Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-27-2016, 05:40 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,901,585 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post
What would be some examples of "voting for the interests of our generation"?
The first that springs to mind: Social Security. Keeping it funded as is (the establishment) or privatizing it (Trump). Medicare. Healthcare, nursing home costs and regs. Senior services of all kinds federally funded. Environment, climate change for the next generation.What else could be more important for us? Maybe not leaving for the next lifetime via a nuclear blast.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-27-2016, 10:54 PM

8,238 posts, read 6,532,392 times
I don't really understand your train of thought at posts #69 and #71, but I'm going to vote Democratic for my U.S. Representative, U.S Senator, and U.S. President as I always do and have done for 48 years, and the Democratic party for my state level representative & senator - as those are the people who represent my points of view.

Voting on individual issues is not really possible and would involve lobbying representatives and senators issue by issue, or writing them letters or calling them. I don't understand your train of thought in thinking you can vote for individual issues - pushing for individual issues requires lobbying representatives or contacting your reps/senators via letters or phone on each issue.

Perhaps your thought is that groups similar to AARP and other organizations representing older citizens should push for legislation regarding the current older generation's best interests or needs. Otherwise, I still do not know what you mean, unless you are referring to lobbying on issues or electing Democratic or Republican reps/senators.

I'm still more interested in what I perceive to be the public good rather than any self-interests or older generation focused interests.

I do not believe in voting for representatives and senators based primarily on one's own self-interests or based on interests primarily of one generation. (I'm, of course, interested in addressing climate change and environmental issues (pollution), as I stated in the chat thread)

Last edited by matisse12; 10-27-2016 at 11:56 PM..

Old 10-27-2016, 11:49 PM

10,420 posts, read 10,771,015 times
Higher Income Taxes

Old 10-28-2016, 11:06 AM

16,042 posts, read 21,901,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by matisse12 View Post

I'm still more interested in what I perceive to be the public good rather than any self-interests or older generation focused interests.

)
Well, the "public good" infers drastically reducing our national debt, and regarding this certain parties believe that certain federal programs such as SS and Medicare should be privatized. Get that cost off the books.

Public good and demographic interests are often at odds with each other. Another example is the enormous climate problem caused by fossil fuels. Public good (survival) vs. private interest (corporate reign, and supposedly, jobs).

When you look at the overall agenda of a particular candidate and his/her party, you can pretty much identify how the individual issues are going to play out.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement