U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-25-2012, 09:21 AM

8,763 posts, read 10,837,755 times

Advertisements

Most of our lives are pretty much ruled by the 'default king' ... get an education, work hard, pay the mortgage, raise and educate the the kids, pay-off the house, take a few vacations, advance the career, buy new cars and other stuff ... and save a little for retirement. 'Retirement' remains somewhat of a mythical place (like 'Camelot') in the distant future, where the 'default king' no longer rules our lives.

On the way there, we cobble together a financial plan which, for the most part, consists of organizing whatever we are able to save into enough 'buckets' or 'ladders' to allow us to stay in 'Camelot' for an indefinite period of time. Thoughts of funding hobbies, travel, new cars and houses and stuff, and staving-off the evil ogre 'unexpected health problems and costs' are there, --but, often exist is a fuzzy, undefined cloud surrounding 'Camelot'.

Upon arrival, we enthusiastically enjoy no longer having the 'default king' breathing down our necks every day. For a while, "no longer having to _____________" and being able to 'do whatever we want' ... becomes our new 'retirement plan.' However, after 4-5 years, it dawns on some of us, "I don't really have a retirement plan ... beyond simply 'winging it' through my remaining years (which is a much shorter time than it used to be!)" - "Oh well", we think; "this type of status-quo isn't too shabby ... I'll just keep doing that."

Finally getting to the point: It seems like we spend an inordinate amount of time 'planning to get to Camelot', but, not much time 'planning our lives after we arrive.' I'm wondering; ... is this simply fanciful thinking, or have others thought about and dealt with the same thing.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-25-2012, 10:12 AM

23,605 posts, read 31,475,774 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
Finally getting to the point: It seems like we spend an inordinate amount of time 'planning to get to Camelot', but, not much time 'planning our lives after we arrive.' I'm wondering; ... is this simply fanciful thinking, or have others thought about and dealt with the same thing.
We like it where and how it is. Beyond that it's all about spontaneity for us within our means.

Old 07-25-2012, 11:53 AM

29,775 posts, read 34,860,277 times
Quote:
Most of our lives are pretty much ruled by the 'default king' ... get an education, work hard, pay the mortgage, raise and educate the the kids, pay-off the house, take a few vacations, advance the career, buy new cars and other stuff ... and save a little for retirement. 'Retirement' remains somewhat of a mythical place (like 'Camelot') in the distant future, where the 'default king' no longer rules our lives.

On the way there, we cobble together a financial plan which, for the most part, consists of organizing whatever we are able to save into enough 'buckets' or 'ladders' to allow us to stay in 'Camelot' for an indefinite period of time. Thoughts of funding hobbies, travel, new cars and houses and stuff, and staving-off the evil ogre 'unexpected health problems and costs' are there, --but, often exist is a fuzzy, undefined cloud surrounding 'Camelot'.

Upon arrival, we enthusiastically enjoy no longer having the 'default king' breathing down our necks every day. For a while, "no longer having to _____________" and being able to 'do whatever we want' ... becomes our new 'retirement plan.' However, after 4-5 years, it dawns on some of us, "I don't really have a retirement plan ... beyond simply 'winging it' through my remaining years (which is a much shorter time than it used to be!)" - "Oh well", we think; "this type of status-quo isn't too shabby ... I'll just keep doing that."

So very true. Getting to Camelot is only one stage as Camelot has many roads to travel and we need to start thinking about them. I am with you and interestingly in the 4-5 years retired stage. We still future income to plan for.

Old 07-25-2012, 12:26 PM

34,682 posts, read 33,681,492 times
Only being responsible for myself (after divorce), I've pretty much winged my life. I'm always amazed looking back how I always seemed to land on my feet. Where do I see myself in 5 years? Where do I see myself in 5 hours? I don't know.

I'm only anal about vacation planning.

Old 07-25-2012, 04:03 PM

5,356 posts, read 16,344,123 times
Other that a couple of lifetime trips, which I'll plan for in detail, we're going to pretty much be winging it. I do have ideas on things to do and hobbies to try, but they'll either work out or they won't. I envision a lot of spontaneous activities.

Old 07-26-2012, 10:09 AM

8,763 posts, read 10,837,755 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
So very true. Getting to Camelot is only one stage as Camelot has many roads to travel and we need to start thinking about them. I am with you and interestingly in the 4-5 years retired stage. We still future income to plan for.
Thanks. Sometimes I think we get so focused on the important financial issues of retirement ... that we lose sight of the non-financial issues of simply living as a retired person (and I didn't want to mix-up this same sounding thread in yours).

Old 07-26-2012, 02:32 PM

29,775 posts, read 34,860,277 times
Quote:
Thanks. Sometimes I think we get so focused on the important financial issues of retirement ... that we lose sight of the non-financial issues of simply living as a retired person (and I didn't want to mix-up this same sounding thread in yours).
Hey they are one and the same. Froom my perspective if you are now comfortable and loving retirement and it was planning that helped get you there you probably want to continue some planning to continue being comfortable and loving it. This is so good I want to crunch the numbers and make sure it stays this way and when it will get even better.

Old 07-26-2012, 03:03 PM

605 posts, read 556,355 times
Quote:
Do agree with the above statement; financial planning is only part/half of the retirement living;
especially married/living with another being, what will you be doing the time you used to commute,
work, etc.

Someone mentioned the best laid plans of mice and men----Remember attending a women's financial seminar, it was stated the average age of a widow was 54 in 1993.

For ourselves, my husband had an accident at work, he was forced to retire at age 40.Retirement for us---my returning to work outside the home, while dear husband managed the home, being a full time Dad to our two teenage sons. When I was able to retire, we finally moved. We both enjoyed activities individually as well as together.

Old 07-28-2012, 09:29 AM

1 posts, read 1,467 times
[FONT=Arial]There's a great series of seminars coming up for folks who want to leave the rat race behind and live in [/FONT][FONT=Arial]Thailand[/FONT][FONT=Arial] permanently.

Thailand is one of the few places in the world that combines hot weather, a variety of delicious food, friendly (and loving) people, excellent (and inexpensive) medical care and the possibily of living a Western lifestyle for about half or a third of the cost of any typical American or British city. And it's safe. There's no graffitti or vandalism or hooliganism and hardly any violence.

Let us tell you exactly how you can live a better life by moving to [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]Thailand[/FONT][FONT=Arial] and also how to generate an extra modest income from home so that you can live in luxury.

Please visit [URL="http://www.abetterlifethailand.com"]www.abetterlifethailand.com[/URL] for more details. We're coming to meet potential retirees (or long-term 'winter' visitors) in [/FONT]
[FONT=Arial]London[/FONT][FONT=Arial] October 6-7, [/FONT][FONT=Arial]Seattle[/FONT][FONT=Arial] October 20-21 and [/FONT][FONT=Arial]Los Angeles[/FONT][FONT=Arial] November 3-4.

Please contact me if you have questions.
Gary Orman
A Better Life, Inc.
[email]gary@abetterlifeThailand.com[/email][/FONT]
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or