Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-21-2012, 10:01 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,828,163 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
Love it.
I'm in Texas so can't say for sure - isn't there some requirement or other in Oregon or Washington that smacks down self-service? I'm curious as to how that's working out.
Oregon does not allow self-serve gas*. Which is not the same thing as saying that it's full serve, either - they don't check your oil or wash your window, they just pump the gas. A lot of people in rainy Western and Coastal Oregon like the service in the winter, when you don't have to get out of your car in the rain and wind.

Our gas is expensive, but it's not any more than Washington or Idaho, which do allow self-serve. The gas price has more to do with the small number of refineries up here and the fact that several of the refineries have had big fires or service interruptions, which is why a gallon of regular is $3.79 here (as of yesterday, 8/21/2012). Gas in California USED to be more expensive because of all the additives, but it's pretty much par now.

*Sorta. There are exceptions, such as membership "card-lock" stations (Pacific Pride would be one) and gas stations on Indian Reservation properties.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-21-2012, 10:59 AM

739 posts, read 1,848,312 times
Spoolies. (Remember those things?)

Psssssst.

Mercurochrome.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:13 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,907,290 times
Default Self-serve gasoline

I was amazed to learn in this thread that there are states which do not allow self-serve gas. How interesting that vestiges of the past still hang on. I would hazard to guess that there are not many places where you can still find someone to pump your gas for you. I just got back from a three-week road trip during which I drove through the following states: California, Arizona, New Mexico, Texas, Louisiana, Arkansas, Missouri, Kansas, Colorado, Utah, and back to California. Everything everywhere was self-serve. In 2006 I took an even longer road trip - was gone six weeks and drove through other states in addition to the ones listed. Self-serve everywhere I went.

Old 08-21-2012, 01:59 PM

15,912 posts, read 20,198,598 times
After reading another thread here I'll add this:

Affordable dental care.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:19 PM

26,654 posts, read 28,682,916 times
Full service gas is available where I live, thank goodness. That's all I'll go to, my one luxury. It's a little bit higher priced but being a woman, living in a freezing cold climate in winter that's broiling hot in summer, not wanting to get greasy or dirty, being dumb at how the stupid things work (I know,I know), and just having grown accustomed to full service all these years, I bite the bullet. Often they'll wash your windows too. They don't check the oil anymore unless you ask though.

Old 08-21-2012, 04:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
Full service gas is available where I live, thank goodness. That's all I'll go to, my one luxury. It's a little bit higher priced but being a woman, living in a freezing cold climate in winter that's broiling hot in summer, not wanting to get greasy or dirty, being dumb at how the stupid things work (I know,I know), and just having grown accustomed to full service all these years, I bite the bullet. Often they'll wash your windows too. They don't check the oil anymore unless you ask though.
Putting gas in your car does not get you "greasy or dirty", and it is very easy to learn to operate the pumps. If you are willing to pay a bit extra for the convenience of having someone else pump your gas, I have no quarrel with that, but at least let's be honest about the reasons.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:18 PM

4,280 posts, read 12,669,028 times
I can no longer find that hot 35 year old wife I used to sleep with....although I have the same wife......LOL

Old 08-21-2012, 05:20 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,479,020 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExNooYawk View Post
Spoolies. (Remember those things?)

Psssssst.

Mercurochrome.
...and Merthiolate and mercury thermometers.

Old 08-21-2012, 05:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by accufitgolf View Post
I can no longer find that hot 35 year old wife I used to sleep with....although I have the same wife......LOL
Don't you figure you wife would have similar sentiments in the other direction? Do you still look like Tarzan or is there a bit of a pot belly now? Etc., etc.

Old 08-22-2012, 05:58 PM

32,936 posts, read 36,359,395 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by biscuitmom View Post
I had a friend tell me you can't find ice picks for sale anymore. I didn't believe him, so I went hunting. He's right. Not saying it's impossible, but it's hard. BB&B has them online but not in their store.

I've got one that I've had for years. Can't remember ever using it for chipping ice but nothing else is better for punching holes in stuff.

Something I miss is souvenir matchbooks. They were nice mementos and practical, too. I pick them up at the race track, during horse racing season, but haven't seen them anywhere else.
An awl makes a nifty ice pick... and it's good for punching holes in stuff.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement