U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 10-09-2007, 05:13 PM

28,210 posts, read 47,610,571 times

Advertisements

Best neighborhoods to retire.

If life after work means more than a beach chair, the best place to retire might be the big city. We looked at 30 of the nation's largest metro areas and found the right neighborhoods for you.

Best neighborhoods to retire - New York (1) - Money Magazine

Last edited by John1960; 10-09-2007 at 05:58 PM..
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-09-2007, 05:52 PM

15,400 posts, read 25,823,369 times
Oh. Dear.

Who wrote this article--people in their 20's? I looked at the places they were suggesting for each of the cities I happen to be familiar with. I wouldn't recommend them at all. Woodley Park in Washington D.C.??? Where cost of rent would quickly eat through all your savings... where the average retirees would have to settle for some rundown dump? Where there are regular muggings and robberies? Where the heavy traffic is dangerous for someone who can't cross the street quickly? Are they kidding? Midtown in Atlanta???? The South Loop???

No, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no, no!

Old 10-09-2007, 06:20 PM

1,848 posts, read 6,248,832 times
I just looked at a few of them. It's too slow to go through all of them. Thanks for the info but I've got to say No no no no no too. The ones I saw were all big cities areas.

Last edited by Waterlily; 10-10-2007 at 04:54 PM.. Reason: fixed

Old 10-10-2007, 09:05 AM

942 posts, read 1,066,738 times
It is best to make ones own list, always remember these lists are other peoples list and most likely do not reflect each indiviudals likes and dislikes. Never choose a place or anything for that matter by some list that says it is best, always do your own research and see if its on your best list.

Old 10-10-2007, 09:26 AM

15,400 posts, read 25,823,369 times
LOL, I totally agree! I never find the lists very helpful, but usually I can at least figure out why certain places were suggested (even if they weren't right for me).

I couldn't resist commenting on this list, though, because it's so-o-o bad. These city spots are good places for 20-somethings, but not at all practical for retirees.

Old 10-10-2007, 12:29 PM

9,321 posts, read 16,579,200 times
Sometimes I get the feeling like they (not sure who they are) are trying to "herd" us into the urban core. I would not suggest San Francisco to even a young person let alone a retired person. I dread going to the AIA conventions when they insist on holding them there. New York scares me to death.

Old 10-10-2007, 04:02 PM

8,236 posts, read 18,512,788 times
Sometimes I get the feeling like they (not sure who they are) are trying to "herd" us into the urban core. I would not suggest San Francisco to even a young person let alone a retired person

Gosh, I love San Francisco, but I can not even afford to buy a studio apartment in a decent area there. Is that why you would not suggest it, motley?
I like smaller cities myself. Big ones are just too hard for me to contend with.

Old 10-11-2007, 06:24 AM

30,682 posts, read 49,443,611 times
We have dreamed of retiring rural, and focused much of our investment portfolio with that in mind.

Now with my pension, we have bought a bunch of land, in a forested area and are in the process of converting part of it to farming. We have goats, pigs, and chickens. We have fishing available to us within walking distance on our land, and hunting.

Our taxes are very low, local crime is almost off the chart low, the local economy is slightly depressed so my pension compares very favourably.

We are finding most people are fairly friendly around here.

We like rural.

Old 10-11-2007, 04:36 PM

7,297 posts, read 15,347,934 times
Well, it's pretty much a premise of the article that it was going to focus on big city retirement, and went from that point. So if you wanted to retire in a large city, the article might be useful. Although, given the condo prices, you'll also have to be retiring very well off for the majority of sites and be willing to sink that much money into housing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement