Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-04-2012, 10:57 PM

14,725 posts, read 33,371,861 times

Advertisements

I'm not near retirement age, but as I get older, I both see people's ulterior motives and bull$hit more easily and am less apt to put up with it!
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-05-2012, 07:26 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertpolyglot View Post
I'm not near retirement age, but as I get older, I both see people's ulterior motives and bull$hit more easily and am less apt to put up with it!
I have to wonder if that's a function of aging and heightened awareness or simply a reaction to what I perceive to be a coarsening of society over the years. The older we become the more memories we have of earlier times with which we can compare.

Old 08-05-2012, 05:53 PM

2,364 posts, read 4,872,604 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
I have to wonder if that's a function of aging and heightened awareness or simply a reaction to what I perceive to be a coarsening of society over the years. The older we become the more memories we have of earlier times with which we can compare.
I have been watching this thread with much interest, and I think you have hit the nail on the head with this. My husband and I went out to eat for our 38th anniversary on Friday and ended up being seated next to family that while they just sat there (they were WAY past done with their meal) while their youngest screamed at the top of her lungs for probably 5 minutes, and the other 2 younger ones ran all around the place, yelling at each other. There was absolutely NO reason for these people to sit there and not remove their misbehaving children from the premises. Father got up and left and mother and kids still there for another 5 minutes. Not once did either parent try to quiet or calm any of the kids. We were getting prepared to tell the host that we would wait for a different table to become available when she finally got up and followed her yelling kids out of the place. This was a nice restaurant and NOT a fast food place! All I could think of was when parents actually taught their kids to behave when out, or at least they would be taken outside if they wouldn't behave.

Anyway, I am just becoming really tired of all the rudeness in every phase of life. I'm getting tired of having to contact customer service 4 or 5 times for something just because no one seems to care about taking care of a problem. I'm getting tired of rude drivers, rude shoppers, rude teenagers, rude and uncaring store workers, etc. etc. Getting tired of having to bite my tongue about things because, heaven forbid, we should actually hurt someone's feelings, even if they are acting like ignorant horse's behinds! And hey...........I live in the Carolinas where "southern hospitality" is supposed to be everywhere. Well, guess what......not so much. People blame it on the transplants, but frankly I have had people with southern accents be more rude that any New Yorker that I have encountered down here.

So.........I just shake my head, bite my tongue, walk away and come home and have a glass or 2 of wine.

Old 08-05-2012, 11:12 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,532,733 times
Quote:
I agree and relate, as would my parents, grandparents, great-grandparents, and untold generations before.

Old 08-06-2012, 08:59 AM

50,374 posts, read 63,977,343 times
I believe that our frontal lobes shrink as we get older. This is the part of the brain that filters what we say, resulting in older people saying what they really think.

I am 64 and I'm pretty much finished with things like Political Correctness, puting up with bad treatment of any kind, underwear or shoes that are not comfortable, etc.
However, at the same time, I do not sweat the small stuff much anymore.

Old 08-06-2012, 12:49 PM

41,958 posts, read 75,192,887 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
I prefer just plain cynical.
Shoot. I've been cynical since I was 12.

Old 08-07-2012, 04:08 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,198,807 times
Quote:
Hmmm. Good point.

Old 08-07-2012, 06:43 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gentlearts View Post

I am 64 and I'm pretty much finished with things like Political Correctness, puting up with bad treatment of any kind, underwear or shoes that are not comfortable, etc.
However, at the same time, I do not sweat the small stuff much anymore.
LOL this is so true. This weekend I had a few opportunities to unleash my inner curmudgeon. BS to the left of me, BS to the right of me, and I get so tired of pretending to be dumb and playing along. But I couldn't think of any clever lines, so my remarks wouldn't have been curmudgeonly just bitchy. Plus, I'm like gentlearts--the older I get the more I don't sweat the small stuff. Somebody else being full of BS is small stuff, and is it really worth wasting brain cells to think of a good curmudgeonly reply? So I took the easy route and just moved on to other topics.

One of these days, though.....

Old 08-07-2012, 08:17 AM

7,127 posts, read 12,667,756 times
Me, I'm a discretionary, non-aggressive curmudgeon. I've started absenting myself from social groups with opposite views (political/ecological/social). Though still quite social and enjoy wide-ranging discussions, I no longer want to be around people who have ugly in their hearts and are out for personal gain and money at all costs. When in the business world, I often had to stifle my heart and thoughts, but now I just retreat and seek out the company of kindred spirits. Keeps my BP within bounds this way.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:41 AM

1,072 posts, read 1,946,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LittleDolphin View Post
Me, I'm a discretionary, non-aggressive curmudgeon. I've started absenting myself from social groups with opposite views (political/ecological/social). Though still quite social and enjoy wide-ranging discussions, I no longer want to be around people who have ugly in their hearts and are out for personal gain and money at all costs. When in the business world, I often had to stifle my heart and thoughts, but now I just retreat and seek out the company of kindred spirits. Keeps my BP within bounds this way.
Had to learn the hard way TWICE that keeping my BP in check is one of the most important things I can do if I hope to be around a lot longer. And I am about as curmudgeonly as it gets.

Every day above ground is a good day!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement