U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-11-2008, 11:28 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,577,349 times

Advertisements

You are right, it is what you are used to paying. Nothing reasonable about land in Magalia CA if you are in MO. Compared to other southern depressed states, it is very expensive. Just depends on what you can tollerate as far as weather is. If you can handle (and you may be forced to) extreme cold, then stay put or if the high humidity is not an issue, stay put. Magalia CA offers the west coast retirement crowd some relief if they want to stay in CA. Butte county is one of the most affordable and beautiful spots in CA. Taxes are an issue that baby boomers will have to tangle with and CA has too many bonds and hidden taxes for me. I like AZ even if we have to tollerate hot, hot summers for our cheaper than CA homes.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2008, 11:31 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,577,349 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdinkc View Post
I am always amazed when I read statements such as these. It seems that nearly everyone who posts on c-d is accustomed to paying highly inflated prices for any type of housing. A mobile home for 36,000 in Alamogordo? Yes, I've been looking online at those, too. At first I thought they would be brand new ones. But no, they are used. 36,000 is an outrageous price for a mobile home, regardless of how cared for it might be. Here in Missouri, that same mobile home would cost between 18,000 and 21,000, and that would be for a nearly new 3 BR, 2BA with a covered deck and sunporch, central air, fully equipped kitchen, in a park with paved roads, sidewalks, paved driveways, clubhouse with pool, etc. Why would anyone think they were getting such a good deal at 36,000? Someone else suggested reasonably priced mobile homes including the land in Magalia, CA. Try looking at those prices. Unbelievable that anyone would pay that much. Sure, I want to get out of the Midwest humidity and cold winters and move to New Mexico, but it is NOT a low cost-of-living state when the housing prices are as high as they are. They might be low compared to what most of you on the west coast are accustomed to paying, but they certainly are not reasonably priced.
I have to disagreee with $36,000 being expensive for a use mobile home. It is reasonable today. Check out San Diego, Carlsbad and then compare the two. I guess it matters where you are moving from. You simply can not move from a very inexpensive state to a more expensive state.

Old 06-11-2008, 05:59 PM

126 posts, read 310,722 times
Check Out Leesburg Fl There Our A Few Really Nice Moble Home Retirement Places That You Can Afford To Live It .

Old 06-11-2008, 09:57 PM

1,915 posts, read 4,606,525 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by karibear View Post
I missed this awhile back, must have been one of the times my puter was acting up.

The place I settled on is a small and fairly rural eastern Oklahoma town. Big yards, laid-back and friendly people. It's not a choice that many retirees would make, I think, since there's a lack of 'entertainments' such as are available in many retirement/over 55 communities, but it suits me. All I want is a big fenced yard for my dog to run around in, room for a small garden and a few chickens. That's MY idea of entertainment, that and having a burger someone else has to cook and clean up after, once in awhile.
Thanks for responding. It's always fun and interesting to learn where people end up and for what reasons. We can learn from each other. So glad you have found your own nirvana. How do you feel about "fitting in" such a small town? From what I've read, some folks don't feel accepted in smaller communities, unless they are from that area.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:15 PM

4 posts, read 6,151 times
You are probably already settled by now. If not, here's an idea. I am basically in a simlar situation as you are. I live in a large home that is owned by my son. One of my daughters and her two girls were living with me and they are now ready to move out on their own. I am on a fixed income. My daughter and I shared rent, so in order for me to continue to live in a large home in the country near Atlanta, the answer for me is to find two roommates. You may want to look into something like that. That would allow you to have an affordable life style on a low budget.

Old 07-02-2008, 04:53 PM

345 posts, read 383,875 times
Just a couple of thoughts. I know here in Arizona there are many 55+ trailer, double wide, manufactured home communities. I know seniors living in several. Some seniors own the trailer and lease the land (it sits on), some own the trailer and the land (it sits on), almost all pay a monthly maintenance/park/community fee (which can vary widely). Since almost every trailer/manufactured house has specific insurance costs/needs/financing, since they almost always depreciate faster than a "stick built" house (a moot point if you plan to basically live out your retirement years in one place) - all this begs the advice, "do your due diligence" to know what you're getting into. I'd say renting in any specific 55+ community for the minimum time frame would be a good precaution to see if it'll work out for you before you consider buying. I know you want to ensure you have access to local transportation that provides round trip rides to and from your community to quality medical care and grocery shopping. The advice to locate to a town with good social services/senior center is valid. Best of luck.

Old 07-03-2008, 01:09 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,133,942 times
The rental for a trailer space is often what an apartment's rent would be.

Old 07-03-2008, 08:20 AM

30,680 posts, read 49,437,227 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Really?

Around here apartments go for $300 [without landlord provided heat], and $400 [with provided heat], to as high as $700.

Whereas trailer pads go for $50 to $200.

Though realistically owning your own land is far cheaper. Property taxes on an acre can be as low as $1.05 per acre, depending on the township and their mil rate.

So owning your own pad, or your own house for that matter, on 10 qcres of land might cost you $11 annually.

Old 07-03-2008, 09:24 AM

345 posts, read 383,875 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Generally it's better to own the land a-n-d the trailer that it sits on. Who wants the prospect of rising lot rents? Look for trailer communities that have more setback and space between your trailer and your neighbors around you. Selling a trailer on a leased lot without losing lots of your investment is almost always difficult. Many people don't want to pay lot rent, and relocating a trailer is costly.

Old 07-03-2008, 10:09 AM

30,680 posts, read 49,437,227 times
In this area single wide 40' trailers sell for about $5k on average. I have seen cheaper but they are worn-out.

Friends of ours now are looking at a few trailers; and they are looking at 2 to 10 acre lots with all hook-ups. They are finding that lots that are ready to hook-up to a trailer are selling for $20k to $50k.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or