Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-06-2012, 08:57 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I second this suggestion. Also, Cleveland's transportation system for seniors is pretty good. University Circle offers a lot of museums and cultural activities. If you're on a strict budget, though, check into taxes. I hear Cleveland has some towns with pretty bad taxes. Not sure what the tax situation is with Detroit.
True, but the taxes in the individual towns are wage taxes, not income taxes. Those wage taxes don't apply to pensions, social security or investment income.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-06-2012, 09:36 PM

10,420 posts, read 14,593,655 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
However the way the original post was posted, I think it does give rise to the question of why people retire to the places they do. Is it because they follow the crowd to the usual retirment places or because they really look into the places that hold the most amenities and necessities for them.
I think many people follow the crowd, or their friends, particularly to the warrm weather states. Growing up in Illinois I remember constant complaining about hot, humid weather. Yet so many of those people moved to Florida where they could enjoy eight months of even hotter weather. But I still know a few people in Illinois who believe that's the place for them. They perceive the amenities as adequate or better and they're familiar with the place. Although not common on this forum many people are frightened at the thought of leaving their places of birth.

Others move because they want a place where they're a better fit. Texas and Arizona have seen large numbers of conservative newcomers. It's a good fit for many. Colorado and Vermont, once conservative states, have seen an influx of liberals. For some reason the best ski areas in the country draw liberals although I can't understand why. There's nothing political on either side about skiing.

Many people just wish to escape crime. Upper New England and much of the dreaded "flyover" country suit their desires. Many want less government and lower taxes; again, it's off to "flyover" country.

One poster raves about the delights of Philadelphia; those delights would send this poster running. Some people move with little knowledge; some do a lot of checking. I think that someone who moves to Cleveland and doesn't have family there would likely fit into the second category. We're all looking for different things. Just about everybody has a list but they're not ranking the items on the list the same. So different people move to different places.

People who ask on this forum where to move are asking the impossible as no one can tell them what they really want. These people would be far better off getting into their cars and keeping a coin handy for flipping. They might have some ideas but even a few minutes actually being in most places would allow rejection, a fast decision, or encourage them to find out more. I drove through Wichita, Kansas about ten years ago for the first and only time; I didn't stop once. But I just didn't like the place. I had no thought of moving there but if if I had that quick look would have killed it. Why? It just had a bad feel; to others it would have felt great.

One person's Heaven is another's Hell.

Old 10-06-2012, 11:24 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,433,203 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Happy in Wyoming View Post
I think many people follow the crowd, or their friends, particularly to the warrm weather states. Growing up in Illinois I remember constant complaining about hot, humid weather. Yet so many of those people moved to Florida where they could enjoy eight months of even hotter weather. But I still know a few people in Illinois who believe that's the place for them. They perceive the amenities as adequate or better and they're familiar with the place. Although not common on this forum many people are frightened at the thought of leaving their places of birth.

Others move because they want a place where they're a better fit. Texas and Arizona have seen large numbers of conservative newcomers. It's a good fit for many. Colorado and Vermont, once conservative states, have seen an influx of liberals. For some reason the best ski areas in the country draw liberals although I can't understand why. There's nothing political on either side about skiing.

Many people just wish to escape crime. Upper New England and much of the dreaded "flyover" country suit their desires. Many want less government and lower taxes; again, it's off to "flyover" country.

One poster raves about the delights of Philadelphia; those delights would send this poster running. Some people move with little knowledge; some do a lot of checking. I think that someone who moves to Cleveland and doesn't have family there would likely fit into the second category. We're all looking for different things. Just about everybody has a list but they're not ranking the items on the list the same. So different people move to different places.

People who ask on this forum where to move are asking the impossible as no one can tell them what they really want. These people would be far better off getting into their cars and keeping a coin handy for flipping. They might have some ideas but even a few minutes actually being in most places would allow rejection, a fast decision, or encourage them to find out more. I drove through Wichita, Kansas about ten years ago for the first and only time; I didn't stop once. But I just didn't like the place. I had no thought of moving there but if if I had that quick look would have killed it. Why? It just had a bad feel; to others it would have felt great.

One person's Heaven is another's Hell.
Very true all of this. People often look at me as though I have lost my mind when I tell them I want to move from Portland to Cleveland. I have many reasons for wanting to do this. Cleveland suits my needs at this stage of my life so much more than Portland does.

I often think that younger "sheeple" move to places just because everyone else is without a thought to whether or not it would suit them because these places are hyped as the places to be by the media. You see them in Portland every day. I believe it's one reason why we have so many homeless on our streets.

