Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 02-27-2008, 10:47 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,317,808 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post

I know of even lower house prices in Youngstown, Ohio and Dayton's east and west sides. Cincinatti has it's fair share of housing bargains to my knowledge, but my memory is fading on which parts of that city are which.
It's not always the cost of the house itself. There are property taxes to consider, too. If the property tax is four figures a year, that sucks big time. There are places where the houses aren't quite so cheap, but the annual taxes are much lower. Taxes would be an on-going expense, year after year. And there are a lot of places listed on ebay, houses as well as land, but still it's imperative to do research into the areas under consideration. A 'cheap' house may not be at all cheap, once taxes and utilities are included in the mix.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 02-28-2008, 06:40 AM

37,437 posts, read 61,329,236 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
It's not always the cost of the house itself. There are property taxes to consider, too. ....
I agree,

Areas with cheap housing AND two digit taxes are important.

Old 02-28-2008, 11:14 AM

5,826 posts, read 9,603,255 times
Quote:
There are property taxes to consider, too. If the property tax is four figures a year, that sucks big time. There are places where the houses aren't quite so cheap, but the annual taxes are much lower.
For the sake of clarification, my property tax in WV as well as my property in ME are both under $200/year. I did take that into consideration and it is part of what I was discussing.

Old 02-28-2008, 07:36 PM

3,724 posts, read 9,317,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AliceT View Post
For the sake of clarification, my property tax in WV as well as my property in ME are both under $200/year. I did take that into consideration and it is part of what I was discussing.
Oh, I wasn't picking on you. I started looking all over the country last year when I knew I'd be moving. A lot of the really 'cheap' places were either abandoned - as in northern Michigan - or repos being listed by on line companies that buy them bulk from various banks. And there are a lot of plots of land fsbo and owner-financed, but those are spectaculary beautiful and far enough from amenities that one needs to not only have a vehicle, but have drinking water delivered, as well. A lot of the places I looked at in the bigger cities in Indiana and Ohio in particular, had astronomical property taxes. Some of the cities have ordinances requiring that a 'fixer upper' be fixed and inspected each step of the way and a CO given before it can be inhabited. I found what I want, where I want it, and it's affordable both for purchase and ordinary cost of living, including taxes.

Old 03-02-2008, 07:48 PM

2,410 posts, read 5,815,755 times
Quote:
Oh, I wasn't picking on you. I started looking all over the country last year when I knew I'd be moving. A lot of the really 'cheap' places were either abandoned - as in northern Michigan - or repos being listed by on line companies that buy them bulk from various banks. And there are a lot of plots of land fsbo and owner-financed, but those are spectaculary beautiful and far enough from amenities that one needs to not only have a vehicle, but have drinking water delivered, as well. A lot of the places I looked at in the bigger cities in Indiana and Ohio in particular, had astronomical property taxes. Some of the cities have ordinances requiring that a 'fixer upper' be fixed and inspected each step of the way and a CO given before it can be inhabited. I found what I want, where I want it, and it's affordable both for purchase and ordinary cost of living, including taxes.
I agree that the cost of the real estate can be misleading is looked at in isolation and without considering all the other related costs. Glad to hear you were successful at finding what you wanted. Where did you end up?

Old 03-02-2008, 08:02 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,555,404 times
Yes, please share. I'm interested, too. I am so glad you have found the place you were looking for......

Old 03-02-2008, 08:36 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,462,120 times
A fried of mine dreams of, at retirement, selling his house in NJ & buying a home in NC near the beaches & golf courses & then either supplementing his income with a job at a golf course/boat marina (two things he loves). If he is retired he would also have an income for his IRA/401k & with the profit on his Jersey house be able to hopefully buy a home in NC with no mortgage, so the supplemental income would be to ensure health insurance/spending money. However we are all a long time off from retiring so...

Old 03-02-2008, 08:52 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,555,404 times
That's interesting....what a great plan. I hope to be in a decent position, but still have one to put thru college. I often also think of NC as a great place, and was even thinking....move down to NC (or a nicer, calmer, less expensive and chaotic (city) place than I am now), and pay the out of state rate the first year, bite the bullet on that, and then get the state rate for the state U (and NC's are good, I understand). Was even thinking of living near enough a college town so she could commute, live at home (my oldest one commutes...I'm a great proponent of that).

NC does seem like a very nice place to "retire."

Old 03-02-2008, 11:54 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,462,120 times
You might decide to even wait the 4 years (hopefully) until your child is done with school - 4 years goes fast & you can use that for planning. Good Luck to you! Happy retiring

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailaway50 View Post
That's interesting....what a great plan. I hope to be in a decent position, but still have one to put thru college. I often also think of NC as a great place, and was even thinking....move down to NC (or a nicer, calmer, less expensive and chaotic (city) place than I am now), and pay the out of state rate the first year, bite the bullet on that, and then get the state rate for the state U (and NC's are good, I understand). Was even thinking of living near enough a college town so she could commute, live at home (my oldest one commutes...I'm a great proponent of that).

NC does seem like a very nice place to "retire."

Old 03-03-2008, 10:26 AM

1,862 posts, read 3,341,572 times
Go to upstate NY - although the climate is not mild. I grew up in rural upstate, and part of my family is still there. Might be where I will end up!

Anyway, you can get an apartment for $400-500 month, in my little town of Jordan, or maybe Elbridge, or Weedsport, or Port Byron. Of course, the reason being that NOBODY really wants to go there - it's so dead. But, if you don't mind quiet, rural living, it's a good place for it. In fact, behind my mother's house there are apartments for retirees.

When I grew up, there were 1200 people in town - I think there might be a bit more now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement