U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-24-2006, 01:01 PM

5,682 posts, read 10,508,616 times

Advertisements

If you can, please give us some suggestions on how to make friends at an older age (later 50's with no kids). We also have no family in the State (CO) we live in.
We don't want to make friends with smokers or people who swear to much (the "f" word....no way). Our interests are boating, fishing, playing poker, target shooting.
We tried our local church and that hasn't worked either. Most of the people there our age are retired and do a lot of traveling.
So, what do you think.
P.S. My wife is sometimes the quiet, conservative type person, where as, I'm mouthy and funny.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-24-2006, 04:58 PM

17,377 posts, read 24,638,364 times
Try googling, the name of the interest "boating" and a location "denver" and see if you get any hits on sportsmen clubs or groups, etc. Call boat dealers, or a state park that serves boaters. See if Yahoo Groups has anything on interest/location, etc.

Some hobbies/pastimes are well organized, like model railroading. They have a national group, and the national website links you to the local chapter, and from that you get into the local model rr clubs.

Some of my favorite places are public library systems. Google up the ones for Denver and your county and see if you can find a list of community groups. It's worth a shot.

s/Mike

Old 09-24-2006, 05:09 PM

421 posts, read 60,981 times
Default Friends

I know just what you mean...we too have been here 5 yrs and can't find any one compatable..we're looking for ppl that don't drink.

Old 09-24-2006, 05:36 PM

3,823 posts, read 10,063,301 times
Default Boating in Colorado

By boating, I hope you meant sailing. If so, check this web site (there are 4 links under Colorado sailing sites.

http://www.aspenyachtclub.com/otherlinks.htm (broken link)

Old 09-24-2006, 06:47 PM

2,813 posts, read 9,435,264 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LoveBoating View Post
If you can, please give us some suggestions on how to make friends at an older age (later 50's with no kids). We also have no family in the State (CO) we live in.
We don't want to make friends with smokers or people who swear to much (the "f" word....no way). Our interests are boating, fishing, playing poker, target shooting.
We tried our local church and that hasn't worked either. Most of the people there our age are retired and do a lot of traveling.
So, what do you think.
P.S. My wife is sometimes the quiet, conservative type person, where as, I'm mouthy and funny.
Why not invite people in the neighborhood around your age over for dinner, keep it simple with two bottles of wine (white and red), then play a movie DVD that's oriented toward the season, or something that would interest people in your age group. I don't see why the traveling types wouldn't make good friends either, they come home too ya know? My parents are 64 and 73 and they've built their own sailboat and sailed all along North America, two years in Baja and the Sea of Cortez, all the way across the ocean from the Marquesa Islands to Tahiti, Tonga, Fiji, Papua New Guinea, Samoa, Nauru, New Zealand (which they didn't like), and Australia (which they loved, so much so in fact that they stayed for three years), then they sailed back to California, sold the boat, and now my dad's a Golf zombie and my mom's bored to death. I'm sure she would enjoy an occasional evening with people in her age group who are low-key, informal, for dinner and a movie here and there.

Old 09-24-2006, 08:02 PM

96 posts, read 325,750 times
Default Mature friends

I have found some very nice friends through volunteering. For example, and depending the size of your town/city, a Hospital, Girl Scouts, Mentoring at schools, the Chamber of Commerce, Guardian Ad Litem, men's clubs, and last but not least, the Red Hat Society for the Mrs. If you don't have a chapter where you live, start one yourself...it's easy and all the ladies will want to join you..
If none of this appeals to you, meet your neighbors by speaking to them when you see them at the mail box, working in the yard, or at the grocery store. Try to find a local restaurant where many of the "oldtimers" hang out.
Best of luck with your search.

Old 09-25-2006, 02:20 PM

5,682 posts, read 10,508,616 times
By "boating", we mean........tubing and fishing. Right now we have a 16' Invader Ski/Fishing boat.
As far as getting the neighborhood together for wine and a DVD movie......I DON'T THINK SO!!!!!!! 99% of our neighbors (moms/dads) are young enough to be "our" kids. Besides that, we really aren't into wine. Now, give us a Coors Light and a shot of Tequila........let's start the party!!!!!!
Fortunately (or unfortunately......depends on how you look at it), I have a very outgoing, funny, sometimes sarcastic type personality. The "quiet people" of society don't know how to handle that. But, my wife sure loves my personality. Laugh, laugh, laugh, we do a lot of that.
Now only that, at 57 years old, I'm still listening to Aerosmith, ACDC, Styx, BTO, Foghat, etc.. And, as we are flying across Chatfield lake in our boat, I have the old CD player blarin' with that music. Chatfield is south of Denver.
Yes, I'm a "live one" and my wife loves it.

Old 09-25-2006, 02:48 PM

796 posts, read 1,519,804 times
Talking chit chat

Quote:
If you can, please give us some suggestions on how to make friends at an older age (later 50's with no kids).
Find out what at level of commutating they are capable of.

Old 09-25-2006, 06:07 PM

338 posts, read 978,586 times
Get a bike, Harley preferablly and go to bike runs- bam your done. Your joking attitude will fit right in and your wife and you will meet all sorts of characters...I don't drink but I do drive a bike and make 1-2 runs each year...both my husband and I--we enjoy meeting all the others. Good luck!

Old 09-25-2006, 06:52 PM

1,117 posts, read 3,226,406 times
Quote:
By "boating", we mean........tubing and fishing. Right now we have a 16' Invader Ski/Fishing boat.
As far as getting the neighborhood together for wine and a DVD movie......I DON'T THINK SO!!!!!!! 99% of our neighbors (moms/dads) are young enough to be "our" kids. Besides that, we really aren't into wine. Now, give us a Coors Light and a shot of Tequila........let's start the party!!!!!!
Fortunately (or unfortunately......depends on how you look at it), I have a very outgoing, funny, sometimes sarcastic type personality. The "quiet people" of society don't know how to handle that. But, my wife sure loves my personality. Laugh, laugh, laugh, we do a lot of that.
Now only that, at 57 years old, I'm still listening to Aerosmith, ACDC, Styx, BTO, Foghat, etc.. And, as we are flying across Chatfield lake in our boat, I have the old CD player blarin' with that music. Chatfield is south of Denver.
Yes, I'm a "live one" and my wife loves it.
I wish you lived in our town or we lived in yours LoveBoating! You sound like our kind of friends - listen to our baby boomer music, have a few laughs and some fun! Although we do know many nice people, we don't know many fun ones - some, not many. We know lots of "proper" people. Snooze...
(BTW - our teenage kids love Mom and Dad's "old" music. My DS learned how to play Deep Purple's "Smoke on the Water" on his electric guitar just for me! Sniff* That's my boy!)
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement