Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-18-2012, 08:14 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,695,782 times

Advertisements

Who decides? Face it,the best stimulis is putting money into the hands of those who will immediately spend it. The majority of our problem is the $3 trillion the rich are sitting on
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-18-2012, 08:40 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Who decides? Face it,the best stimulis is putting money into the hands of those who will immediately spend it. The majority of our problem is the $3 trillion the rich are sitting on
By sitting on it do you mean saving and investing so they can be independent and not dependent on the earnngs of others for their survival? Does this mean frugality is a bad thing? Just because you have money should you just spend it? Are you advocating conspicuous consumption? What I hear you saying is that the best thing is to take money from savers to give to others to spend. Considering the topic of this thread are you advocating that retirement is becoming a process where the government transfers wealth from the haves to the have nots? I a.m not trying to be political but stimulus is a government application of tax dollars and is retirement becoming even more of a government controlled world .

Old 08-18-2012, 09:51 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,472,986 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
By sitting on it do you mean saving and investing so they can be independent and not dependent on the earnngs of others for their survival? Does this mean frugality is a bad thing? Just because you have money should you just spend it? Are you advocating conspicuous consumption? What I hear you saying is that the best thing is to take money from savers to give to others to spend. Considering the topic of this thread are you advocating that retirement is becoming a process where the government transfers wealth from the haves to the have nots? I a.m not trying to be political but stimulus is a government application of tax dollars and is retirement becoming even more of a government controlled world .
It seems that is the society in which we live today.."live for today".
I do worry though. Today we still have those that can retire on pensions. Many of the boomers were savers. But subsequent generations have a different mindset about saving, especially long term and by then there will be very few pensions and SS will be bleeding red.

Old 08-18-2012, 12:48 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,037,032 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
It seems that is the society in which we live today.."live for today".
I do worry though. Today we still have those that can retire on pensions. Many of the boomers were savers. But subsequent generations have a different mindset about saving, especially long term and by then there will be very few pensions and SS will be bleeding red.
Yup we are the ones blessed with a pension. We have saved and will/do have excellent SS. But I am concerned about future generations that are not well educated, financially secure and fiscally conservative.

Old 08-18-2012, 02:35 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by livecontent View Post
...I am one of those who faced the severe problems of life that was caused by a childhood disease that decided to manifest itself again, more severely, in my prime adult working years. Is is my fault? Shall I feel guilty because I have received SSDI at an earlier age. The answer is that I do feel guilty...Livecontent
Why should anyone feel guilty about getting sick? Robyn

P.S. There are public hospitals in many places that are usually run by local governments (cities/counties/etc.).

Old 08-18-2012, 02:40 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,488,316 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Who says the rich aren't spending money? They're spending money on stuff like this:

http://www.pebblebeachconcours.net/

It would be somewhat more accurate to say that a fair number of businesses are holding back on new investments due to current economic uncertainties. Robyn

Old 08-18-2012, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
The fact that that money is not circulating is why the economy is wheezing. Income disparity has become our largest economic problem. Wages are spiralling downward and that is effecting all of us, except the rich

Old 08-18-2012, 02:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
Who says the rich aren't spending money? They're spending money on stuff like this:

Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance : Welcome

It would be somewhat more accurate to say that a fair number of businesses are holding back on new investments due to current economic uncertainties. Robyn
No real business person holds back because of uncertainties, That is what business is about. What we have is a bunch of parasite bankers who want a government guarantee that they will make money before they borrow money from the FED for nothing to expand

Old 08-18-2012, 03:03 PM

106,656 posts, read 108,810,853 times
I dont agree at all.

Corporations are sitting on record cash levels. The outlook at least short term is bleak and individuals and corporations are not spending or borrowing.

Most of that money printed is supposed to be borrowed and spent buying more goods and services but there are no customers for borrowing that money.

In fact corporations have so much of their own money they dont even need to borrow much.

For the most part corporations and individuals are deleveraging .companies are selling assets and paying down debt.

2/3 's of the s&p 500 have cut earnings estimates.

Typically when cash levels are that high corporations would buy their own stock or other company stocks. There are little aquisitions going on.

We have far more mergers than aquisitions and thats a sign companies are looking for a secure footing by joining forces.

All that money is sitting unused in the federal reserve banks even at zero borrowing costs..

Not a good sign.the lack of spending is making deflating a bigger issue then inflation even with all that money they printed.

Last edited by mathjak107; 08-18-2012 at 03:35 PM..

Old 08-18-2012, 03:43 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,475,357 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post

Pebble Beach Concours d'Elegance : Welcome

Robyn
But Robyn. You make it sound as if there's something wrong with that!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement