Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-16-2012, 06:36 PM

48,502 posts, read 96,816,250 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
They can put one less lunar craft on mars and pay us all the dough we are entitled to. I paid into the system for a lifetime and regardless of anything else i have done or put in place on my own for retirement im entitled to the payment they agreed to.

as the commercial goes" ITS MY MONEY AND I WANT IT NOW"
But the reality is they may say"but you can't have it".I'd like that moneuy I losss when a company went bankrupt to but "I can't get it"under law even SS can be reduced under the law as wrtitten..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-16-2012, 06:54 PM

106,579 posts, read 108,713,667 times
As long as whatever is done is done equally to all who contributed i may not like it but it is what it is.

Its when folks who contributed and were successful financially that they single them out to be penalized that i have a gripe with.

Old 08-16-2012, 07:22 PM

11,181 posts, read 10,526,555 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
As long as whatever is done is done equally to all who contributed i may not like it but it is what it is.

Its when folks who contributed and were successful financially that they single them out to be penalized that i have a gripe with.
That's what my heart says and in theory I agree with you. Pragmatically I'm not sure we can avoid some sort of means test in the future, but I sure hope I'm wrong.

Old 08-16-2012, 09:03 PM

2,847 posts, read 2,515,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
Yeah we get it. You've been very successful. Maybe you can mentor some 70 year old's into turning their lives around, so they don't have to depend on that welfare check from the SSA every month.
your snide remarks are not really adding to the thread

Old 08-16-2012, 09:26 PM

5,089 posts, read 15,397,079 times
I live on Social Security but I really do not concern myself with the COLA. I do make more than most on Social Security but the COLA increases, a percentage more or a percentage less or nothing, does not mean much; it changes nothing in my situation as I do not live from one month to another. Sometimes in get sucked up by Part B medicare but I do not care.

I have been on Social Security for 17 years and it comes to me electronically, so I really do not pay much attention, other than if it was received, when I get around to checking.

I will never starve; I have a house; I have not debt; I have health care insurance. I can buy anything I want and desire because I want and desire less and less everyday--that make me a wealthy man.

At my stage in life and with my physical problems, I really get very tired with dealing with money. Some people like to check all their accounts and investments on a daily basis because now we have the internet. Sometimes I relish the days of the past when all was not so readily available. I need not know, everyday, what I have or what I will get. I care only to live without pain and a simple life.

Livecontent

Old 08-17-2012, 05:15 AM

231 posts, read 495,006 times
COLA QUESTION..for those of you that are really into this COLA thing. "If a person started at $1000 per month payment, what do you think that payment might be after ten years of COLA's? I realize it depends upon which ten year time block, but the answer might be helpful to understand the implications of COLA's. It seems to me whatever the answer happens to be, that the buying power of the new amount most likely is less than the monthly distribution ten years later, even though the intent is to be equal.

Old 08-17-2012, 06:46 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tbill View Post
COLA QUESTION..for those of you that are really into this COLA thing. "If a person started at $1000 per month payment, what do you think that payment might be after ten years of COLA's? I realize it depends upon which ten year time block, but the answer might be helpful to understand the implications of COLA's. It seems to me whatever the answer happens to be, that the buying power of the new amount most likely is less than the monthly distribution ten years later, even though the intent is to be equal.
In real spending power probably less. The intent is not to make your buying power the same from year to year but to provide a hedge against inflation. The basket used to measure the cost of living is

Latest Cost-of-Living Adjustment

Quote:
The Social Security Act specifies a formula for determining each COLA. According to the formula, COLAs are based on increases in the Consumer Price Index for Urban Wage Earners and Clerical Workers (CPI-W). CPI-Ws are calculated on a monthly basis by the Bureau of Labor Statistics.

A COLA effective for December of the current year is equal to the percentage increase (if any) in the average CPI-W for the third quarter of the current year over the average for the third quarter of the last year in which a COLA became effective. If there is an increase, it must be rounded to the nearest tenth of one percent. If there is no increase, or if the rounded increase is zero, there is no COLA.
Your basket of good and the basket of goods in the formula may be different and your region may be lower or higher than the national average. The goal is to be able to grow your own cost of living independent of SS. It may be a challenge but it is necessary especially when inflation returns.

Old 08-17-2012, 12:44 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
If the COLA was a stable 2%, which it isn't, at the end of 10 years the "award" would be $1,219 per month. That should give a general idea.

Old 08-17-2012, 03:47 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,007,241 times
Quote:
I can tell you over a 15 year period, my military pension, which uses the same COLA as SS, has increased 50%.

As for the benefit of COLA's. It depends on your personal lifestyle and where you live.

One trick is to live where the regional CPI is considerably less than the national CPI, upon which COLA's are based.

If you live where the CPI exceeds the national average by a sizable percentage, then living on a COLA based benefit, is going to be more difficult. Hence, the various news articles generated by NYC and DC based journalists stating you can't live on SS alone.

Old 08-17-2012, 05:16 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
I can tell you over a 15 year period, my military pension, which uses the same COLA as SS, has increased 50%.

As for the benefit of COLA's. It depends on your personal lifestyle and where you live.

One trick is to live where the regional CPI is considerably less than the national CPI, upon which COLA's are based.

If you live where the CPI exceeds the national average by a sizable percentage, then living on a COLA based benefit, is going to be more difficult. Hence, the various news articles generated by NYC and DC based journalists stating you can't live on SS alone.
Gotta laugh and duck at the same time. State pensions are based on as you say a regional or state computed COLA. If you retire and transplant to the right area you can buy more annual buying power. Folks get tired about hearing transplant for financial reasons but it adds up in multiple ways.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement