Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-09-2012, 10:55 AM

26,653 posts, read 28,677,767 times

Advertisements

As I see it, the main problem with the right to die is that it could be abused.

There will usually be family members who are waiting impatiently for the person to die so they can get their inheritance. I don't think the MA ballot question has enough provisions to make sure that it is the person's choice to die and not someone who has something to gain by the death.

You merely have to get a few signatures and witnesses. If the person who supposedly wants to die is the one doing this, then okay (maybe), but usually that person is so sick or in so much pain that the task falls to the family.

Family would be the ones to benefit from any inheritance and family would be the ones who simply are sick and tired of caring for the person-- so they have motives for ending the person's life.

All they would have to do is trick or intimidate the person into signing the papers and get a few sympathetic (to them) witnesses and it's a done deal.

I do have sympathy for the few who actually would prefer to die and are of sound enough mind to make a rational decision. There are some terminal illnesses that are prolonged and the person will suffer incredibly. If there's a right answer, I don't know it.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2012, 11:08 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,083,378 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caladium View Post
Corrupt officials might snuff out large numbers of seniors who had become a tax burden
Quote:
Originally Posted by newenglandgirl View Post
the New Hampshire motto, "Live Free or Die."
Oh my! Love the odd juxtaposition of these two thoughts. Have we created a whole new spin for that motto? Is it a patriotic brag.... or a warning?

Old 10-09-2012, 11:11 AM

18,759 posts, read 11,794,120 times
Having worked in healthcare for over 20 years I can honestly say that we are kinder to our terminally ill animals then we are to human beings. I think how we die should be left to individual choice. I believe the Swiss have the right idea and I hope we are more progressive in the way things are done here when it's my time to go. I have seen mercy killings here and I'll take that over lingering in agony for days than you.

Old 10-09-2012, 02:47 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,366,552 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by arwenmark View Post
that should read "Taxachusetts the Kill me State, we will get you one way or another!"

I live here and I know.
Massachusetts hasn't been called Taxachusetts since the 1970s. We pay a hell of a lot less taxes here in MA than we did when we lived in FL.

If the death with dignity law passes, it still won't be easy. You'll have to sign your life away (literally) and go through many layers and be seen by many doctors. You'll probably die from the disease before you get your official go-ahead.

Old 10-09-2012, 03:12 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,969,475 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ipoetry View Post
Massachusetts hasn't been called Taxachusetts since the 1970s. We pay a hell of a lot less taxes here in MA than we did when we lived in FL.

If the death with dignity law passes, it still won't be easy. You'll have to sign your life away (literally) and go through many layers and be seen by many doctors. You'll probably die from the disease before you get your official go-ahead.
Sentence #1: I agree. SS and military pensions are not taxed, we have no sales tax on groceries (or on clothing up to a certain amount), manageable sales tax on other items, and low excise tax. The only thing that's rather high here is property taxes, and that is set by the municipalities and towns, and has a cap on hikes set by the state. Property tax in NH is extremely high, due to no state income or sales tax. If one wants to live in Mass., one can, if one can afford the price of housing.

Sentence #2: Most likely true.

Oregon (from Wikipedia):

"Under the law, a capable adult Oregon resident who has been diagnosed, by a physician, with a terminal illness that will kill the patient within six months may request in writing, from his or her physician, a prescription for a lethal dose of medication for the purpose of ending the patient's life. Exercise of the option under this law is voluntary and the patient must initiate the request. Any physician, pharmacist or healthcare provider who has moral objections may refuse to participate....

"The request must be confirmed by two witnesses, at least one of whom is not related to the patient, is not entitled to any portion of the patient's estate, is not the patient's physician, and is not employed by a health care facility caring for the patient. After the request is made, another physician must examine the patient's medical records and confirm the diagnosis. The patient must be determined to be free of a mental condition impairing judgment. If the request is authorized, the patient must wait at least fifteen days and make a second oral request before the prescription may be written. The patient has a right to rescind the request at any time. Should either physician have concerns about the patient's ability to make an informed decision, or feel the patient's request may be motivated by depression or coercion, the patient must be referred for a psychological evaluation....

