U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Merry Christmas!
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 07-25-2008, 11:56 PM

1,007 posts, read 1,056,636 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by DubbleT View Post
Sorry, I meant Mobile. I haven't ever been to B'ham.
My dad lived 20 miles inland, the big hurricane that came through in '79 picked up and left a small plane upside down in the middle of the road just a few miles from the house, so I'm guessing more than 20 miles.
Maybe Bay Minette or Citronelle?
Wow. Thanks for the tip on Bay Minette & Citronelle. I'll check into those, as I've always felt Alabama was a good place to consider. We "like" winter, truly, but I think we could always get our "winter" dose with a little travel during the holidays, too.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 07-26-2008, 01:42 PM

8,695 posts, read 10,954,802 times
We are thinking of taking a trip over to see Daphne, Loxley, and Bay Minete AL in late Sept. I will report on what we see if we do make the trip.

Old 07-26-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MotleyCrew View Post
We are thinking of taking a trip over to see Daphne, Loxley, and Bay Minete AL in late Sept. I will report on what we see if we do make the trip.
Great! I would appreciate that very much.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:19 PM

13,633 posts, read 10,766,330 times
This is a wonderful thread. I signed onto city-data hoping to find just what the OP is looking for. I am 62 but earn too much to be able to collect SS right now. When I reach 66 I will drop down to part time work to supplement my SS. I will have to work all the rest of my life so I want to live in a place where my $$ will go the farthest.

I had a great deal of money saved in my 401k at work. Then 9 years ago the funds in everyone's account were wiped out by a ponzi-like scheme perpetuated by the investment firm my union hired to invest the workers' money. Union officials were found to have been a part of this as well as an accounting firm. It was ugly but I found myself at the ripe old age of 55 having to start saving all over again.

So I will never be able to retire completely but at least I have hope I can move to a city where I can live comfortably on the new 401k and other money I have managed to save after the first 401k debacle. This thread has given me some great ideas.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
This is a wonderful thread. I signed onto city-data hoping to find just what the OP is looking for. I am 62 but earn too much to be able to collect SS right now. When I reach 66 I will drop down to part time work to supplement my SS. I will have to work all the rest of my life so I want to live in a place where my $$ will go the farthest.

I had a great deal of money saved in my 401k at work. Then 9 years ago the funds in everyone's account were wiped out by a ponzi-like scheme perpetuated by the investment firm my union hired to invest the workers' money. Union officials were found to have been a part of this as well as an accounting firm. It was ugly but I found myself at the ripe old age of 55 having to start saving all over again.

So I will never be able to retire completely but at least I have hope I can move to a city where I can live comfortably on the new 401k and other money I have managed to save after the first 401k debacle. This thread has given me some great ideas.
So many have sad financial stories like this, anymore. All beyond our control. I feel for your situation and wish you the best.

Yes, I also think I'm getting some great ideas from CD and this thread.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:36 PM

13,633 posts, read 10,766,330 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Sailaway50 View Post
So many have sad financial stories like this, anymore. All beyond our control. I feel for your situation and wish you the best.

Yes, I also think I'm getting some great ideas from CD and this thread.
Thanks, Sailaway, things like this do happen no matter how much we plan. But as they say what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. Or at least more aware of how quickly things can change.

Old 07-26-2008, 11:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
Thanks, Sailaway, things like this do happen no matter how much we plan. But as they say what doesn't kill us makes us stronger. Or at least more aware of how quickly things can change.
Thank YOU for sharing your story and inspiring words.

Yes, we have a whopper of a story also. Business failure and all that, big changes. We're in store for more, I see this COMING. But we, too, have gotten stronger (I hope).

The one thing is, I seem to appreciate more of the actual quality things in life and I'm getting amazed at how much simpler I actually want life to be after all. Hey, within reason.

Carry on!

Old 07-27-2008, 12:11 AM

13,496 posts, read 25,521,609 times
Just wanted to say that I've been enjoying this thread, too. I'm sorry for the bad things that have happened to some of you. Just sad stories, but your attitudes are still good.

We didn't lose in horrible situations like some of you have faced. Between medical bills and vet bills, we have just not been able to save as much as we would need to ever retire totally. I'll be a lifer, too. Maybe we'll be the happiest people in the end????

Old 08-01-2008, 06:39 PM

2,795 posts, read 3,834,170 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jammie View Post
Just wanted to say that I've been enjoying this thread, too. I'm sorry for the bad things that have happened to some of you. Just sad stories, but your attitudes are still good.

We didn't lose in horrible situations like some of you have faced. Between medical bills and vet bills, we have just not been able to save as much as we would need to ever retire totally. I'll be a lifer, too. Maybe we'll be the happiest people in the end????
Thanks Jammie!! I'm glad you are enjoying everyone's postings! I have sure gained a lot of good advice!

Old 08-01-2008, 07:38 PM

8,837 posts, read 23,409,078 times
Admitting I have not read the entire thread so this may be a re-run: someone jokingly suggested Mexico - I'll suggest it again but not in jest - there are plenty of "retired gringo" communities there, your dollar does go further. You can certainly find a place that is warm with no snow.

Of course it would help if you learn Spanish, but, you don't have to be fluent to live there. You can pick it up easily if you try (Hey, I am near-fluent in Russian, and started in my late 30's...)

If you want to get really exotic, Thailand - although probably Mexico is more practical.

Something to think about.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Quick Reply

Over $89,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement