Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 07-27-2012, 01:39 PM

798 posts, read 2,728,562 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Any thoughts on Blacksburg as a place to retire? It's a pretty town in the mountains, plus you'd have the advantages of being in a college town.
It's on the list to explore.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-27-2012, 01:45 PM

798 posts, read 2,728,562 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rtom45 View Post
We thought about Blacksburg before choosing Roanoke. You have the advantges of being in a college town in Blacksburg. You also have the disadvantages of being in a college town.
I agree with this.. I remember when we went there with my daughter on her college visit and thought it was a nice town/area but also thought at that time, not so sure I want to live in a town with such a large college crowd..

Old 07-27-2012, 03:10 PM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Irish Eyes, if you go on an exploratory trip to Blacksburg I hope you post a detailed review. And maybe photos! You know how I love photos.

Some goes for Roanoke. I would love to read detailed notes and see some photos of the city from the perspective of it as a place to retire.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:43 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by loveautumn View Post
I have visited Virginia a few times and have always felt "at home" there, not sure why but when I'm there I feel like I live there. I am checking out retirement places in October, so I'll let you know my thoughts. I'll be going to Charlottesville (my #1 choice), Richmond (west side), Roanoke and possibly Williamsburg. I'm trying to get in as much as I can because cross country trips are expensive, but I want to spend most of my time exploring Charlottesville and west side of Virginia. Coming from California, the COL doesn't seem all that outrageous to me (won't be buying a home). Anyway, I just like the vibe in Virginia, there are lots of things to do within a short distance (by California standards) and I like the 4 seasons but not too extreme. And I do think it is a pretty well run state, unlike California which is on the verge of collapse. I've done alot of research on places all over the country, and I have pretty much decided I'll retire somewhere in Virginia
I liked Salem, adjacent to Roanoke and small town feel. Roanoke College campus is lovely, as is the public library on Main Street. There's a natural foods store downtown, and everything seems walkable. If you want the city, it is minutes away.

Old 07-29-2012, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GreenGene View Post
All of that being said, every time I visit New England (Maine last month, and Vermont next month), I feel like I've just gone home.
I just got back from three days in Vermont. It is lovely, but many many miles between towns and green mountains to the point of never wanting to see them again, lol. To retire there would mean driving, driving, driving. Winters are loooong winters, and the towns that look so lovely in spring-summer fall (half the year) seem bleak in winter. Burlington is a lifestyle city, very spread out. The inner city neighborhoods are either very upscale historical homes or really rundown neighborhoods, so one would have to live in the burbs (= muchos driving). It seemed to me hard to get around, thank goodness we had the GPS. Outside of Burlington is an endless countryside sprinkled with very small towns with upscale shops. I didn't feel as comfortable there as I feel in Maine, although Maine also has many of the same issues like driving, but it has much more diverse landscape and things to do. Kayak in VT, but beaches in Maine. That said, I wouldn't rule out Vermont, as long as you have the full picture beyond the romantic New England scenery.

What's nice about the Roanoke area is that the city, town, and country life are more accessible to each other. And you get nicer winters and have access to North in the summer and South in the winter, if you want it.

Old 07-29-2012, 09:30 AM

5,097 posts, read 6,348,476 times
My mother lives in Vermont and from what she says... Vermont, although beautiful...is not so tax friendly to seniors. Personally, I've never checked that out.

She says there is one Dermatologist for almost an entire county and she has had to wait 2 months to get to see her. Not so good.

Yes, winters can be very bleak.

Old 07-29-2012, 12:38 PM

361 posts, read 737,524 times
Here in Fairfax City we have everything including buses that go to Metro.
Summers are so hot and humid. Traffic is awful.
I know it's kind of a high cost of living place, but I've been here so long I'm used to it.
One son lives right across town, other son not so far down the highway, so I plan to stay.

Old 07-29-2012, 03:19 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
My mother lives in Vermont and from what she says... Vermont, although beautiful...is not so tax friendly to seniors. Personally, I've never checked that out.

She says there is one Dermatologist for almost an entire county and she has had to wait 2 months to get to see her. Not so good.

Yes, winters can be very bleak.
I think I have perhaps 40-50 dermatologists within 15 miles of where I live. Perhaps there are so few where your mother lives because there's not enough sun for people to get run of the mill skin cancers - or people don't have enough money to spend on cosmetic work? Robyn

Old 07-29-2012, 03:28 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I just got back from three days in Vermont. It is lovely, but many many miles between towns and green mountains to the point of never wanting to see them again, lol. To retire there would mean driving, driving, driving. Winters are loooong winters, and the towns that look so lovely in spring-summer fall (half the year) seem bleak in winter. Burlington is a lifestyle city, very spread out. The inner city neighborhoods are either very upscale historical homes or really rundown neighborhoods, so one would have to live in the burbs (= muchos driving). It seemed to me hard to get around, thank goodness we had the GPS. Outside of Burlington is an endless countryside sprinkled with very small towns with upscale shops. I didn't feel as comfortable there as I feel in Maine, although Maine also has many of the same issues like driving, but it has much more diverse landscape and things to do. Kayak in VT, but beaches in Maine. That said, I wouldn't rule out Vermont, as long as you have the full picture beyond the romantic New England scenery.

What's nice about the Roanoke area is that the city, town, and country life are more accessible to each other. And you get nicer winters and have access to North in the summer and South in the winter, if you want it.
You know the worst thing about many parts of New England IMO? In prime season - like leaf changing season - a lot of it just turns into one big traffic jam. I remember the last time we went - maybe 10-15 years ago. Were passing through Bennington - planning to have lunch and explore. Traffic was backed up like 5 miles out of town. Why? Because of one traffic light - and a billion cars. We never did get to Bennington. FWIW - same thing happened to us last time we tried to go to New Hope PA. The traffic was even worse than the traffic in Miami or Los Angeles. Robyn

Old 07-29-2012, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
You know the worst thing about many parts of New England IMO? In prime season - like leaf changing season - a lot of it just turns into one big traffic jam. I remember the last time we went - maybe 10-15 years ago. Were passing through Bennington - planning to have lunch and explore. Traffic was backed up like 5 miles out of town. Why? Because of one traffic light - and a billion cars. We never did get to Bennington. FWIW - same thing happened to us last time we tried to go to New Hope PA. The traffic was even worse than the traffic in Miami or Los Angeles. Robyn
There are no traffic jams where I live in New England, and none in the Berkshires as far as I've ever known. Any jams would occur on routes with known "quaint" things like general stores, fall fairs, etc. The best foliage to be seen in any of the New England states would be on less traveled roads, and off the major highways. Bennington artisans and potters is a huge draw, so that's why you got the traffic.

I don't know about Virginia traffic. I was traveling down the Western side and never saw one. It's probably a good idea before setting out to travel to tourist areas to google and find out what's happening on any given weekend in an area. A big fair or craft show is going to produce traffic and a lack of hotel vacancies, often with higher rates.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement