U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 08-02-2012, 08:03 AM

12,396 posts, read 8,649,374 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by anifani821 View Post
I have been working on gathering up high school classmates (whether we were actually close friends or not) for the last five years, through Facebook. Our class was odd . . . we were scattered to the wind. Folks went off to college and never came back home, or went into service (Viet Nam) and then on to college, often taking jobs out of state. Only a small percent of folks I graduated with from high school stayed in the area.

It has been delightful reconnecting with everyone. Most of us have not seen one another since graduation or within several years afterward. We have all shared names with each other so we have a nice cadre of folks grouped on FB now . . . and it has been great fun sharing info, catching up, finding out where everyone has been.

I have met up with some of my friends and it was very pleasant. No one has been that interested in reminiscing about classroom days . . . we are more apt to share info about our families, careers, travel, etc. There are commonalities, tho, that seem to still be very present as knowing each other as children gives us all insight into who we have become. After all, we knew where we each grew up and what influenced us as a group.

Where there might have been competition in our 20s and 30s, meeting up now seems to be very relaxed. We are who we are -- no expectations of what we each are going to become someday in the future. What you see is what you get, lol. No reason for pretense . . . and that is perhaps the most refreshing aspect of getting to know each other at this stage of our lives. It is more or less - filling in the blanks -- and no judgment involved. Our kids are grown, our careers are either over or coming to a close . . .

At this stage, we share recipes, travel info, photos of ourselves, our kids and grandkids, new hobbies, retirement info!

We are hoping to have a big get together at some point . . . and we are all hoping to keep finding others on FB to widen the circle.

I think it is a great idea to reconnect!
Inspiring....
Quick reply to this message

Old 08-02-2012, 08:31 AM

4,281 posts, read 5,242,157 times
I kept in touch with one fellow I was close friends with thru primary to HS with (Steve). I left the town when I was 18. Over the years when I was back, I would get together with Steve. 20 years later I moved back to the area and Steve and I started spending more time together. I also ran into another fellow I went to HS together named Ron. Ron and I knew each other in HS but were not as close as Steve and I were.

As time went on it became obvious that Steve and I run in different circles whereas Ron and I run in similar circles. Ron and I became closer then Steve and I were. Steve was upset by this and slowly Steve and I stopped seeing each other. This after almost 45 years of being friends.

Point is that friends might well change no matter their earlier bonds.

I just realized this applies to my first wife......LOL

Old 08-02-2012, 10:21 AM

21,881 posts, read 28,716,100 times
The only reunion I attended was our 25th. I went to it right after I got my pension.

From a class of 700+ we had around 50 who attended. A friend who I had stayed in contact with came with me, otherwise I re-connected with one other person that I knew [a girl I had briefly dated].

This year is our 35th. About a year ago a Facebook page was made for my highschool class. It has 189 members. There are posts daily on it. Looking at yearbook photos I vaguely recognize maybe 10 of them. They are doing a reunion this year, I will not be attending.

On the other hand, I have maintained contact with one friend and through him I have sort of re-connected with one other.

From my own searching I have re-connected with two girls that I dated, and in both cases we enjoyed long conversations [phone, email, and facebook] for about a year of catching up. And then we have drifted apart again.

Old 08-02-2012, 11:38 AM

713 posts, read 390,569 times
After many years, I reconnected with four highschool friends, two who were also friends from college. We had found each other after hearing of the death at 51 of another dear old highschool friend. We sporadically kept in touch by email. When our 40th. high school reunion came around, we rented a condo at the beach together, and spent 4 days, just us "girls." It was like no time had passed.

Several years ago, when one of us married, we all attended with our husbands, and were the "honored guests." We spent a week partying, and sightseeing.

We now try to get together at least once a year. All but one live in distant states, one is about a 4 hour drive from me (we get together as often as possible.) This Fall we will meet in Philly for a "sister week of fun."

We keep in regular contact and are supportive of each other, we will continue to be so in retirement-I am sure.

Go for it, what do you have to lose?

Old 08-02-2012, 03:55 PM

12,396 posts, read 8,649,374 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by funisart View Post
After many years, I reconnected with four highschool friends, two who were also friends from college. We had found each other after hearing of the death at 51 of another dear old highschool friend. We sporadically kept in touch by email. When our 40th. high school reunion came around, we rented a condo at the beach together, and spent 4 days, just us "girls." It was like no time had passed.

Several years ago, when one of us married, we all attended with our husbands, and were the "honored guests." We spent a week partying, and sightseeing.

We now try to get together at least once a year. All but one live in distant states, one is about a 4 hour drive from me (we get together as often as possible.) This Fall we will meet in Philly for a "sister week of fun."

We keep in regular contact and are supportive of each other, we will continue to be so in retirement-I am sure.

Go for it, what do you have to lose?
Sounds like you had a lot of fun! And you're right, I have nothing to lose, just didn't want to be reminded of my upbringing years. But that's all water over the dam now, anyway, lol.

Old 08-02-2012, 08:20 PM

4,281 posts, read 5,242,157 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Submariner View Post
The only reunion I attended was our 25th. I went to it right after I got my pension.

From a class of 700+ we had around 50 who attended. A friend who I had stayed in contact with came with me, otherwise I re-connected with one other person that I knew [a girl I had briefly dated].

This year is our 35th. About a year ago a Facebook page was made for my highschool class. It has 189 members. There are posts daily on it. Looking at yearbook photos I vaguely recognize maybe 10 of them. They are doing a reunion this year, I will not be attending.

On the other hand, I have maintained contact with one friend and through him I have sort of re-connected with one other.

From my own searching I have re-connected with two girls that I dated, and in both cases we enjoyed long conversations [phone, email, and facebook] for about a year of catching up. And then we have drifted apart again.

Submariner.

If she can airless start me, she gets my Dolphins. You understand....LOL

Old 08-02-2012, 09:22 PM

43,264 posts, read 47,151,929 times
I have meeet mnay hi8gh school forends not seen in years over the last deacde. Its a enjoyebale experience:IMO. This reminds me of my sister who just last week went to a class reunion which they norally have every ten eyars but now have every two years. the class was 1947 and they decide to meet more often since the are i their 80's nw. They actaully have people who come fromout of state to attend still. I guess if your memories are not good then that might influence a perosn but mine have always been good memories. each has to decide for themselves.

Old 08-02-2012, 09:36 PM

14,404 posts, read 12,294,554 times
It's nearly always a great experience to get with old friends from HS -- physically, at reunions and on trips, or via social media.

I am especially grateful for the opportunity to spend time with friends who never left the immediate area of my small home town in rural New Jersey. Having lived in a variety of places (and continents), and now thinking of myself as a Westerner (eastern Washington / north Idaho / Southern BC), I sometimes wonder who made the best decision (or was luckier!) -- those who put down roots and kept to them, or we wandering spirits who spent our lives seeking....something.

One thing sticks out in my mind, though -- there are a whole lot of people I barely knew in HS who have become some of the most interesting adults/seniors. I only hope some of them feel the same way about me!

Old 08-03-2012, 12:29 AM

197 posts, read 94,022 times
Nope, never had the desire to. I had absolutely nothing in common with the people that I went to high school with. But I did play the game so to speak. I don't think any of them realized just how much contempt I had for them. In spite of that I did have a good time. Fortunately, immediately after I graduated my parents moved several hundred miles away so I never had any reason to go back. College, the Army, several moves around the country, people I met over the years ... all meant more to me than high school.

Old 08-03-2012, 08:30 AM

9,332 posts, read 7,296,793 times
For sure, it is a damn weird feeling to meet up with someone we haven't seen in a very long time. I recently attended my 50th high school reunion. I went to a large high school, left after graduation, and had only a small number of good friends (having attended K-8th grade in another part of the country). I had not attended any previous high school reunions, and only knew one person there, but it was a person that I had been friends with, especially in 9th and 10th grades. I hadn't seen him in 50 years (no other contact either); this kid that I hung out with is now a Ph.D. (engineering). It was just very weird, but in a good sense. I enjoyed it a lot - there is nothing more interesting in life than other people.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement