Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 10-24-2012, 07:00 AM

2,827 posts, read 4,341,960 times

Advertisements

I asked my aunt about this. She's been retired for a few years now. She said since she goes to her volunteer jobs on the weekend, she's pretty much aware of when the weekend's approaching, but during the other days of the week, she can get them confused.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 10-24-2012, 10:13 AM

13,496 posts, read 18,192,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nezlie View Post
I asked my aunt about this. She's been retired for a few years now. She said since she goes to her volunteer jobs on the weekend, she's pretty much aware of when the weekend's approaching, but during the other days of the week, she can get them confused.
Before retirement I was apt to lose track of what date it was, but now it is definitely what day and it occurs frequently. I am often two days off the calendar, and am amazed to find out which day of the week it is.

The fact that I can do what I want to do when I want to do it has the tendency, I think, to make the days unimportant. The ringing church bells on Sunday often surprise me, and cause me to readjust my idea of where we are in the week.

I have taken to buying one of those large monthly appt. calendars, and when I have a date with someone I circle that day in red, and then I check the computer to see that it does not burst upon me unaware.

Old 10-24-2012, 10:27 AM

12,858 posts, read 16,873,001 times
I keep track of Monday's just so I can annoy my friends who are still working with text messages or photos while I'm fishing, or getting up at 9am.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:33 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by kevxu View Post
Before retirement I was apt to lose track of what date it was, but now it is definitely what day and it occurs frequently. I am often two days off the calendar, and am amazed to find out which day of the week it is.

The fact that I can do what I want to do when I want to do it has the tendency, I think, to make the days unimportant. The ringing church bells on Sunday often surprise me, and cause me to readjust my idea of where we are in the week.

I have taken to buying one of those large monthly appt. calendars, and when I have a date with someone I circle that day in red, and then I check the computer to see that it does not burst upon me unaware.
I have to use Google Calendar and the reminders show up on my smartphone.

Old 10-24-2012, 11:34 AM

4,095 posts, read 5,546,625 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jim9251 View Post
I keep track of Monday's just so I can annoy my friends who are still working with text messages or photos while I'm fishing, or getting up at 9am.
Tsk tsk. I've done the same.

Old 10-24-2012, 01:11 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,040,852 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minervah View Post
No, not the soap opera, I mean the days in our lives. If you are retired, do you ever forget them or get them mixed up? Do you feel differently about them? Like the weekends are not such a big deal any longer if you don't have to work?

I used to always know what day it was when I worked. Now I sometimes find I have to take a peek at the calendar to make sure I'm on the right day. Anyone else have to do this?
Not always sure what day of the week it is unless it is important to know.

Old 10-24-2012, 02:01 PM

5,356 posts, read 18,544,358 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
We take care of business and do our trips during the week (no crowds or traffic), or not, and weekends are stay-at-home days.
I believe that's my wife's plan when we retire. The only reason to know what day it is, is so you can avoid shopping on a weekend.

Old 01-08-2013, 08:06 AM

18,717 posts, read 31,086,150 times
LOL I keep a large calendar on the refrigerator so I won't forget appointments, and even so I almost forgot to take the car in this morning for it's scheduled tune up. For some reason I thought this was Monday.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement