Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-10-2012, 12:08 AM

190 posts, read 498,104 times

Advertisements

Wow ... it's amazing how many of you have expressed the same not-so-great feelings I have about seeing high school classmates. The confirmation is a relief.

Last year I reconnected with 3 high school friends {class of '68}. We went to lunch and I was very excited. The reunion was nice to a point but then I began to realize there was a void that existed after the "do you remember so and so" chatter burned out. The truth of this old saying hit me like a bolt of lightening: you cannot go home again.

I really do love the memories of my early life and deeply appreciate the friends of my youth. We sure did have a blast. However trying to revive the past with virtual strangers is a sad thing. Definitely not the comfortable sentimental journey I was expecting.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-10-2012, 05:12 AM

37,794 posts, read 40,990,020 times
The last time I saw anyone from high school was in 1979 at our 10 year reuninion and the people I hung around with in high school didn't go. Since then, I have moved twice to different states. I read about a bad criminal once, not too long ago, that I suspected was the younger brother of one of my high school friends but even though I did some research on him, could not determine if it was the same kid.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:35 AM

15,637 posts, read 26,242,236 times
I sort of feel the same as some of you -- I didn't like them in high school, I won't like them any better now. I did get a call from my old college who wanted money. They tried that old line don't ever come back to visit old friends? I said the only person I wanted to keep in touch with after college? I married him .... and I still see him every blessed day.

Old 08-10-2012, 10:57 AM

41,479 posts, read 59,756,720 times
The problem I would have with a reuniting with HS friends is the girls would be as old as me. I want to keep remembering them as they were. Most of the guys are probably dead. a lot of them came back from 'nam in a bag.

Old 08-10-2012, 04:37 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rapturegal View Post
Wow ... it's amazing how many of you have expressed the same not-so-great feelings I have about seeing high school classmates. The confirmation is a relief.

Last year I reconnected with 3 high school friends {class of '68}. We went to lunch and I was very excited. The reunion was nice to a point but then I began to realize there was a void that existed after the "do you remember so and so" chatter burned out. The truth of this old saying hit me like a bolt of lightening: you cannot go home again.

I really do love the memories of my early life and deeply appreciate the friends of my youth. We sure did have a blast. However trying to revive the past with virtual strangers is a sad thing. Definitely not the comfortable sentimental journey I was expecting.
One of my best friends in the town I just moved to has lived here all her life, she left only briefly to go to college. She knows her high school friends who still live here. It is an amazement to me that she has never lived anywhere else. I wonder if I would have liked/could have stood that. My horizons were opened in living in several places. But I can see how the "townies" are still close and connected, and treat outsiders with a bit of skepticism.

Old 08-10-2012, 05:44 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,505,439 times
What about re-uniting with your teachers?

Old 08-10-2012, 10:40 PM

10,113 posts, read 19,394,180 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
What about re-uniting with your teachers?

They would either be dead or not know the difference!

And they wouldn't remember you, anyways.I dropped in on my old high school a few years after graduating, nobody remembered me. If they forget in a year or two, what would they remember from 50 years ago? Look, you've said goodbye, signed yearbooks, taken photos, etc. They are now gone, get over it!

Old 08-11-2012, 01:59 AM

407 posts, read 1,558,462 times
It's funny that someone should bring up teachers... one of my favorites I kept in touch with for several years and finally lost touch. When I made it back to the hometown, I'd stop in the high school to say hello. Another, however, is one of my best friends to this day - more than 30 years later - no matter the miles or the years.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:02 PM

4,338 posts, read 7,505,439 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MaryleeII View Post
They would either be dead or not know the difference!

And they wouldn't remember you, anyways.I dropped in on my old high school a few years after graduating, nobody remembered me. If they forget in a year or two, what would they remember from 50 years ago? Look, you've said goodbye, signed yearbooks, taken photos, etc. They are now gone, get over it!
I still have my junior high and high school year books. All of them remember me still. Thanks to Facebook.

Old 08-12-2012, 05:37 PM

37,443 posts, read 61,352,754 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Info Guy View Post
I still have my junior high and high school year books. All of them remember me still. Thanks to Facebook.
I was not included in my Junior yearbook nor my Senior yearbook, our yearbook team was clicky. They decided who was 'cool' and who was not; and it showed in the yearbooks.

Our Senior yearbook has a four column list on the back page of students the team had refused to include photos of. Getting classmates together now on Facebook, I had no idea that we had so many classmates who were not included on list in the back. I am fortunate in that at least my name is listed. Though there are no photos of me.

In our highschool you needed to be pretty well liked to have your photo in our Senior yearbook.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement