U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 1.5 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
Jump to a detailed profile or search
site with Google Custom Search

Business Search - 14 Million verified businesses
Search for:  near: 

Old 09-04-2012, 04:06 PM

4,281 posts, read 4,726,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by caco54 View Post
I am about 4 years away from retirement. Married no debt. Three kids out of college, also debt free and on their own. My wife thinks I am nuts as so do some of my friends but my thought would be to sell all assets (home, furniture) except car and rent on the Jersey Shore for the summers and some where warm in the winter (NC, SC, FL, AZ). No taxes, utilities, repairs etc. No furniture, home, "things" for the kids to sell off after my death. Move clothes and some personal possessions between locations. I will have adequate funding for travel, "visiting", etc. Thoughts?
We once looked at having two small condos and going back and forth when we wanted. I say condos as in ones that take care of themselves when we are not there.
Quick reply to this message

Old 09-04-2012, 09:27 PM

1,918 posts, read 2,052,417 times
started with a small winter place~ now have two full fledged houses with all the trimmings. Could go from one to the next on an airplane because everything I need is at both ends~ don't even need to pack a toothbrush, although I do pack my DISH recievers and my laptop. Cannot think how it would be to leave behind everything as I have about double of everything

Old 09-05-2012, 07:01 AM

5,090 posts, read 5,717,619 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
The utilities would follow me wherever we'd go....
When you rent seasonally, utilities are usually included. In fact, other ancillary items such as cable tv and internet service may be included as well.

Old 09-06-2012, 11:38 AM

8,420 posts, read 10,423,909 times
What happens when you are too old to travel. Will you have enough to tide you over when you have to stay put? If you do, then hit the road Jack...sounds like fun to me.

Old 09-07-2012, 06:36 PM

301 posts, read 334,157 times
Are these both resort areas. Most furnished places don't put out the good stuff for renters. Your wife may be attached to the home she has worked over the years to decorate . Try to see a little from her perspective. Maybe keep your home and travel one year to the south for several months.

Old 09-08-2012, 07:57 PM

5,214 posts, read 2,219,185 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Avalon08 View Post
I'm with your wife. You'd have to be moving what's left of your "household" every six months. I can't imagine moving every stitch of clothing and pair of shoes....every photo album I've lovingly put together over 40 years.....every file folder of important papers.....every piece of memorabilia, etc. etc. etc., a couple times a year. I don't think I could downsize enough to make that feasible, or even appealing from a physical energy standpoint.
I think the best path may be in the middle. Own a condo in one place, rent in the other. We split time north and south (I can work three weeks at a time from anywhere, but need to be back north one week a month. DW stays south those weeks.

Three years ago we bought a modest but sufficient condo in a nice waterfront community in a place we love down south; recently sold the too-large home up north and downsized to an apartment. Don't need many clothes down south, both places are outfitted, so we travel light.

If you sell your furniture, you'll never have a favorite chair again. Furniture in places that are rented furnished are chosen for durability, not comfort. And it would be easier to change your wife's religion than to change her mind about getting rid of her stuff.

Old 09-09-2012, 12:35 AM

1,089 posts, read 1,113,066 times
Don't forget not having to pay home owner's insurance which takes a bite.

OTOH, this: ...having no place to call "home" would be difficult...

A particularly feminine view. Not that guys can't be homebodies or women free spirits but we tend to want a nest as it were.

We are snowbirds that own two places. It would be simpler and less expensive to use our RV as the second summer home and we have been talking about this option, selling our summer home in AK. And in a way, an RV is still your home. Familiar surroundings, bedding that you like, cooking implements that you are used to. Old favorite books and movies, that kind of thing. We've spent 6 months on and off in our RV and know that it is doable for us. There are so many ways to meet both of your goals so try not to do something not easily undone in exploring future options and you must have your wife on board with the plans for your joint lives. It's only fair that she is happy as well. One thing I have observed meeting many retired folks on our travels is that many retirees travel a great deal in the first five years or so but eventually long for some stability and at least go back to a "home" (if not two) of some type with travel being more short in duration.

Good luck and congratulations on your retirement.

Old 09-09-2012, 08:19 AM

5,084 posts, read 4,865,376 times
winter rentals in Florida snowbird areas are usually priced high. For example, a Jan-Feb-Mar rental might be $3000/mo. It comes furnished and all utilities are paid. You pay a 10% tax on the rental, as it is really $3300/mo. You are provided linens and pots and pans. You might have a cleaning fee to pay as well.

That same condo or home might rent as an empty "annual" rental for $1200/mo where the rental would pay utilities and furnish. The annual renter does not pay the extra 10% tax, which is a state law for any rental that is 6 months or less.

If you rent at the NJ shore during summer, then you find that you are renting in prime season as well and pay a higher rent rate.

Maybe consider an annual unfurnished rental in FL or AZ (your winter place). You can leave your clothing and personal items there. You would be surprised how much stuff you need and if you rent on both ends, you have to pack it up in the car. Some examples: clothes, shoes, computer stuff, important papers, photos, collectibles, jewelry, shampoos and perfumes and lotions, makeup, shaving kit, brushes, your favorite coffee and favorite waffle maker and your cast iron skillet (because the rental doesnt provide that). Spices that arent at the rental house. And your hats and lawn chairs and fishing poles and umbrellas.

In a nutshell, there are items that you need to live and they probably cannot fit in the car. And some items you dont want to haul each time you go back and forth.

It would be easier to leave some items. If you have a seasonal rental, you cannot leave items there. Sometimes an annual rental is almost the same price as far as monthly rent and utilities. But you have a place to leave your stuff. BUT...you need to furnish the annual rental.

Old 09-09-2012, 10:08 AM

3,421 posts, read 2,806,589 times
I'd buy two small apartment type condos, one for the summer, one for the winter. Leave your seasonal stuff in each. Much easier than packing winter clothes to haul to the summer place and vice versa. Major waste of effort. All you have to do is move yourselves. Apartment styles need little upkeep and little extra expense.

Your other option rather than hauling tons of unnecessary stuff back and forth, is to rent two storage units, so the winter things stay north and the summer things stay south ( or southwest) . Of course that can run into some money.

I'd also worry if unforeseen illness or injury over took one or both of you. I don't even mean chronic or debilitating problem . You can wrench a knee and need surgery or something and be hobbling around for months. Not going to be much fun if you've contracted a rental for 5 months and you're injured in month four of the rent. Where to go? Better to have a place that you own so you can stay put if you need to.

Old 09-09-2012, 02:16 PM

18,731 posts, read 15,353,314 times
We've found, since buying our retirement home, that we enjoy "vacationing" for a week to 10 days at a time and then we're eager to get home again. It helps that we also enjoy our lakeside location during all four distinct seasons. Watching them change in place is half the fun. For us, home really is where the heart is.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $84,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement