Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 03:13 AM

106,668 posts, read 108,833,673 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissNM View Post
I can do the math to figure out what I need to do now to have $XXX available each month for retirement. My husband is pretty good at picking our investments - he always seems to know when to move to conservative funds. Wish he were that sharp 20 years ago - or maybe he was, and I didn't listen!

I am good at the full 401K contribution, so I have that part covered.

My real battle is figuring out how much $XXX should be. How much do we really need to live in 20 years. That's the real unknown.
some folks like to figure 2x their non discretionary spending per year less any pension or ss . they then x that by 25 and thats a ball park of how much is enough.

that gives you the flexibility to cut spending on discretionary stuff if markets or lifes events move against you.

as an example if our non discretionary bills run 45k a year then a ball park income may be 2x that or 90k a year to cover everything we do and buy. subtract out ss and pensions and lets say thats 50k a year .

so the 40k shortfall x 25= 1,000,000.00 in savings needed.

that lets you cut discretionary spending by up to 50% if push comes to shove and is based on your own real expenditures..

no one knows what life will cost us down the road so about the best we can do is guesstimate a starting point and actively adjust things as time goes on.

with life expectancy always increasing more of us are living longer. we may not be living to an older age by much but more and more of us are living to an older age percentage wise.

depending on how many years you think long you think you need to prepare for ,the starting balance may be higher or lower. most planning figures 30 years but that may not be enough for some .

annuities are a good way to cut the amount needed up front as risk pooling can cut the amount needed in your nest egg.

not many of us can get our nest egg to a point where it can support us for 40 years with much certainty but by risk pooling with an annuity you can go out that long.

those who die support those who live.

about the best thing you can plan for is to take ss later as thats the best deal around for cutting how much you may need . no where on the planet can you buy a product for the amount of the 8 years of ss you give up from 62 to 70 that will give you an amount even close with cola adjustments.

i havent looked into it much but longevity insurance may help cut that amount way down too. you may not live past 85 but good planning dictates you figure out into your 90's.

longevity insurance kicking in at 85 is cheap and may cut your nest egg needed by quite a bit too.

Last edited by mathjak107; 10-06-2012 at 04:01 AM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 05:07 AM

2,991 posts, read 4,289,465 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robyn55 View Post
And I don't believe in any "magic number".
Robyn
Believe or disbelieve anything you want. If anyone is interested, however, today's Wall Street Journal has a good introduction to the topic on page B8.

Old 10-06-2012, 09:23 AM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
With the S&P up 17 percent for the year is now the best time to be increasing risk? Just wondering. Personally no!

Old 10-06-2012, 02:04 PM

i wouldnt add money to equities at these valuations.

Old 10-06-2012, 05:30 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,971,957 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mathjak107 View Post
any way the point is everything looks like it will work when back tested or analyzed on paper but the real world has a way of making sure things dont hold true as soon as you adopt the plan.

Did someone say rigged?

Old 10-07-2012, 02:21 AM

not that its rigged , its just every time i seem to do something lifes events always has me as the exception to some rule .

Old 10-07-2012, 02:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
With the S&P up 17 percent for the year is now the best time to be increasing risk? Just wondering. Personally no!
while i wouldnt add money to funds if i was into individual companies there are always great companies out there that are worthy of buying.

especially because the companies have such high cash levels today.

there are some excellent companies out there that have great potential and are undervalued , i bought one a few years ago tht was barely selling for more than the cash they held. the stock did great and i was sorry i didnt hold it longer.

the indexes and markets havent done well at all the last 12 years. its really been a stock pickers market and is based on individual picks .

Old 10-07-2012, 02:59 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
My guess is that Accufit has the MRD on his sheltered income factored in as part of his income stream since they are at the 70 ish age range. The balance becomes a health care hedge.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:35 AM

4,280 posts, read 12,667,816 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TuborgP View Post
My guess is that Accufit has the MRD on his sheltered income factored in as part of his income stream since they are at the 70 ish age range. The balance becomes a health care hedge.
Tuborq

I have to deal with MRD's this year. As it stands now with both our incomes the MRD's are not needed income. The money will be reinvested in mutual funds. I may actually nevere see the check (just the taxable income statement...LOL) as my present plan is to have Fidelity just move the money from an IRA account to a non-Ira (general) account. Actually as of now, in the same Fidelity Mutual Funds I presently have as they have done well for me over the years

Fortunately my wife retired with a state pension and health benefits. When we turned 65 the state health plan became our supplemental. If she dies, I can continue it at a very attractive rate.

I am open to other suggestions as to investing the MRD's but please, not from sales people trolling for leads here especially if their suggestions have a upfront load.

Thanks.

Old 10-08-2012, 09:54 AM

if you really dont need the money and your wife is in good health and younger than you a possible choice may be a single premium life insurance policy with her as owner and beneficiary.

if she inherits your ira money its got rmd's and taxes.

if you pay for the insurance with the ira money it usually cost far less then the policy will pay and its all tax free with no rmd's to your wife..

whatever is left over in your ira's leave to the kids or a charity.

at least your wife wont have any rmd's and taxes to contend with.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement