Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-26-2019, 09:40 PM

8,620 posts, read 5,652,717 times

Advertisements

I just figured out that in life, for human beings (as opposed to dogs, for instance) - there are always problems and obstacles that crop up that you must deal with.

I think that some people have fewer problems than others, but I'm not really sure.

Anyway, given that there are always *things* to deal with, problems to solve, and stuff to take care of, when you are really elderly, this must really play on you if you can't handle it.

I'm already getting sick of constant stuff to deal with and I'm in my late sixties.

I just realized I have developed an entitlement mentality, where I want the next decade to be "fun."

I don't want to deal with any serious problems!

I think this is a grown-up version of "life isn't fair," but after awhile, it gets ridiculous to have to keep dealing with problems.

I guess this was kind of a rant - can you relate or do you either have no problems or feel differently about the subject?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-26-2019, 09:43 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Well, if you had a ton of money and staff and lawyers you could afford to take care of problems for you, it wouldn't be so bad, eh?

I've been wondering how I ever got so much done when I was a young, single working mother. I feel like I can't get done what I want to get done every day, and I don't work! There's always another challenge. But, the upside to that is, I'm never bored.

Old 01-26-2019, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoMoreSnowForMe View Post
Well, if you had a ton of money and staff and lawyers you could afford to take care of problems for you, it wouldn't be so bad, eh?

I've been wondering how I ever got so much done when I was a young, single working mother. I feel like I can't get done what I want to get done every day, and I don't work! There's always another challenge. But, the upside to that is, I'm never bored.
I am also never bored, and I can't believe how *busy* I am - it is incredible to think I used to work full time, go to school, travel, and raise a family - I don't understand how it was possible.

I think it's a time/physics thing.

Old 01-26-2019, 09:50 PM

Quote:

You must be talking about a "fixer."

Yes, I need a "fixer!"

Old 01-26-2019, 10:02 PM

18,813 posts, read 32,505,733 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobodysbusiness View Post
You must be talking about a "fixer."

Yes, I need a "fixer!"
LOL, yeah, a fixer would be nice. Like having one of those Hey Siri or Hey Google things, but you can actually say, "Hey Siri, go to the pharmacy for me and pick up my medications" "Hey, Siri, water the plants on the balcony" "Hey, Siri, wash the dishes" "Hey, Siri, go get a haircut for me"

Old 01-26-2019, 10:10 PM

Quote:
LOL, yeah, a fixer would be nice. Like having one of those Hey Siri or Hey Google things, but you can actually say, "Hey Siri, go to the pharmacy for me and pick up my medications" "Hey, Siri, water the plants on the balcony" "Hey, Siri, wash the dishes" "Hey, Siri, go get a haircut for me"
Yes!

I am sure that is not far off!

Old 01-26-2019, 10:12 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
It IS always something. Medicare decision time, income tax time, doctors appt time, lab test time, housework that I used to have a lot more energy for, grocery shopping time, cooking time, downsizing time, worry about your aging friends time.

Which wouldn't be so bad if we were still looking forward to things like a new job or a new house, figuring out the perfect place to retire, but it seems like all I do are mundane things now. There are a few little things that I'm looking forward to--if I ever have TIME with all this other stuff going on. I need a secretary and a housekeeper.

Old 01-26-2019, 10:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
It IS always something. Medicare decision time, income tax time, doctors appt time, lab test time, housework that I used to have a lot more energy for, grocery shopping time, cooking time, downsizing time, worry about your aging friends time.

Which wouldn't be so bad if we were still looking forward to things like a new job or a new house, figuring out the perfect place to retire, but it seems like all I do are mundane things now. There are a few little things that I'm looking forward to--if I ever have TIME with all this other stuff going on. I need a secretary and a housekeeper.
Yes - at minimum a gardener, housekeeper, bookkeeper, problem-solver, driver, etc.

I really do just want to have fun.

I remember thinking a long time ago, that there are people who have very difficult lives, and those who go water skiing, golfing, or on get-a-ways every weekend! I don't know how those people do it (and I never have).

Old 01-26-2019, 11:11 PM

13,395 posts, read 13,507,892 times
It took until your late 60s to figure out that life has constant problems? Huh?

Old 01-26-2019, 11:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by charlygal View Post
It took until your late 60s to figure out that life has constant problems? Huh?
One of my relatives made such a remark to me when I was forty, and I was in shock. I believed the fairytales.

I am a naïve type.

Plus, I'm just getting sick of the b.s. of it all. It's just "too much."

When I was younger, I had more of a tolerance for it, and now, not so much.

But I was really thinking about my penchant to want some fun years and my objection to problems AND how really, really old people must feel about this stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement