Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-15-2012, 09:37 AM

26,650 posts, read 28,557,937 times

Advertisements

I know it's not just me but things I used to buy and took for granted seem to be no longer available.

One thing is good sheets. I'm not asking for some humongous thread count, just good 200 thread count 100% cotton percale sheets. Also, I want to buy ONE sheet, not a set of top sheet, bottom sheet and two pillow cases! You used to be able to buy a good quality sheet by itself and it didn't cost a small fortune.

Another thing, and this one is really bothering me--towels. Are they all cheap junk made in China or Pakistan or some other far flung place? The bath towels I bought back in 1990 are just now beginning to show signs of wear and I'd like to replace them but I can't because they don't exist.

These towels were by Martex, they were pima cotton, and they were regular size, not oversized. Now all you can get is these huge bath sheets. What they call regular size is HUGE. I think my old towels are about 48" long. These HUGE towels take up more space in the washer, the dryer, on the towel rack and when they are wet they are HEAVY. As you get older, you don't want huge heavy towels, at least I don't.

Those two items come to mind but there are other things I look for in vain. Anyone else?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-15-2012, 10:05 AM

7,785 posts, read 18,779,066 times
Try here:

General Store | Classic Products | Hard to Find Products

Personally, I love my modern 450 count long-fiber organic cotton sheets and wouldn't give them up for anything. Yes, they cost and arm and a leg, but they last a long time and, as much time as you spend in bed a day, it's a great place to spend $$ on comfort.

Bath towels? I generally get tired of the color before the towels wear out and the towels get rotated down the chain (main/guest bath -> shop bath -> outdoor -> dog washing -> camping). I don't buy the big bath sheets, but haven't really noticed a problem with the length of towels (then again, I'm just over 6' tall and commensurately sized).

Old 08-15-2012, 10:17 AM

5,641 posts, read 24,904,544 times
I found it was harder to find check book registers than I thought it would be... apparently most use a software solution. Since both of us use different computers and share a checking account I have continued to use a paper register, but found they are not as common/available as they used to be.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:29 AM

15,633 posts, read 26,183,088 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by cdelena View Post
I found it was harder to find check book registers than I thought it would be... apparently most use a software solution. Since both of us use different computers and share a checking account I have continued to use a paper register, but found they are not as common/available as they used to be.
Go to your bank and ask -- they usually have a supply to hand out.

Old 08-15-2012, 11:48 AM

14,229 posts, read 29,970,145 times
I agree with you about the sheets and towels. It's hard to find decent ones.

I'm looking for sheets too. I found some wonderful ones several years ago at Overstock.com. And wouldn't you know it, I would forget to write down the brand name. And now I can't find them.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:03 PM

11,168 posts, read 15,964,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by in_newengland View Post
I know it's not just me but things I used to buy and took for granted seem to be no longer available.

One thing is good sheets. I'm not asking for some humongous thread count, just good 200 thread count 100% cotton percale sheets. Also, I want to buy ONE sheet, not a set of top sheet, bottom sheet and two pillow cases! You used to be able to buy a good quality sheet by itself and it didn't cost a small fortune.

Another thing, and this one is really bothering me--towels. Are they all cheap junk made in China or Pakistan or some other far flung place? The bath towels I bought back in 1990 are just now beginning to show signs of wear and I'd like to replace them but I can't because they don't exist.

These towels were by Martex, they were pima cotton, and they were regular size, not oversized. Now all you can get is these huge bath sheets. What they call regular size is HUGE. I think my old towels are about 48" long. These HUGE towels take up more space in the washer, the dryer, on the towel rack and when they are wet they are HEAVY. As you get older, you don't want huge heavy towels, at least I don't.

Those two items come to mind but there are other things I look for in vain. Anyone else?
Quote:
Originally Posted by PNW-type-gal View Post
Try here:

General Store | Classic Products | Hard to Find Products

Personally, I love my modern 450 count long-fiber organic cotton sheets and wouldn't give them up for anything. Yes, they cost and arm and a leg, but they last a long time and, as much time as you spend in bed a day, it's a great place to spend $$ on comfort.

Bath towels? I generally get tired of the color before the towels wear out and the towels get rotated down the chain (main/guest bath -> shop bath -> outdoor -> dog washing -> camping). I don't buy the big bath sheets, but haven't really noticed a problem with the length of towels (then again, I'm just over 6' tall and commensurately sized).
Quote:
Originally Posted by yellowsnow View Post
I agree with you about the sheets and towels. It's hard to find decent ones.

I'm looking for sheets too. I found some wonderful ones several years ago at Overstock.com. And wouldn't you know it, I would forget to write down the brand name. And now I can't find them.
Wow, for awhile there I thought I had inadvertantly clicked on the wrong forum, but then I noticed that it had the word retirees in the title and I knew that all was right with the world.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:09 PM

5,641 posts, read 24,904,544 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tallysmom View Post
Go to your bank and ask -- they usually have a supply to hand out.
I have not been in the same city as my bank in many years... I do banking online and through kiosks or atms. I did get one from a local bank but usually they just hand you a check order form. Have solved the problem but was just noting it is something that is harder to find these days.

Old 08-15-2012, 02:32 PM

26,650 posts, read 28,557,937 times
I checked the Vermont Country Store when I was looking for towels because they have everything (and I love to go there and look around) but they didn't have the older size towels. One place that was helpful was The Company Store--when I called them they said they would MAKE towels in any size I wanted. Where do you find THAT lately? What service--but the price would be high of course.

I'm glad you can still find Fels Naptha (yaller soap) in the stores because that stuff gets greasy stains out like nothing else I've ever found. Borax is good too and you can still get it. I guess I just go for a lot of the old fashioned stuff.

Old 08-15-2012, 03:46 PM

718 posts, read 2,075,470 times
And you still can get kerosene for lamps....go figure, but good for some.

Old 08-15-2012, 04:39 PM

2,361 posts, read 4,858,873 times
A couple of suggestions:

For sheets, although not single ones, you can try Overstock.com and search for Veratex. I just bought a set of them and they are very nice. They have various thread counts, including 300, 500, 800 and best thing is that they are made in the USA!

For check registers, you can get them really cheap on eBay, or you can also get them at Amazon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement