U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 07-19-2008, 05:40 AM

10,321 posts, read 9,372,412 times

Advertisements

I apologize for not getting back to this thread sooner! And I thank each and every one of you for your valuable input on this subject.

Still having not made any decision (I have another three years before s/s begins); I continue my reseach into the most affordable place "for me" to retire (if retirement is feasible).

Many of the communities offering subsidized housing have rules that the resident is not allowed to have more than $2,000 in the bank and/or in assets. The monthly rent is usually 1/3 of the resident's income. If the resident works and increases their income, then the rent will be increased accordingly.

And most "upscale" retirement communities are charging anywhere from $2,000 and up per month; plus many require an entry fee of $200k or more just to move in.

So far, I have not located a retirement community that is mid-way between subsidized and upscale. If anyone knows of such a place, please let us know.

If someone has sufficient means to retire completely and not struggle financially; or if a person is near poverty level - or whatever their fianancial status may be, it is no reflection on them personally. It just is what it is. Everyone's lives have been lived differenly and there are circumstances that occur during our lives that affect where we end up in our 'golden years'.

When the time comes, if it plays out that I'm not able to quit work, then so be it; I will continue to work as long as I can, and be thankful that I am able to work. If I discover that part-time work will suffice, then that would be great.

We are all unique and have unique situations; and as I've written before: "What's right, is what's right for each of us". There are no set rules here.

I wish each of you happiness and good health, and again thank you for contributing to this thread!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-24-2008, 12:22 AM

1 posts, read 2,057 times
Default Where to live frugally

You might want to look into retirement homes in Mexico. My wife and I have been doing some research via the internet pursuant to buying a home in Mexico because of the cost of living{10 pesos to the dollar} and good very reasonable health care. It seems You can even buy into their Social Security health care plan. You get discounts on many purchases as a senior citizen. {Airfare, taxis, ect.} I came across information on retirement homes by accident and since it didn't pertain to my wife and I, I didn't bookmark it but I'm sure you can find the information by maybe going to ...Mexican retirement homes on Google. Good luck and remember........Aluta Continua. Peace

Old 07-24-2008, 07:15 AM

16,437 posts, read 19,129,232 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bpawbpaw View Post
You might want to look into retirement homes in Mexico.
I have also looked into Mexico quite a bit, as well as Costa Rica, Panama and Equador. What concerns me is the growing lawlessness that might make me a target just because I get a SS check (and am therefore a "rich" gringo). If you know of reasons why I should not be concerned, please share them with me.

Old 07-24-2008, 09:07 AM

9,321 posts, read 16,575,490 times
My husband has been looking at Costa Rico. You can live quite comfortably there and I think the crime is far less than Nicaraugua or Honduras where the crime is high and you might be a moving target. The people in C.R are very friendly, according to my friend who went and explored. I think I would go and rent something for a year to make a decision as big as leaving the USA.

On another note: Alabama is very inexpensive and some of the coastal spots are very charming. Property tax is one of the lowest in the nation. My wants and needs list seems to shrink with this economy. I just need a funny little house on my own land with a spot to bbq. I no longer care about malls or outlets or even restaurants.

Old 07-24-2008, 10:19 AM

152 posts, read 573,689 times
katie45,

I enjoyed your 07/19 email. There is a lot of pratical psicology on what you said. Your approach to retirement is fantastic. I am sure that with your attitude, you will find what you need and will be happy.

Good luck.

Old 07-24-2008, 12:00 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,408,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
On another note: Alabama is very inexpensive and some of the coastal spots are very charming. Property tax is one of the lowest in the nation. My wants and needs list seems to shrink with this economy. I just need a funny little house on my own land with a spot to bbq. I no longer care about malls or outlets or even restaurants.
I had heard the same about Alabama. I met someone from there just this past Sunday, and he was telling me what a great (and reasonable) place Alabama is. He was from Birmingham, but did say he felt the Mobile area was much prettier and a great, interesting (believe he said "charming") place. It's on my list of places to investigate. I suppose a downside would be possible hurricanes......didn't ask him about that.

He said the pace in Alabama is FAR FAR slower than he was experiencing here (big city), felt that it might take some time to get used to that. Actually, I'm SEEKING a much slower pace, so that didn't bother me at all.

Old 07-24-2008, 04:30 PM

10,321 posts, read 9,372,412 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by rferd View Post
katie45,

I enjoyed your 07/19 email. There is a lot of pratical psicology on what you said. Your approach to retirement is fantastic. I am sure that with your attitude, you will find what you need and will be happy.

Good luck.
Thank you for the kind remarks and compliment - and for the well wishes! I wish you the best as well!

Katie

Old 07-25-2008, 09:59 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 16 days ago)

10,456 posts, read 14,303,163 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailaway50 View Post
I had heard the same about Alabama. I met someone from there just this past Sunday, and he was telling me what a great (and reasonable) place Alabama is. He was from Birmingham, but did say he felt the Mobile area was much prettier and a great, interesting (believe he said "charming") place.
Historic downtown is pretty, and there are some very pretty older neighborhoods, but the outskirts are sprawling, lots of fast food places, strip malls, etc. Not too much different from a lot of other cities.

Quote:
It's on my list of places to investigate. I suppose a downside would be possible hurricanes......didn't ask him about that.
My dad went through two hurricanes there and then decided he'd evacuate rather than put up with the aftermath when the last two came through. Other than losing some roof tiles and a bunch of snapped pine trees, he never suffered any property damage, although I don't think the neighbors were as lucky...

Old 07-25-2008, 10:20 PM

1,006 posts, read 1,408,432 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Historic downtown is pretty, and there are some very pretty older neighborhoods, but the outskirts are sprawling, lots of fast food places, strip malls, etc. Not too much different from a lot of other cities.

My dad went through two hurricanes there and then decided he'd evacuate rather than put up with the aftermath when the last two came through. Other than losing some roof tiles and a bunch of snapped pine trees, he never suffered any property damage, although I don't think the neighbors were as lucky...
Thank you for the info. I wonder, how far away from the shore, say in the Mobile area, do you think it might be wise to consider if you want to minimize the risk from possible hurricanes?

Your comment re sprawl, etc...were you referring to B'ham, Mobile or both?

Thanks so much.

Old 07-25-2008, 10:51 PM
Status: "could've~would've~should've used 'have', not 'of'" (set 16 days ago)

10,456 posts, read 14,303,163 times
Quote:
Thank you for the info. I wonder, how far away from the shore, say in the Mobile area, do you think it might be wise to consider if you want to minimize the risk from possible hurricanes?

Your comment re sprawl, etc...were you referring to B'ham, Mobile or both?

Thanks so much.
Sorry, I meant Mobile. I haven't ever been to B'ham.
My dad lived 20 miles inland, the big hurricane that came through in '79 picked up and left a small plane upside down in the middle of the road just a few miles from the house, so I'm guessing more than 20 miles.
Maybe places like Bay Minette or Citronelle would be far enough inland?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or