Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-18-2013, 03:38 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post

Still, the overwhelming majority of retirees don't move when they retire. Their kids, social networks, doctors, familiarities, friends, are all where they were. So, in a bad economy, instead of 1 out of 50 retirees packing up and moving somewhere, it's probably more like 1 out of 60.
Interesting--might be more true in different parts of the country than in others.

Where I live it's quite common for retirees to move--I'd estimate maybe 1/3 of the people I've met at our local senior center and my church have moved or plan to. Most move to less expensive towns; some move here to be with family members (or sometimes, to come home to VA). But then again I live in a pricey area, and selling the house/moving to a less expensive area is an important piece of financing retirement for many people here. I love it here, but moving has always been part of the plan.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-18-2013, 06:41 AM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
Texans don't have much problem where they retire because of the economy. Low cost living is available all over the state. However, we considered moving back to Wis. for various reasons. Unfortunately, we had to drop that plan. Their economy is kinda flat. My handicapped son will want a job and we will want to work part time. So we dropped any plans to return north. But that's OK. We like Texas OK, but we'll leave here to find a little nicer spot without sandstorms, and some jobs. So to answer the OP's question, yes the economy certainly can alter retirement plans.

Old 06-18-2013, 07:57 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Charles View Post
Another thing is, in a poor economy, their kids might have less mobility than in a good economy. If the kids don't move away, there's less incentive for retired mom and dad to move away. Be near the kids and the grand kids.

Still, the overwhelming majority of retirees don't move when they retire. Their kids, social networks, doctors, familiarities, friends, are all where they were. So, in a bad economy, instead of 1 out of 50 retirees packing up and moving somewhere, it's probably more like 1 out of 60.
Guess that puts us in the minority. We considered and pondered long and hard on all those elements you mentioned and ultimately, spending our retirement years someplace we really wanted to live won out. Of our combined five daughters (Oh, the drama!) who still live from whence we came and likely always will, four we're very upset with us for leaving while the remaining one couldn't care less. We were not dissuaded in the slightest.

In terms of the rest, having both been military brats and, for me, being in the service myself while my wife's first husband was also military, we were well used to pulling up roots, relocating and establishing new support networks. Doing so has always come easy to us. However, I can easily see how daunting that could be to many.

Old 06-18-2013, 11:39 AM

3,477 posts, read 6,510,983 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Oh, it's decidedly worthy of consideration if you don't mind bad air, nanny government, high taxes and COL, "For English press 1," etc.
Most of that's hyperbole. You know the part of California I live in and you know the cost of living isn't significantly higher (if at all) than the national average. This isn't the Bay Area. I could see all the way to the Coast Range from the top of Oroville Dam yesterday and as far as "nanny govt." goes I can do anything I might *want* to do without being impeded by that. Also, that chicken farming area that you live in has had as explosion of Hispanic growth in the last twenty years. I'd wager your as likely in many communities of Southern Missouri and Northwestern Arkansas to hear Spanish as in far Northern California.

Live where you like while you can, but when my dad got cancer 20 years ago (at age 67) I was able to help him and mom during his hospice period. She's 86 now and with her arthritis there's no way she could manage alone (she's living in my home). I know we've touched on this before, but if your daughters are in CA and you're 1700 miles away, I'd wager that eventually circumstances will pull you back (and I only wish you guys the best where you are).

Old 06-18-2013, 11:58 AM

48,502 posts, read 96,848,488 times
Many are staying in place basic based on the housing market and its effects on selling their home .Of course this is much less a problem for the than those who have homes and need to move to work.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:09 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,832,045 times
On second thought .... If retirees are "staying in place", then the dynamics of their villages will likely also 'stay in place'. Things would only change dramatically if these retirees started moving 'en mass' to other villages.

Old 06-18-2013, 12:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
On second thought .... If retirees are "staying in place", then the dynamics of their villages will likely also 'stay in place'. Things would only change dramatically if these retirees started moving 'en mass' to other villages.
Not really, because the dynamics change as populations age.

Old 06-18-2013, 04:17 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
Most of that's hyperbole. You know the part of California I live in and you know the cost of living isn't significantly higher (if at all) than the national average. This isn't the Bay Area. I could see all the way to the Coast Range from the top of Oroville Dam yesterday and as far as "nanny govt." goes I can do anything I might *want* to do without being impeded by that. Also, that chicken farming area that you live in has had as explosion of Hispanic growth in the last twenty years. I'd wager your as likely in many communities of Southern Missouri and Northwestern Arkansas to hear Spanish as in far Northern California.

Live where you like while you can, but when my dad got cancer 20 years ago (at age 67) I was able to help him and mom during his hospice period. She's 86 now and with her arthritis there's no way she could manage alone (she's living in my home). I know we've touched on this before, but if your daughters are in CA and you're 1700 miles away, I'd wager that eventually circumstances will pull you back (and I only wish you guys the best where you are).
Oroville, Paradise, Chico and points north (skipping Redding - too damn hot) are, and I should have differentiated, exceptions to my comment; all but the nanny government which doesn't necessarily impede but costs everyone. Remember, I spent 20 years, as did my wife, working in state politics and legislation and try as we might, we couldn't kill all the nanny bills no matter how hard we tried.

There has been some Hispanic growth (where isn't there) but thankfully, it centers mostly around chicken farms (Thank you, Tyson) and most of those are in NW AR, not SW MO where we are. In fact, I rarely hear Spanish being spoken.

As for the rest, my daughters are welcome to move here (not in our home though) but I'm not going back there Thankfully there are enough community medical and social supports here that it should never be necessary and even if there weren't I wouldn't return, stubborn devil that I am. If nothing else, five daughters, most with children = too much drama.

Everything else aside, your support of your parents is commendable. Mine both died relatively young well over 20 years ago - my mother at 67 (which I'll be in less than two months) of pancreatic cancer - my father because he willed himself to a bit over a year later at 71. You also live in a beautiful place and I'm so glad you're happy there. Everyone should be so lucky!

Pardon my hyperbole.

Old 06-18-2013, 05:32 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BeauCharles View Post
The Bay Area is like Norva - lots of quite well to do educated folks (especially there in Marin where you were). My part of NorCal gets the more average retiree of modest means.
I was curious about your city in CA and, looking it up, glad to see an impressive amount of culture there. The ashtray museum sure looks hot!

Are the retirees there aging in place, or moving there?

Old 06-18-2013, 06:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
The ashtray museum sure looks hot!
It's smokin'!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement