U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-03-2014, 05:38 PM

14,018 posts, read 17,740,386 times

Advertisements

Submariner has found a wonderful fit for himself - he likes rural living and is a farmer who sells his produce and his eggs. But being a farmer, even on a relatively small scale, is a lot of work. One cannot just ignore one's chickens for a few days if one is not feeling well or wants to go on a trip. Granted, he likes that work, which is why I called it a wonderful fit.

However, the OP may be at an age where that amount of physical work is no longer in the realm of the possible. Of course she can still live rurally without the farming or the chickens, as rural living (if the conditions are right) may be low cost compared to urban living.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-31-2014, 12:34 PM

4,975 posts, read 3,460,586 times
I started reading this last night and was tired so didn't notice the date. I'm glad it's been revived also. Really made me think.

I was recently declared disabled and unable to work due to a back injury. I have difficultly walking & the judge saw that. I'm also 61 and would receive social security in a year anyway. At first I thought of moving to a warmer climate but the description of Maine intrigued me also. So, since I was willing to live in the cold, why not check into HUD apartments here? My brother and sister have been helping me since my back became a problem and they really want me to stay close to family. I checked online & there are a few HUD buildings in town. This would keep me close to my doctors and I do think Minnesota has good health care. The manager is sending me an application and we'll see what happens. I could always move to a warmer climate later if I want to.

I'm glad the op started this thread. It has been very helpful for a lot of people, I think. I hope she finds her dream space.

Old 11-01-2014, 10:28 PM

5,802 posts, read 5,464,308 times
There are plenty of suggestions regarding retirement, taxes, COL and all the rest at Personal Finance News, Investing Advice, Business Forecasts-Kiplinger

Old 11-03-2014, 03:40 PM

21,867 posts, read 14,383,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by normie View Post
Oh man... you are on a difficult road. My first suggestion would be to move close to a family member who might be able to help you out in case of an emergency. If that's not a possibility, I would start researching which state has the best socialized programs. You will definitely need welfare. Beyond that, Arkansas has ice storms but the winters are relatively mild. The cost of living is very low there, but it's also hard to find work. Mississippi might bean option, too. Good luck.
Yes. You need to be close to a family member who cares about you. Unfortunately, the states with the best economies and social safety nets are often the states with the higher costs of living.

Wherever you end up, smaller towns are probably better than cities for a lower cost of living. The Midwest is probably better than either coast. But for jobs? A lot depends on what you are qualified to do, I think.

Old 11-08-2014, 08:34 AM

986 posts, read 1,178,992 times
When I decided to retire early at age 49. We couldn't afford to live in California with my initial small pension! So, we got rid of everything we owned and moved overseas with a low cost of living where we did not have to ever work again!
18 yrs later and now 66 yrs old, we're still enjoying our retirement lifestyle overseas! It's not for everyone, but it worked for us!
We never had to rely on any of our family members and or other close relatives! We prefer our solitude and a quiet lifestyle, which we have for the past 18 yrs here overseas ever since I retired and our wonderful retirement lifestyle still continues!

Old 11-09-2014, 04:38 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,592 posts, read 39,962,822 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Art2ro View Post
When I decided to retire early at age 49. We couldn't afford to live in California with my initial small pension! So, we got rid of everything we owned and moved overseas with a low cost of living where we did not have to ever work again! ...still enjoying our retirement lifestyle overseas! It's not for everyone, but it worked for us! ...our wonderful retirement lifestyle still continues!
What do local Filipinos spend on food for a meal out? Seems pretty high for the tourist crowd places (~50 pesos+).. There must be local prices more in line with the economy.

What islands are better for ex pat retirees that want in integrate into local culture, yet still have occasional place to shop and get medical.?

Is it possible to find a farmer that would let me build a guest house for him to use / rent out the 6+ months / yr I will be gone? (It is not reasonable for me to buy, as I don't need 'an additional' spouse at the moment.)

Old 11-09-2014, 05:35 AM

986 posts, read 1,178,992 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by StealthRabbit View Post
What do local Filipinos spend on food for a meal out? Seems pretty high for the tourist crowd places (~50 pesos+).. There must be local prices more in line with the economy.

What islands are better for ex pat retirees that want in integrate into local culture, yet still have occasional place to shop and get medical.?

Is it possible to find a farmer that would let me build a guest house for him to use / rent out the 6+ months / yr I will be gone? (It is not reasonable for me to buy, as I don't need 'an additional' spouse at the moment.)
All your answers to your questions you can find here:
Moderator cut: link removed, linking to competitor sites is not allowed

https://www.google.com.ph/webhp?sour...%20philippines

https://www.google.com/search?q=cost...he+philippines

Last edited by Yac; 11-20-2014 at 06:46 AM..

Old 11-09-2014, 07:08 AM

Location: We_tside PNW (Columbia Gorge) / CO / SA TX / Thailand
22,592 posts, read 39,962,822 times
Yikes--- CoL As expensive as I found! (food) guess I was spoiled in Thailand for last 8 months) Great food / very low cost. Good thing I don't want to buy property. Renting looks to be much cheaper (Now to find that farmer where I can build a guest house).

Best places to Live... usually lists ex-pat places - I am not too happy around expats (whiners)
6 Best Places to Live in The Philippines - Expat Exchange

I'll keep digging. Maybe join a National Agriculture group.

Last edited by StealthRabbit; 11-09-2014 at 07:20 AM..

Old 11-26-2014, 12:57 AM

142 posts, read 175,161 times
All of the Del Webb communities that we have checked out are much more expensive then you suggest. 99% of their homes or condos are over $350k and the hoa fees are over $400/mo in most cases.

Old 12-04-2014, 05:58 PM

26 posts, read 32,182 times
Georgia. Low taxes, good apartment rates, mild weather. You might even be able to find a house. Anywhere in meteo atlanta. Not in the city of atlanta but in the communities surrounding. Lawrenceville, smyrna, mableton, and lots of other towns. I cant thing of all of the towns i researched but check college towns. Most have many types of housing. Goergia is quite friendly to retirees.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
Follow City-Data.com founder on our Forum or