U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-29-2014, 06:44 PM

1 posts, read 1,390 times

Advertisements

I disagree with wv being a good place to retire. None of the four counties that I travel in have any bus systems so it is not like that is state wide. Huntington is warmer and flatter and nicer town. I work in health care in the beckley area and am advised by my co workers that the hospitals are substandard. Sunny days rank with Alaska of about 61 a year. There is a lot of snow. Shoveling snow and driving in it are no fun when health slows down. For that matter driving on the curvy .roads bothers my arthritic shoulders. The crime is also
Bad here as there are a lot of meth addicts. I did not know how bad crime was til I got robbed and everyone I know has a story to tell. NC is nice but taxes are high. TN was a very nice state and taxes cheaper than NC I believe. VA has a very high cost of living in Blacksburg area. Roanoke, Salem areas can find condos which would be cheaper and that is nice city to live in.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-29-2014, 07:04 PM

1,689 posts, read 2,060,798 times
Fred, the thread is almost 6 years old.

Old 10-01-2014, 09:34 AM

177 posts, read 194,373 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chaser199 View Post
Fred, the thread is almost 6 years old.
I was glad to see it pulled up from the catacombs. I read through all 20+ pages this morning and one of the things that jumped out at me (again) is how wonderful Submariner describes Maine as a retirement spot. It is usually never on my radar but after reading Submariner's posts I always wonder if Maine could contain my "El Dorado".

Old 10-01-2014, 10:01 AM

66 posts, read 142,932 times
Default Thanks from me too, Fred

Fred, I also say thank you for reviving this thread. I finally made it to Central Florida, & I think it is beautiful and the people are nice. The price is also certainly right for me. My living costs are half what they were in Pennsylvania. While I have only been here for a few months, I am not sure this is where I want to be forever so reading about other places on a very limited budget type of income is very helpful to me. Thanks again.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:03 AM

10,364 posts, read 9,391,362 times
Since I started this topic back in 2007, thought I'd chime in with an update. I am now retired and thankfully am doing ok financially; however, I'm on numerous "wait lists" around the country to rent an apartment for independent seniors that's affordable. Some of the complexes are 'tax credit', some are not.

Wait lists may vary from 2 years up to 10 years, and the difficultly in my case is I'm on an annual lease and can't break the lease without a large penalty, and/or paying off the rest of the lease. Some complexes will call with an available apartment and if I can't move at that time they'll leave me at the top of the list; whereas other complexes have moved my name to the bottom on the list if I couldn't move right away.

Some wait lists have nearly 150 people waiting, so being patient may at times be the only recourse.

Sure, I'd love the perfect weather situation; but affordability is at the top of the list; plus safety; having insurance that's affordable; and medical resources nearby. And to live in a State that does not tax social security benefits.

I continue to check with the complexes, and continue searching for other options; something will break, of that I'm confident.

It's good to read what others are finding out and how it's working out for them.

Old 10-01-2014, 11:18 AM

30,687 posts, read 49,476,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Llep View Post
I was glad to see it pulled up from the catacombs. I read through all 20+ pages this morning and one of the things that jumped out at me (again) is how wonderful Submariner describes Maine as a retirement spot. It is usually never on my radar but after reading Submariner's posts I always wonder if Maine could contain my "El Dorado".
This is a fairly old thread. Seems like a long time ago, ...

I no longer own the apartments in Ct.

My insurance enrollment fee went down, then up again. My co-pay went down. I am currently dealing with cancer, and interestingly we have not been billed for any office visit co-pays, lab fees, or anything. I have surgery soon, so I am interested to see if I get charged a co-pay for that.

We have progressively gotten a lot more snow, than we had during our first couple years living in Maine. Back then a pushbroom was all we needed. The last few years, we get one snow storm per week. 3 to 5 inches at a time, is pretty normal. Followed by 6 days of clear sunny skies. Then once or twice somewhere in the winter, we get a 'heavy' dump of snow, like around a foot to maybe 14 inches. We bought a snow-blower that goes on the front of our tractor. That makes a huge difference. After 7 years living here, I shoveled snow four times total. Now I just drive our tractor around. I think it is fun.

I have became an organic farmer. I market fresh veggies, maple, honey, eggs, herbs via a Farmer's Market.

Our home overlooks the river. It is handy to take kayaks out all summer long and play on the water.

Hunting, fishing, trapping are all very popular activities here. Along with sledding, boating, hiking, all sorts of outdoor activities.

I would not recommend Maine much for folks who do not like the outdoors. If you need night life, theater, concerts, and shopping malls; then you may not enjoy it here as much.

Maine's population is aging, as retirees migrate here more and more.

Old 10-01-2014, 12:06 PM

177 posts, read 194,373 times
I do like your descriptions of Maine. I tend to be "hermit-ty". A small place on a river with a few acres sounds wonderful. I need to definitely check it out. I travel for work and have some flexibility. I have an open week (11/3) and could visit some NH and VT accounts and then stay over a long weekend checking the area out. After I firm that up I may solicit you for info on general areas to look at.

Good luck on your surgery.

Old 10-03-2014, 12:48 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,751,136 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
.....Sure, I'd love the perfect weather situation; but affordability is at the top of the list; plus safety; having insurance that's affordable; and medical resources nearby. And to live in a State that does not tax social security benefits.
At least you're in luck with regard to the bolded (state taxation of Soc. Sec. benefits), because only a small handful of states tax them (something like five or eight, can't remember). Even California, a high-tax state, does not tax SS benefits.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:02 PM

16,042 posts, read 18,988,950 times
Quote:
You need to come visit Maine between November and February. Stay at least a week and engage a realtor to see property or rentals in your price range. For those who have not already lived a long time in Maine, it can be both a culture shock and a climate shock. I am in Mass. still pondering Maine, but the climate is similar so not a big adjustment. You also have to factor in home heating, whether you buy or rent (heat etc is figured into the rent). Maine has many pluses, and like other states, drawbacks. You may find the pluses outweigh.

Old 10-03-2014, 05:21 PM

30,687 posts, read 49,476,475 times
Quote:
I do like your descriptions of Maine. I tend to be "hermit-ty". A small place on a river with a few acres sounds wonderful. I need to definitely check it out. I travel for work and have some flexibility. I have an open week (11/3) and could visit some NH and VT accounts and then stay over a long weekend checking the area out. After I firm that up I may solicit you for info on general areas to look at.
Like anywhere else, if you visit in winter, there is a chance you might be here during a snow storm. Otherwise anytime is good. Right now we are in the middle of the fall colors.

By the time you get here, there might be ski slopes open.

Quote:
... Good luck on your surgery.
Thank you.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or