Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 09-01-2012, 02:07 PM

400 posts, read 738,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by canadian citizen View Post
... I am still active and have developed a new career, in my 60's . I have all ways been told that I have a great voice, with very clear diction, so I looked in to doing voice acting, and radio commercials.

Now, I have a studio in my home, that I built, and I have clients across Canada and in the USA. Radio stations like my up beat, but authoratative sound, and my ability to do "character voices " and accents...
Good for you! That's a great story, Jim.

Toby
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 09-01-2012, 02:27 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,479,126 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LivingDeadGirl View Post
I was wondering how Americans who move to foreign countries take their money with them if we are limited to taking only $13,000 annually, out of the USA. And how expensive is the shipping of one's possessions?
You can take as much money out of the US as you want to. Although you may be subject to certain reporting requirements - will still be subject to US tax laws - etc. Renouncing your citizenship is another matter (although you need a fair amount of money to get into issues involving renouncing citizenship to save taxes). Robyn

Old 09-01-2012, 03:13 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,007,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
It is the fear of fiscal crisis and budget deficts that creates the concern that our pensions and SS are dependent on the decisions of folks not selected by us but by many others. We have discussed this previously and I know there are those who would agree and disagree with me.
I find that the majority of people who talk about pensions and SS going away, are those that are financially independent, and wish pensions and SS would go away. Ideologically, they don't like people "who haven't saved" getting retirement checks from the government. They live in a wishful fantasy world where all entitlements are ended.. The current fiscal crisis, gives them encouragement.

If we reach the final days as a nation, pensions and SS will be the last thing to go. At that point it won't matter, everyone will be in the same lifeboat.

This is being played out in Illinois right now, where the state is closing prisons, state parks, and anything else they can find, so they can meet pension obligations.

Old 09-01-2012, 03:25 PM

2,245 posts, read 3,007,241 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
That's called a wretched life. But I'm sure that most people living in homeless shelters would agree. Many of them are retired at twenty-five.

When I see something I want I buy it. I'm happy to work to surround myself with beautiful things. Look at the immensely wealthy people who work at at an advanced age. They'll never retire.

Warren Buffett - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Sumner Redstone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Oh no it isn't. The theoretical limit to cut expenses is zero. Earnings are unlimited.

There are always jobs and business opportunities for those who want them. Get out there and do them.
Buffett, Redstone, and other builders of empires large and small, are figureheads when they get to their age. They have other people who actually do the work at that point. Comparing them to the average 80 year, forced to perform in the workplace, is foolhardy.

Old 09-01-2012, 11:27 PM

18,757 posts, read 11,787,488 times
I've made up my mind to retire at 60 because my job is way too demanding both physically and mentally. I started planning for retirement in my late 20's and Social Security wasn't really part of the equation. We have been totally debt free for nearly 20 years and have invested more than we spend a month on necessities. I'm still not convinced that it's enough to last the rest of our lives but it will have to do. My gene pool is a train wreck and I don't want to be one of those people that retires and passes a year later.

Old 09-02-2012, 06:28 AM

3,262 posts, read 4,997,171 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by brava4 View Post
Ugh!! I work in a hospital, psych unit, with an RN who is 78. Everyone wants her to retire but she insists on working. She is deaf in one ear, hello can we talk about dangerous on a psych unit, she forgets how to use the computer/med system because she works part time and isn't there full time to get used to it, she farts ALLLLLL the time, and she complains about the hospital ALL the time.

My boss has her hands tied because of HR policies on age. So, we all wait for this woman to get it in hear head that it is time to go. Oh, and she doesn't need the money or any benefits.
Doesn't your state have a board of nursing that would need to hear about a nurse who is dangerous on the job? If she's really that dangerous, why hasn't she been reported?

Old 09-02-2012, 07:54 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BLS2753 View Post
I find that the majority of people who talk about pensions and SS going away, are those that are financially independent, and wish pensions and SS would go away. Ideologically, they don't like people "who haven't saved" getting retirement checks from the government. They live in a wishful fantasy world where all entitlements are ended.. The current fiscal crisis, gives them encouragement.

If we reach the final days as a nation, pensions and SS will be the last thing to go. At that point it won't matter, everyone will be in the same lifeboat.

This is being played out in Illinois right now, where the state is closing prisons, state parks, and anything else they can find, so they can meet pension obligations.
And Illinois is facing a day of reckoning as they increase taxes and decrease the quality of services just encouraging the more affluent and employers to eventually leave the state and further erode their tax base. As you say this is playing out in Illinois right now and not in Wisconsin so it will not need to be the final days of us as a nation but merely the final days of a given state as a non bankrupt entitity. SS is a more collective issue but state and local pensions are location, location and location. As you note those against pensions can also be upset about the debt cost to their government and the higher taxes and reduced services they are potentially creating both in the near and long term. Hey we have great pensions and I am wanting significant reforms to keep the system solvent.

Old 09-02-2012, 07:37 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,024,360 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
Being California state retirees we keep a close eye on CalPERS. It certainly ran and did better in the years before a certain political party, through its sympatico governors, stuffed the board with purely political appointees and union officials.

San Bernardino Eminent Domain Fight Closely Watched By Other Struggling Communities
Quote:
Gregory Devereaux is the chief executive of San Bernardino County and its 2 million residents. At his urging, local authorities are considering a proposal that would allow local governments to exercise their power to seize private property without landowners' consent in a dramatic -- some say radical -- new way

Quote:
Private investors, including pension funds like California Public Employees' Retirement System and the giant bond fund Pacific Investment Management Co., own much of the rest of the outstanding mortgage debt, which adds up to about 10 percent of all loans.
The above in California and it is being looked at by Illinois and other distressed states if enacted is not going to help their pension funds and others holding the mortgages to get ROI to sustain retirement plans.

There are only a few entities in the country that have the cash pension funds have. The others that come to mind are the private sector and the wealthy and we already know how much some want their hands on those resources to solve the ills of society.

Old 09-02-2012, 08:05 PM

10,213 posts, read 14,824,183 times
It seems like most of the folks responding to this thread have a fixed pension, plus SS. That's certainly more secure than depending on accumulated savings (401K, 403B, etc).

One 'group' I was wondering about in the original question is those forced to retire early and start drawing on their accumulated savings ... and/or those whose reduced savings ROI has caused them to withdraw a larger percentage for living expenses, than planned ... and who are now 'eating painfully large chunks of principle' just to survive.

Old 09-02-2012, 09:12 PM

14,247 posts, read 17,914,646 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jghorton View Post
It seems like most of the folks responding to this thread have a fixed pension, plus SS. That's certainly more secure than depending on accumulated savings (401K, 403B, etc).

One 'group' I was wondering about in the original question is those forced to retire early and start drawing on their accumulated savings ... and/or those whose reduced savings ROI has caused them to withdraw a larger percentage for living expenses, than planned ... and who are now 'eating painfully large chunks of principle' just to survive.
Just a comment on pensions. Don't assume they will always be there. We have a friend who retired from Kodak. When they went under he lost his pension and his health care benefits.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement