want any singles as close friends. We went to a local church here as well, both to Worship and to possibly meet new friends, but most of the couples there were 20 to 30 yrs younger than us! We even looked into going back to Squaredancing again, but found out that 99% of the people who squaredance here are 10 plus yrs older than we are and just don't squaredance the fun/fast way we did years ago.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:19 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,783,225 times
Default Senior College

I looked on Google. Amazingly, with all the retired people in Florida there doesn't seem to be a Senior College Network, like there is in Maine.

Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but google didn't show anything.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:35 AM

9,596 posts, read 10,952,678 times
The Tea Party has people of all ages, plenty of old folks. They're active intelligent, have traditional values and mores, and certainly like guns. Additionally, they're normally financially well off so they don't whine and complain about their lot. They're articulate and aware.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:44 AM

2,277 posts, read 3,084,718 times
I don't wish to offend you but I read through this thread and what I see is you not wanting friends..

* that smoke
* that swear (the dreaded F word)
* that are single
* that are younger
* that are older
* that are too "society", quiet, like dinner parties, wine or opera
* that keep boats in slips or out on the hard (why this I wouldn't know)

and probably more on that list that we just don't know about.

While I do believe and studies show that making friends is more difficult with age, it seems that you might be looking for carbon copies of yourself in another couple of your age set, which is making a pretty high demand of the universe. You've been to two places in the last 5 years since the first post and have had the same result. You might want to shorten up that "bottom line" list for friendships. IMO you seem too specifically nit-picky about who you will allow to be your friends and your "criteria" is getting in your way. If you can let a few things go, you might find that you are forming friendships. Just an observation...

Best of luck to you.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:50 AM

3,359 posts, read 10,921,134 times
LovesBoating, I'm not really finding that here in central florida. Because there are so many corporate places to work where you are you'll have younger families there.

You might want to take a look see over here (just south) by the Villages area. We have several large lakes suitable for a cuddy cabin that are interlocked and I bet the docking fees are less. I can't sit down here without someone in my demographic group and interests, same as yours, getting into a long conversation with me.

Message me if you want more info.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:53 AM

28,287 posts, read 39,953,793 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The Tea Party has people of all ages, plenty of old folks. They're active intelligent, have traditional values and mores, and certainly like guns. Additionally, they're normally financially well off so they don't whine and complain about their lot. They're articulate and aware.
LMAO!!! Thanks.

Old 03-29-2011, 11:02 AM

28,287 posts, read 39,953,793 times
We are going to launch our "look for a place to retire" quest next year. We've been researching and doing some visiting on vacations, but next year Mrs. Tek is retiring and we will go at it in earnest.

We both find ourselves leaning towards a 55 over community for a number of reasons:

We won't have kids (since they aren't allowed to live there) next door throwing whatever comes to hand over the fence.

The same kids won't be using our fence as a backstop for everything they throw.

No basketballs pounding non-stop all day in the driveways around us.

People our age that get together in clubs, and there seem to be a lot of clubs for practically anything you are interested in. If there isn't one you can start one.

We are planning on doing a fair amount of travel and some of the communities have services available for lawn maintenance, etc.

We looked in Henderson, NV (Thanks KiwiKate!) and came to the realization that I could not only sell my snow blower on the way out of town, I could sell the lawn mower, too!!

So that type of community is certainly on our look at list. Along with a number of others scattered everywhere from Nevada to Florida (Jax or that area probably).

The gist of it is, if you're looking for people your age perhaps you should check out an age restricted community.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or