U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 11-16-2007, 01:46 PM

42,837 posts, read 79,039,435 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
I know in Costa Rico you can buy into the health system for $10K and receive some fairly decent health care. Rents are very cheap compared to USA and the people are friendly.
I was reading that in Panama retired foreigners get the same 25% discount on many things like flights, trains, etc. (probably only domestic I'd imagine) the country gives to its own citizens. If I'm not mistaken Panama's only requirement was proof of $500/month income. I'm pretty sure it was Panama, but if it isn't, there definitely was a country requiring only so little. Costa Rica is more expensive.

There are plenty of retirement communities in Mexico. Obviously, living on the beach is not as cheap, but there are so many other places. Remember Lake Chapala was mentioned as quite popular with Americans. Many places offer quite a few advantages. There was some tax advantage in Cyprus, too, but since I won't have the pleasure for a loooong time I haven't retained all of the info.

The way everything's going here, I can only hope there's gonna be some cheaper country left to retire to when my times comes...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 11-16-2007, 04:12 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,573,689 times
We were concerned about going to Costa Rica and having the government change drastically. I know some ex-pats in Venezuela are basically stuck there and Chavez has been busy taking property back from them. A professor and his wife that were interviewed were terrified of losing their home and not being able to come back to the U.S with any of their savings. Food for thought.

Old 11-16-2007, 05:06 PM

Quote:
We were concerned about going to Costa Rica and having the government change drastically. I know some ex-pats in Venezuela are basically stuck there and Chavez has been busy taking property back from them. A professor and his wife that were interviewed were terrified of losing their home and not being able to come back to the U.S with any of their savings. Food for thought.
As if the same is not happening here... raging inflation, stagnant salaries, even more stagnant fixed income, tanking dollar, booms and busts, manipulated market...now they're talking even about money market funds losing value (never happened before to the best of my knowledge)... it's all highway robbery in one form or another anyway.

I'm surprised you're saying this about Costa Rica. It's a pretty stable country.

Old 11-16-2007, 07:57 PM

609 posts, read 1,912,569 times
Quote:
I lived in Cista Rica for 3 years. I left due to prices and crime. Costa Rica has no military, but 50,000 armed police, a lot for a small country.
I do not think there will ever be a problem live Venezuela.

I also lived in Panama for 1 year. It has gotten fairly expensive.

Also several locations in Mexico for 3 years. Expensive now also.

Old 11-17-2007, 10:39 AM

13,314 posts, read 25,546,272 times
I've read that the south-border retirements are excellent if you live on the local economy, like the local people. If you go to a place that is full of ex-pat retirees, you get expenses quite close to California or Florida.
I personally have no interest in being out of the country or anywhere warm, but that's me.

Old 11-17-2007, 06:27 PM

13,773 posts, read 33,896,767 times
I moved to NE AL from FL and I am so happy I did. I bought an older brick home in a small town for less than 100K. Property taxes this year were 165.00 and HOI $650.00. AL does tax my pension but not the SS. All in all it is much cheaper for me to live here. FL HOI and property taxes are causing many ppl to leave FL. Who can afford $5000.00 or more for HOI and $3000.00 for Property tax on a 120K home if it is just you.

You can rent a 1 bedroom apt here for less than $450.00 a month.
It is a safe town with friendly ppl and not too far from larger cities.

Old 11-18-2007, 10:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gregandvicky View Post
I lived in Cista Rica for 3 years. I left due to prices and crime. Costa Rica has no military, but 50,000 armed police, a lot for a small country.
I do not think there will ever be a problem live Venezuela.

I also lived in Panama for 1 year. It has gotten fairly expensive.

Also several locations in Mexico for 3 years. Expensive now also.
Just read on another thread (not sure how reliable the info is, but it seemed like it was coming from a government site) that Mexico requires $1,500/monthly. That's not exactly cheap... As somebody said, it's true it'd be easier living as locals do and possibly in a location not full of expats.

Old 11-19-2007, 10:09 PM

609 posts, read 1,912,569 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sierraAZ View Post
Just read on another thread (not sure how reliable the info is, but it seemed like it was coming from a government site) that Mexico requires $1,500/monthly. That's not exactly cheap... As somebody said, it's true it'd be easier living as locals do and possibly in a location not full of expats.
Costa Rica requires proof of income in the amount of $800 per month. Panama same except $600. I had residency in both. Lots of retired benefits in Panama. Housing with conveniences is expensive with our standards.
I still have yet to see a US person live like a local in Panama, Mexico, or Honduras where I was for the last 6 years.

Old 11-26-2007, 05:05 PM

8,235 posts, read 18,506,963 times
I moved to NE AL from FL and I am so happy I did. I bought an older brick home in a small town for less than 100K. Property taxes this year were 165.00 and HOI $650.00. AL does tax my pension but not the SS. All in all it is much cheaper for me to live here. FL HOI and property taxes are causing many ppl to leave FL. Who can afford $5000.00 or more for HOI and $3000.00 for Property tax on a 120K home if it is just you

Did you say $165.00 for taxes? Is that a year ? People on Long Island pay as much as $15,000. Some pay even more. And, that's not to say that the quality of life is so much better or anything. A small town sounds wonderfully safe and quiet to this exhausted retiring teacher .

Old 11-26-2007, 05:17 PM

30,675 posts, read 49,423,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nancy thereader View Post
I moved to NE AL from FL and I am so happy I did. I bought an older brick home in a small town for less than 100K. Property taxes this year were 165.00 and HOI $650.00. AL does tax my pension but not the SS. All in all it is much cheaper for me to live here. FL HOI and property taxes are causing many ppl to leave FL. Who can afford $5000.00 or more for HOI and $3000.00 for Property tax on a 120K home if it is just you

Did you say $165.00 for taxes? Is that a year ? People on Long Island pay as much as $15,000. Some pay even more. And, that's not to say that the quality of life is so much better or anything. A small town sounds wonderfully safe and quiet to this exhausted retiring teacher .
I would think that $650 for home owner's insurance sounds reasonable.

$165 for property taxes each year sounds about right for a newer and more expensive home around here.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or