But I also believe that some of us elders, who should know better, are just as guilty as we migrate to places that are touted as ideal retirement areas without really thinking it through as to whether or not they are really for us as individuals.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:13 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
True, but the taxes in the individual towns are wage taxes, not income taxes. Those wage taxes don't apply to pensions, social security or investment income.
I was thinking of the property taxes in places like Shaker Heights and Cleveland Heights. I've always heard property taxes are high enough there to make people reconsider moving to those towns, even though they're really nice towns--but it's just what I've heard, sounds like you're familiar with area and may know better than me.

Old 10-07-2012, 04:56 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,070,580 times
Quote:
However the way the original post was posted, I think it does give rise to the question of why people retire to the places they do. Is it because they follow the crowd to the usual retirment places or because they really look into the places that hold the most amenities and necessities for them.
Great topic. People wonder why those multitude of lists are so popular--here's a big reason why. Cities pay to get on those lists because city managers/PR departments know that a lot of people will only consider moving to a city that "the crowd" has deemed a good place to retire.

We're facing a similar problem. It took forever to find a small town that met all the items on our particular wish list. So when we finally found one, I thought the matter was settled. My husband has a different attitude, however--now that we've found a town we like, he feels a need to bounce the idea off close friends and family to see what they think. To him it's important that we move to a place that impresses certain people, especially family members. Unfortunately for us, his family doesn't seem impressed by the town we like, and as a result he's now balking and talking about staying in northern VA, which apparently is suitable in their eyes.

For me this is maddening, but it matters to my husband and marriage involves compromises. This is one I'm willing to make (for a few years anyway, until the desire to move to a place with the features & price we want overrules the need to impress family).

I can imagine the same thing happens with people wanting to retire to rust belt cities. Actually, a lot of those cities have plenty going for them. But it can be hard to swim against the current of popular taste, and unfortunately popular taste says the rust belt cities aren't where people are retiring right now.

Old 10-07-2012, 03:21 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,908,149 times
Caladium. You're absolutely correct about cities paying to get on those lists. Money magazine did lists like this 15 years ago when we lived in North Carolina, and designated Goldsboro, NC as one of the top 10 cities in America. 5 other cities in NC made that list that year. It was a joke in town. Everyone I knew said it was a joke.

I'm sure there are people that do "follow the crowd", when picking a retirement location, but, IMHO, there are lots of good reasons for people to pick certain retirement locations. People who live in places like Wi, MN, Iowa, ILL, MICH, Ohio, want to escape winter. They're sick of cold weather, and so they end up picking two places that have relatively mild winter weather, Florida or Arizona, with lots of recreational activities. Some move there full time, but some find out too late that summers can be miserable. But they stay cause they can't afford 2 houses and they sure hate winter.

Old 10-07-2012, 05:44 PM

14,044 posts, read 27,208,139 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
I was thinking of the property taxes in places like Shaker Heights and Cleveland Heights. I've always heard property taxes are high enough there to make people reconsider moving to those towns, even though they're really nice towns--but it's just what I've heard, sounds like you're familiar with area and may know better than me.
Well if you're looking at property tax your comments about Shaker Heights and Cleveland Heights are accurate. However, you also have very nice and safe places like Rocky River, Bay Village or Westlake that have significantly lower tax rates.

Old 10-07-2012, 06:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewToCA View Post
Well if you're looking at property tax your comments about Shaker Heights and Cleveland Heights are accurate. However, you also have very nice and safe places like Rocky River, Bay Village or Westlake that have significantly lower tax rates.

I have a friend who has owned a home in Cleveland Heights for many years. I am curious now so I may just ask her what her property taxes are. But what is high or low? I guess one would have to make comparisons to other places. I know housing prices are higher in the Eastern suburbs than the Western 'burbs of Cleveland but they are all still probably lower than those near other cities.

I suppose that would also affect renters to a degree. That's what I would be doing.

Old 10-07-2012, 07:27 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,625,697 times
Quote:
I have a friend who has owned a home in Cleveland Heights for many years. I am curious now so I may just ask her what her property taxes are. But what is high or low? I guess one would have to make comparisons to other places. I know housing prices are higher in the Eastern suburbs than the Western 'burbs of Cleveland but they are all still probably lower than those near other cities.

I suppose that would also affect renters to a degree. That's what I would be doing.
Property Taxes For Cities in Cuyahoga County, Ohio 2011 | RE/MAX Cleveland Realtors - YouShouldOwn.com

Old 10-07-2012, 07:48 PM

Well thanks for the link but it's kind of lost on me. I have never been able to afford to own a home and I won't be owning one when I make the move to Cleveland. I suspect, though, with all the complaining I hear and in light of the fact that Orgeon has no sales tax, property taxes anywhere in Ohio will be less than in Oregon.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement