U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Search Forums  (Advanced)
Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 
View Poll Results: I'm no longer young, and I prefer to be called...
Alive/Breathing 1 3.57%
Wise ___ /Charming/Venerable/Angel/No Fool/Golden Ager 0 0%
Dinosaur/Ancient/Old Fart/Old Buzzard/Old Hen/Geriatric/Older than Dirt/Don't give a **** no more 3 10.71%
Elder 5 17.86%
55+ (65+, etc.) 4 14.29%
Geezer/Geezette 0 0%
Old/Older 2 7.14%
Oldster/Old-Timer 3 10.71%
Recycled Teenager/Dusty/Youth-Challenged 0 0%
Senior/Seasoned Citizen 3 10.71%
Twilighter 2 7.14%
Other 6 21.43%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 28. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread
 
Old 07-31-2012, 03:04 PM
 
Location: Europe
6,000 posts, read 5,064,723 times
Reputation: 9912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
True.... and when did "old" become a bad word, anyway?

I think I'll just start saying I'm old, and saying it with pride. Sort of like that attitude "We here, we're q****, get used to it" only in my case it would be "I'm old, and I'm bold! Get used to it!
I always use the word "old," and I also live in a country where in the local language that is the word that is used.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

 
Old 07-31-2012, 03:07 PM
 
Location: Europe
6,000 posts, read 5,064,723 times
Reputation: 9912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
I don't see how one wouldn't acquire wisdom along the way. It seems I learn something new all the time, and as the years flow...they add up...
Of course, "No fool like an old fool," so some of us evidently have a loose grip on our wisdom once in awhile.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2012, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Europe
6,000 posts, read 5,064,723 times
Reputation: 9912
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I'm a cute little geezer who drives a Prius....
Does that mean the proper term for me is Prius-toric?
Ouch
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2012, 03:10 PM
 
Location: Edina, MN
5,309 posts, read 3,652,274 times
Reputation: 11745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I'm a cute little geezer who drives a Prius....
Does that mean the proper term for me is Prius-toric?
Well, look who's on a roll today
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2012, 03:14 PM
 
Location: Virginia
18,717 posts, read 14,574,529 times
Reputation: 42318
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post
Well, look who's on a roll today
You betcha and I'm even avoiding my little poem about being called "old" even though that rhymes with "mold" because the better rhyme is "gold." For now, anyway.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2012, 06:17 PM
 
Location: Sunshine N'Blue Skies
13,313 posts, read 13,374,530 times
Reputation: 11458
Gosh, I'm not trying to be puffed up at all. I just think I am always learning something constantly. Either in words, or books, in conversations, or in general. Life is a learning process...thus, gaining wisdom.

My friends don't like the word "old" at all. In fact my birthday cake the other day had a question mark for the total of years.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2012, 06:38 PM
 
Location: Edina, MN
5,309 posts, read 3,652,274 times
Reputation: 11745
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Gosh, I'm not trying to be puffed up at all. I just think I am always learning something constantly. Either in words, or books, in conversations, or in general. Life is a learning process...thus, gaining wisdom.

My friends don't like the word "old" at all. In fact my birthday cake the other day had a question mark for the total of years.
I hear "old" and think used up, given up, no future, candidate for "the waiting room". Life is short - live it up - save "old" for cars, clothes (this old thing) etc...

It really is an insulting remark - not much different than saying "you're ugly". I feel another senior moment coming on~~~~
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2012, 06:57 PM
 
Location: Sunshine N'Blue Skies
13,313 posts, read 13,374,530 times
Reputation: 11458
Thank you Umbria. I felt a bit in the minority here for awhile......

Many of my friends would agree. Old car, old clothes, old appliances, old house, old, old, old...

It just doesn't fit for people I love, who to me will never be "old."
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2012, 07:04 PM
 
Location: Next stop Antarctica
1,665 posts, read 1,165,550 times
Reputation: 1701
"Geezer" is a London cockney word they usually say "old geezer".Elder is a good word has a ring of respect about it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
 
Old 07-31-2012, 09:10 PM
 
Location: Los Angeles area
8,853 posts, read 6,479,670 times
Reputation: 15265
Quote:
Originally Posted by Summering View Post
Gosh, I'm not trying to be puffed up at all. I just think I am always learning something constantly. Either in words, or books, in conversations, or in general. Life is a learning process...thus, gaining wisdom.

My friends don't like the word "old" at all. In fact my birthday cake the other day had a question mark for the total of years.
I respect your point of view and have no reason to doubt that you personally are gaining wisdom with age. Also, I accept that you were not trying to be "puffed up". But it finally occurred to me what word I was subconsciously groping for in my previous posts in this thread, and that word is pretentious. I am not saying that you are pretentious personally - rather, that is just my own personal reaction to people who would want to be referred to as "wise ones". I view the adjective "old" as a neutral word, that is, as neither good nor bad, but just an objective recognition of a factual situation. One of my two cars is now 20 years old and I refer to it as my old car because not very many people keep a car that long. If someone is 80 years old, that person is indeed an old person because living much longer than that is statistically somewhat unusual. It is not a condemnation.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.


Reply
Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Message:

Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 12:10 PM.

2005-2014, Advameg, Inc.

City-Data.com - Archive 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 17, 18, 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25 - Top