Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-25-2012, 10:00 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
If/when ya gotta go do it at home. Have to move out and life goes downhill from there.

If/when it comes to that just shoot me whether it's tomorriow or 20 years from now.
You don't have to move out, a good Ozark taxidermist will preserve you and you can continue to sit in your favorite chair forever, gazing at the hills.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-25-2012, 10:34 AM

7,572 posts, read 9,015,656 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
You don't have to move out, a good Ozark taxidermist will preserve you and you can continue to sit in your favorite chair forever, gazing at the hills.

"Here sits our old friend Curmugeon~~~~"

Old 08-25-2012, 10:45 AM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbria View Post

"Here sits our old friend Curmugeon~~~~"
Hmmph! I prefer mummification and entombment in a pyramid surrounded by all my vast stores of wealth.

Old 08-25-2012, 11:23 AM

11,181 posts, read 10,525,658 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
The poster who brought up the cult of the body isn't talking about normal activities. He's trying to make activities of no worth into something of a superior lifestyle. He wants to literally flex his muscles. It doesn't take any brains to do pushups; it does to digest a scholarly book. I prefer quality to quantity whether it's in food or in life expectancy.
Regular exercise, which I began 4 years ago, has greatly improved my quality of life. As has high quality (by my definition) food.
I don't see exercise/reading as an either/or proposition. I make time for both.
YMMV.

I'll probably stay in my house* until I tire of it, or until it becomes too much bother to maintain, or until my living here becomes a burden upon my sons - whichever comes first.

*"house", because my "home" is not a building, it's the place in which my body and soul reside.

Old 08-25-2012, 01:36 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,592,442 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mightyqueen801 View Post
When I think about dying at home, I wonder ...how long my cats would wait to start feasting on my body.
I worry about that too because cats should not go without food for more than twenty-four hours or they may get hepatic lipidosus (translation: liver full of fat). So let's hope our cats as well as our other pets don't waste any time. But I think my dogs would be grieving far too much.

Old 08-25-2012, 02:45 PM

23,593 posts, read 37,462,837 times
We have a programmable feeder for the cats. Ditto for fresh water. Memo to self: Keep them full. That should keep them happy for about 10 days and by that time, someone may notice my absense. Of course, my wife might just think I'm being lazy.

Old 08-25-2012, 03:05 PM

5,284 posts, read 20,043,847 times
I dunno - I'm kind of liking the taxidermy idea

Old 08-25-2012, 07:39 PM

2,289 posts, read 5,771,905 times
Here where I live in Florida there are many options. Although, I have some time to decide I probably will opt for a hotel style living, an apartment with a small kitchen, and room service when I don't want to cook for myself. All have gyms, pools and planned activities.

For now, I'll stay in my home, later...who knows...I have never been attached to 4 walls so moving on is easy for me.

Old 08-25-2012, 08:41 PM

17,531 posts, read 24,685,656 times
My wife and I are reaching the point that we can no longer care for our property. That leaves us in a condo or assisted living. Our children are no help so we will soon have to do one or the other

Old 08-26-2012, 03:07 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,963,273 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
My wife and I are reaching the point that we can no longer care for our property. That leaves us in a condo or assisted living. Our children are no help so we will soon have to do one or the other
That's the kicker, caring for the property ourselves if we do not have paid help. This is the all-too-realistic aspect of aging in our own homes.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement