Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-21-2007, 08:11 AM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times

Advertisements

I drove past the one trailer park in my town. It's lovely, well-kept and not walkable to anything at all (being on the industrial edge of this formerly rural town) unless you want to walk to the quarry or the interstate. The Council on Aging does run some van things to supermarket and hospital (and maybe into in-town hospitals- not sure- we're 10 miles from Emerson Hosp. in Concord, MA, and about 30 mi. to Mass. General and all the in-town big guns.)
There is no trash pickup in this town- you have to drive your stuff to the trash/recycle station. Annual fee is $250 now, down to $75 if over 60.
I might be in a position in late old age to buy into one of those expensive places. Right now, my house is utterly managable. I don't do my own lawn or house stuff now- just don't like it- hire people. My house is 1200 sq.ft, new in 2001. I had a first-floor bed and master bath, thinking to the future, nothing important on the second floor guest loft.

I worry a lot, maybe because I am quite alone in the world, no one has my back, and I see getting older as getting more vulnerable. That's just me, but I worry for all of us.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-21-2007, 09:48 AM

11,558 posts, read 12,054,189 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brightdoglover View Post
I drove past the one trailer park in my town. It's lovely, well-kept and not walkable to anything at all (being on the industrial edge of this formerly rural town) unless you want to walk to the quarry or the interstate. The Council on Aging does run some van things to supermarket and hospital (and maybe into in-town hospitals- not sure- we're 10 miles from Emerson Hosp. in Concord, MA, and about 30 mi. to Mass. General and all the in-town big guns.)
There is no trash pickup in this town- you have to drive your stuff to the trash/recycle station. Annual fee is $250 now, down to $75 if over 60.
I might be in a position in late old age to buy into one of those expensive places. Right now, my house is utterly managable. I don't do my own lawn or house stuff now- just don't like it- hire people. My house is 1200 sq.ft, new in 2001. I had a first-floor bed and master bath, thinking to the future, nothing important on the second floor guest loft.

I worry a lot, maybe because I am quite alone in the world, no one has my back, and I see getting older as getting more vulnerable. That's just me, but I worry for all of us.

Thank you for your concern! And it is definitely warranted! I too am on my own and I have concerns as well, for me and for all of us!

Old 10-21-2007, 11:13 AM

392 posts, read 1,858,973 times
As a couple of people have mentioned if you can move yourself into an area where you can get by without a car it will be a great savings. Car expenses really add up. Also at some point most of us will not be able to drive which can trap you.
Not sure what sort of skills you have but how about some sort of apartment management? You can find complexes that need someone to live onsite and handle tenant affairs. Sometimes you have to be able to do some repairs but not always. You can live rent free or cheaply with something like this.
My plan is to buy a 2 or 3 family home in an area that is easily walkable. I will be able to reach basic services (groceries, post office, doctor) and tenants will cover my basic living (expenses taxes, utilities, upkeep costs, etc.).

Old 10-23-2007, 03:54 PM

1,250 posts, read 3,605,757 times
My tip for a cheap place to retire is Jal, New Mexico ....housing is very in expensive ...very low taxes too (around $ 500 a year)....nice 9 hole golf course and you can golf all year ...January average daytime high 60 degrees ...and gets warmer fast ... 67 in February ...74 in March ...82 in April ....hot in summer (upper 90's) but not humid ...

Old 10-23-2007, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LRUA View Post
My tip for a cheap place to retire is Jal, New Mexico ....housing is very in expensive ...very low taxes too (around $ 500 a year)....nice 9 hole golf course and you can golf all year ...January average daytime high 60 degrees ...and gets warmer fast ... 67 in February ...74 in March ...82 in April ....hot in summer (upper 90's) but not humid ...
Thank you for the info! I looked at Jal on CityData and found that the closest hospitals are 20-40 miles away; is that correct?

Old 10-25-2007, 02:05 PM

70 posts, read 288,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by katie45 View Post
Thank you for the info! I looked at Jal on CityData and found that the closest hospitals are 20-40 miles away; is that correct?
katie45, Wife and I just bought in Alamogordo,NM. We to were looking for inexpensive and if possible quality of life. Our place is a 3/2 adobe style house,purchased for under 80,000 with prop taxes around 500.00 annual and prop. Ins. for 265.00 annual. I know different strokes for different folks but we really like the lifestyle and climate of southern NM. And if you don't mind living in a mobile home park,we found one listed on a local realtors site for 36,000 that looked really nice and cared for and a lot rent of 110.00 per month. You could always move it if you bought a lot/land in the area. In regards to services, believe the city has a bus system and I know that they have a very nice senior center with meals to eat in or delivered to members that can't get out and at a very reasonable cost. I'm afraid that we have to take things like the senior ctr. into consideration as we also have only ourselves to look out for each other. As my wife says, Damn! we got old quick.

Old 10-25-2007, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikereznm View Post
katie45, Wife and I just bought in Alamogordo,NM. We to were looking for inexpensive and if possible quality of life. Our place is a 3/2 adobe style house,purchased for under 80,000 with prop taxes around 500.00 annual and prop. Ins. for 265.00 annual. I know different strokes for different folks but we really like the lifestyle and climate of southern NM. And if you don't mind living in a mobile home park,we found one listed on a local realtors site for 36,000 that looked really nice and cared for and a lot rent of 110.00 per month.
Thank you for the info! I will check it out!

Old 10-26-2007, 01:46 PM

18,725 posts, read 33,390,141 times
When I wrote about retiring in a place where you can be car-free, I was thinking more about becoming *unable* to drive, not only saving money by not having a car.
I'm 54. Do I worry too much?

Old 11-10-2007, 12:11 PM

27,798 posts, read 32,435,463 times
Look into Sun City Center, FL south of Tampa. Nice community for retirees over 55 yrs of age. Housing for all levels of income (small one bedroom villas/condos to larger mansions). The support for the elderly is fantastic there.

Old 11-11-2007, 06:44 AM

15,402 posts, read 28,948,929 times
Brightdoglover, I think you're being smart to realize that you want to plan for your life after you can no longer drive. It seems like more and more people live for at least a decade after their drivers licenses are taken away.

I've now watched two generations of my family (and my husband's family) struggle with these issues and have become convinced that retirement villages are the way to go. They really do make life easier for the elderly, there's plenty of social activities, and plenty of friends nearby.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement