U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-29-2011, 11:22 AM

1,922 posts, read 3,778,428 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK-Cathy View Post
I don't wish to offend you but I read through this thread and what I see is you not wanting friends..

* that smoke
* that swear (the dreaded F word)
* that are single
* that are younger
* that are older
* that are too "society", quiet, like dinner parties, wine or opera
* that keep boats in slips or out on the hard (why this I wouldn't know)

and probably more on that list that we just don't know about.
This is definitely a problem for all of us as we approach older age since we are well beyond middle age. We think that we want people like us, but the like us category is really narrow. We have to be willing to give up all the specialties and just concentrate on the friendship. The older you get, the less likely you will find someone who is "like us". We have too many experiences.

When MY Dad was 68 he went to his 50th high school reunion. He was ahead of my mother and when he went into the room, he came out right away and said to my mom that it wasn't the place. She told him that it surely was because of the sign out front. He said, "It just can't be, there are only just a bunch of old people in there." My father was often a nut case and was serious. He had "really and actually" forgotten that he was an old person too. He lived to 85 before he died of a stroke.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-29-2011, 11:42 AM

48,516 posts, read 83,901,398 times
Why not get out to place where people gather like coffe shops i the day or breakfast place i the morning.But if you are going to delve into tehir personal habits likely even those that don't have them will stay away.

Old 03-29-2011, 12:18 PM

433 posts, read 991,641 times
Re the Senior College Network... try googling "Osher Lifelong Learning" followed by the state name: "Osher Lifelong Learning Florida" finds several results.

Old 04-12-2011, 04:00 AM

71,511 posts, read 71,674,131 times
send me 1 dollar and i will be your friend. lol

i just give everyone candy.......

Old 04-12-2011, 05:07 AM

4,343 posts, read 6,054,558 times
Relax and be yourselves. Our most favorable characters from literature were just that... characters. Let people see your flaws, accept people in spite of their flaws and make allowances for their short comings. My mother used to say, "Why would you want someone just like yourself? It would be boring." There's so much to learn from people who are different than ourselves.

Old 04-12-2011, 07:54 AM

7,339 posts, read 16,637,122 times
We have family and acquaintances that are different than us and that is ok, but obviously we'd like to meet married couples that have similar interests to us. As far as smoking (cig/cigar).......absolutely NOT!! And, wife and I love doing things TOGETHER, so couples (even older ones) that like to do things separately......NOPE! Just our preferences and we stick to them!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
Relax and be yourselves. Our most favorable characters from literature were just that... characters. Let people see your flaws, accept people in spite of their flaws and make allowances for their short comings. My mother used to say, "Why would you want someone just like yourself? It would be boring." There's so much to learn from people who are different than ourselves.

Old 04-12-2011, 11:07 AM

4,343 posts, read 6,054,558 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
We have family and acquaintances that are different than us and that is ok, but obviously we'd like to meet married couples that have similar interests to us. As far as smoking (cig/cigar).......absolutely NOT!! And, wife and I love doing things TOGETHER, so couples (even older ones) that like to do things separately......NOPE! Just our preferences and we stick to them!
We have smoking friends. We sit outside. Personally, you sound like what I refer to as a 'velcro' couple. It's hard enough for two people to connect and form a friendship but you're asking for four people to come together and connect in a friendship. Good luck and get a library card because you're going to be lonely for awhile.

Old 04-12-2011, 12:02 PM

34,365 posts, read 41,446,089 times
Both my Mom and Dad are retired and spend a couple of hours a day at their local YMCA, plenty of social activity going on,many programs to join, coffee is usually free, they've made many friends thy're over the years.

You could also give Meetup.com a try. I dialed Jacksonville under boating and fishing but you can put in many more topics of interest,or make your own club..
http://www.meetup.com/find/?keywords...tButton=Search

Old 04-12-2011, 01:12 PM

48,516 posts, read 83,901,398 times
Op sounds like the type that needs to get a clone job because most don't want that type of friends.

Old 04-12-2011, 02:27 PM

14,628 posts, read 17,923,045 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Zarathu View Post
I looked on Google. Amazingly, with all the retired people in Florida there doesn't seem to be a Senior College Network, like there is in Maine.

Maybe I'm not looking in the right place, but google didn't show anything.
I don't know what the Senior College Network is - but we have OLLI (Osher Lifelong Learning Institute) here in JAX at the University of North Florida:

UNF - Continuing Education - OLLI Homepage

It's a national outfit - and has institutes at many other places around the US:

The Bernard Osher Foundation | List of Institutes

My father takes classes there. It's not my husband's and my cup of tea - not rigorous enough. My husband has taken quite a few courses at UNF for credit - and seniors can take classes at state schools for no credit for free (if the class has available space). Robyn
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or