"The law protects doctors from liability for providing a lethal prescription for a terminally ill, competent adult in compliance with the statute's restrictions. Participation by physicians, pharmacists, and health care providers is voluntary. The law also specifies a patient's decision to end his or her life shall not "have an effect upon a life, health, or accident insurance or annuity policy."......"

Old 10-09-2012, 06:28 PM

5,706 posts, read 9,630,158 times
If a person has a terminal illness and wants to die let them die. It's no one's business but that person and his/her family.

Of course, the last six months of a persons life is where doctors and hospitals make the majority of their money off a patient so it stands to reason they'd be against it. And if they're against it, then their paid off politicians will be against it.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:34 PM

45,375 posts, read 60,561,367 times
My oldest daughter has told me if I ever reach that point that she and her siblings are going to take me out to my goose hunting field and give me a head start.

I would like to think that if I reach that point I will know it's time to go. I like to think that, I don't know if that will really be the case, I have a very strong survival instinct and incredible luck which have served me well for almost 60 years.

Old 10-09-2012, 06:34 PM

21,695 posts, read 28,446,688 times
Okay now let's talk about a state, Oregon, where it is allowed and the facts rather than speculation. I know of two people who chose to pass away in this manner. They had to go through very, very and I cannot emphasize this more very strict criteria to be eligible to end their lives this way both mentally and physically. Both were in the end stages of Cancer.

They were given meds they could take to end their suffering. Dr. Death was not hovering over them. Plans were made for family and friends or whomever they wanted to be there at the end. Social workers visited daily to make check up on them to see how they were faring until the decision would be made to use the meds.

In both cases, the patients, one a best friend the other a neighbor, passed away before the meds could be used. A nurse explained it this way. She said that people who are in the throes of a painful end stage illness are more comforted by the idea that they can end their pain and suffering at any time than they are just wanting to die. They have the control to end their lives when they want and choose who they want to be there. Even though most times it doesn't happen that way.

Usually they die in a hospice or in a hospital though. My friend died in hospice and the neighbor died peacefully in her sleep at home. But both felt they could have chosen the time and place if they had to.

The number of people who choose assisted suicide is small. And no, people do not rush to Oregon to use this service. You have to be a resident for a certain length of time be eligible for it.

So many people jump to so many conclusions as to what it's all about and what will happen if it is allowed in their state. I can understand people objecting to it on religious or moral grounds but for those who jump to conclusions and speculations without researching the facts, I suggest they read up on them to see what the real situation is all about.

I for one, having seen firsthand the good assisted suicide can do am all for it.

Old 10-09-2012, 10:11 PM

292 posts, read 357,895 times
[quote=ipoetry;26444654 If the death with dignity law passes, it still won't be easy. You'll have to sign your life away (literally) and go through many layers and be seen by many doctors. You'll probably die from the disease before you get your official go-ahead.[/QUOTE]

I'm totally against assisted suicide by a physician, but like the abortion issue, why is this even a question of law? Government, get out of these personal decisions

[quote=RedJacket;26447838
Of course, the last six months of a persons life is where doctors and hospitals make the majority of their money off a patient so it stands to reason they'd be against it. And if they're against it, then their paid off politicians will be against it.[/QUOTE]

This is a crock. A great deal of care is provided at the end of life; could it be because that's when patients are sickest? You would prefer the death squad? Mandatory palliative care at retirement--after all you're no longer productive? You don't want extraordinary measures at end of life? Sign a living will. Encourage others to do so. You going to be accusing docs of playing God when they decide to stop care? Well, rationed care is coming, so get ready. And it won't be a physician making the call, it'll be a "suit".

Old 10-09-2012, 10:54 PM

10,379 posts, read 10,915,269 times
My wife has been a nurse since 1972 and worked in many different areas of nursing. She says that pain can be controled, if done properly and agressively and there's no reason for anyone to linger in terrible pain for years.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement