U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-03-2008, 10:39 AM

19,522 posts, read 20,951,485 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
I have read many informative posts on this Board about where to retire in the U.S. What I am seeing are retirees who already own a home (mortgage paid off), have either a dual pension income (married couple) or a huge pension as a single person, have health insurance provided by a former employer....and, these individuals are financially able to relocate and purchase another home or live in a retirement community that runs around $2-3k/month, or they are in a position that they can travel a lot, play golf, etc.

I am not in any of the situations listed above. I will be on a very limited income, I do not own a home (have never owned a home), will not have health insurance other than Medicare and whatever supplemental health insurance I can afford to purchase.

I will have to continue to work after starting to collect s/s when I turn 66, either part time or full time for as long as I am able to work. I would love to start collecting s/s prior to age 66...BUT, I cannot survive financially on the lower monthly benefit...and with the rules about what I can earn annually (prior to age 66)...I would not make it.

Therefore...I am looking for areas to relocate to (other than KS where I am now...terrible winter weather and HIGH taxes, etc.)...that would offer me as mild a climate as possible (am thru having to drive in the winter on ice/snow)...and looking for housing (apartment to rent) that is below $600/month. At my stage of life and looking at my finances, purchasing a home would not be feasible, it would be better to just rent. Mainly because it is better to use the money to eat, etc., than have to put out a huge down payment and have to worry about the cost of maintenance on a home.

Anyone out there have any ideas where a single woman can live safely, in a weather climate better than KS, where the rents are in the $600/month or lower range?

I am not a 'party' person, not into traveling a lot, nor do I need to be on the go all the time. Also am not materialistic or into the night life scene. I am not into shopping and only buy clothes when they are really needed. I'm a person who is content and just looking for a place to "hang my hat" and be able to buy food, be safe and find full or part-time office work.

Maybe I'm just dreaming of the impossible. But there has to be others in a similar situation as I am. Not everyone has big bucks when the retirement age arrives.
Katie, instead of just talking money money money, let me turn you on to a book which looks at retirement form a whole different perspective. It may appeal to you, it may not. But it's worth a look...

Amazon.com: How to Retire Happy, Wild, and Free: Retirement Wisdom That You Won't Get from Your Financial Advisor: Ernie J. Zelinski: Books
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-03-2008, 09:38 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,410,579 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by b75 View Post
You might decide to even wait the 4 years (hopefully) until your child is done with school - 4 years goes fast & you can use that for planning. Good Luck to you! Happy retiring
I do think that's the way to go, certainly no sense in changing high schools...especially when it's working.

I was interested in a post above regarding upstate NY. I hadn't thought even "the country" in NY as affordable. Good if you still want (can endure?) winter and more varied seasons......

Old 03-04-2008, 05:20 AM

4,737 posts, read 10,351,196 times
Yes, but the winters are brutal. I would choose a place where I wouldnt be paying $400 a month for a heating bill 6 months out of the year. Also, being able to walk to the store would be a big decision on where I would retire.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailaway50 View Post
I do think that's the way to go, certainly no sense in changing high schools...especially when it's working.

I was interested in a post above regarding upstate NY. I hadn't thought even "the country" in NY as affordable. Good if you still want (can endure?) winter and more varied seasons......

Old 03-04-2008, 05:24 AM

3,760 posts, read 9,628,885 times
My husband's parents live in Upstate about 45 minutes north of Albany. I think it is a horror for the elderly. Snow, ice, maintenance, high taxes, low services, etc. We cannot get them to leave to live closer so we are waiting it out. As soon as father passes (hope many years left) Mom will have to come since she cannot afford to live there on her SS.

Where they live, you have to be able to drive in all seasons. Heating and now AC for the last few years are exhorbitant.

One small thing in their favor are the income supported senior apartments if you can get into them. But you still have to deal with driving and the weather. I thought Alaska was hard but Upstate NY is worse.

Old 03-04-2008, 07:46 AM

30,752 posts, read 49,586,897 times
It is interesting to hear that Upper NY is so much worse than here in Maine.

Old 03-04-2008, 11:23 AM

1,006 posts, read 1,410,579 times
....upper NY sounds like something to cross off the list.....I didn't know it was THAT bad....I live in Chicago, and the heating bill, tops, is about $195. Our place isn't that big, though....

$400 would negate the "low" cost of residence, that's for sure......

Old 03-04-2008, 12:33 PM
b75

950 posts, read 3,183,734 times
Upstate NY is definitely cheap actually. It can be very rural in some parts too. However the winters can be intense & well it can be very rural as I said. It all depends on what it is you want. Personally I have been to various parts of upstate NY from Albany to some very rural parts & altogether to me it is not a great place to live. It varies from run down/poor areas to rural and that is about all I have observed as being there. I'd personally think there is more for you in some parts of NC. But it depends on what you like.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailaway50 View Post

Old 03-19-2008, 02:24 PM

3,724 posts, read 8,296,406 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by xz2y View Post
I agree that the cost of the real estate can be misleading is looked at in isolation and without considering all the other related costs. Glad to hear you were successful at finding what you wanted. Where did you end up?
I missed this awhile back, must have been one of the times my puter was acting up.

The place I settled on is a small and fairly rural eastern Oklahoma town. Big yards, laid-back and friendly people. It's not a choice that many retirees would make, I think, since there's a lack of 'entertainments' such as are available in many retirement/over 55 communities, but it suits me. All I want is a big fenced yard for my dog to run around in, room for a small garden and a few chickens. That's MY idea of entertainment, that and having a burger someone else has to cook and clean up after, once in awhile.

Old 03-20-2008, 02:04 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,183,838 times
You may have to consider a place like Panama that has affordable health care for Pensionados (retirees) and has a reasonable income requirement for residence that your SS would fulfill. And it's not cold there. I have heard that they will accept Medicare there too, but I haven't been able to confirm it.

Old 03-20-2008, 07:27 AM

16,199 posts, read 10,578,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
the $600/month or lower range?

I am not a 'party' person, not into traveling a lot, nor do I need to be on the go all the time. Also am not materialistic or into the night life scene. I am not into shopping and only buy clothes when they are really needed. I'm a person who is content and just looking for a place to "hang my hat" and be able to buy food, be safe and find full or part-time office work.

Maybe I'm just dreaming of the impossible. But there has to be others in a similar situation as I am. Not everyone has big bucks when the retirement age arrives.
We also were looking for a place to retire that wouldn't cost us an arm and leg.
So we moved to DE into a manufactured home. Do some research on mobile home parks and 55+ communities to see if there is anything that might fit you style.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or