Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-01-2012, 07:10 PM

48,505 posts, read 96,675,147 times

Advertisements

I would say the hge defciit liabilkty issues facig ther conutry and cuts coming in budget sooner or later.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-01-2012, 07:20 PM

14,617 posts, read 21,434,279 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pammyd View Post
Morning New EnglandGirl: You enjoying this beautiful New England Fall that we have going on? I sure am.

Regarding your question about being worried about anything being a Senior; I would have to say there has got to be some way to simplify the transition from company based health insurance to Medicare. I am going thru that transition right now and it is so confusing. I have an Insurance Broker I am working with who, thank God, is a Senior herself and knows her stuff. Right now I am pretty sure for a supplemental plan, I am going with Connecticare. They seem to have the best to offer...
Connecticare seems to offer only Medicare Advantage plans - not Medigap (Medicare supplement) plans. Do you know what the differences are between these 2 kinds of plans? Robyn

Old 10-02-2012, 08:27 AM

31,680 posts, read 40,970,152 times
Many especially the affluent and ofter well educated are developing alternative long term health strategies that attempt to create flexibility for medica/fiscal/technology changes to come that we are only now dreaming of. We can only wonder what the outcomes of stem cell research will have been in 20-30 years and will we be able to afford treatments and what are the possibilities of various types of insurance covering them.

Old 10-02-2012, 03:50 PM

18,671 posts, read 33,286,569 times
I see nothing unfair about people having to spend all their assets for their own care- what else should it be for?
My father had no assets, zip. A weary trailer that would cost $2k to remove from the park on his passing. Living month-to-month on Social Security. My sister put him in for Medicaid so he could be in a nursing home for the few weeks before his death (he was unsafe in the trailer, even with visiting help). My sister felt unable to take him home to her home, even with help and me, even though it was likely only going to be a couple of months at most.

I would personally kill myself before living in a nursing home, because I would consider my life to be effectively over (and wouldn't want to get caught "in the system.") That's just me, I am not saying anyone else should consider this, although from the miseries that so many seniors report, I am surprised they don't consider it themselves.
Assisted living really is expensive. My observation is that people often go into it when they are past the point where it can really help or work- it's sort of a "Hail Mary" when, usually, dementia goes past the point of staying home.

My plan has been to stay in my home and have enough money to hire help (come to think of it, I already do- cleaning service, house and lawn management). I also consider selling my house and moving to an Erickson community in the state, which I likely could afford (and likely a lot of people cannot).

I watch the few seniors I know well and try to learn from their decisions and mistakes in taking care of themselves and business.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:00 AM
mlb

4,971 posts, read 4,437,896 times
Where my inlaws were placed in AL - more than 60 percent of the residents are independent living - retired, ambulatory, active elders. People who are aware that decline happens to all of us - but they choose - and pay for - being in a place where they can live safely as they age.

There are only 65 rooms dedicated to those who need assisted living. This was an intentional choice because my inlaws did not want to be in a nursing facility where most of the residents were 'warehoused' - memory care patients who were more or less incapacitated.

This, of course, however, will be interesting - because the folks are in denial about their mental and physical decline. We may find - in the coming months that they do need more care than where they are can provide.... or not.

Re-evaluation can occur at any time. The staff will be watching.

Old 10-03-2012, 06:25 AM

3,576 posts, read 4,497,795 times
I am worried about Medicare, too. I see the health care law gutting Medicare by hundreds of billions of dollars. I also read that AARP is supporting the new law because they'll be administrators of the health care law for seniors. If I am wrong, please tell me.
I hope Massachusetts passes the death with dignity law, too. Here my parents paid $11,000.00 per month for care, They couldn't be cared for at home; we tried. Plus if you pay for yourself in the N Home you are taxed to pay for those who can't pay. Double whammy!
I also read Medicare Advantage will be phased out by reducing payments to providers.

Last edited by luvmyhoss; 10-03-2012 at 06:27 AM.. Reason: add

Old 10-03-2012, 06:27 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,937,686 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by luvmyhoss View Post
I am worried about Medicare, too. I see the health care law gutting Medicare by hundreds of billions of dollars. I also read that AARP is supporting the new law because they'll be administrators of the health care law for seniors. If I am wrong, please tell me.
I hope Massachusetts passes the death with dignity law, too. Here my parents paid $11,000.00 per month for care, They couldn't be cared for at home; we tried. Plus if you pay for yourself in the N Home you are taxed to pay for those who can't pay. Double whammy!
Many Mass. residents are going to the polls mainly for that referendum.

Old 10-03-2012, 07:43 AM

11,171 posts, read 15,964,111 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Care should not cost this much. Period.
Well, I don't think a Ferrari should cost so much, but that's the way things are.

Your mother is being charged $167/day for room, board, and round-the-clock care. How much do you think that should cost?

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlb View Post
Stop insulting me. Did I say I wanted taxpayers to pick it up?

No I didn't. You must be a teabagger....

LOL

And just how did I insult you? By suggesting that your mother should be responsible for paying for her own care rather than leaving "her resources" to you as an inheritance?

Sorry if that offended you.

(Actually, no, I'm not.)

Old 10-03-2012, 04:38 PM

35,309 posts, read 52,154,689 times
Seems like you work all your life just to pay off seniors homes and other related medical costs when you get old.

Old 10-04-2012, 06:38 AM

10,420 posts, read 14,560,595 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jambo101 View Post
Seems like you work all your life just to pay off seniors homes and other related medical costs when you get old.
Yes, it does. That's why I intend to keep working as long as I can. Money is the only thing that can definitely keep me out of a nursing home. I may have to spend it on home care but at least i'll be home. A million dollars or more is a really cheap price to stay home until the end. There's no insurance that will cover this; it's necessary to have it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement