Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 03:52 PM

13 posts, read 44,834 times

Advertisements

When one reaches the age of retirement, it seems that most children are at an age where they have, or are forming, their own nuclear family.

Have any of you remained close with your adult sons? Everything I seem to read states that once a son marries, he leaves his family of origin and becomes more heavily involved with his wife's extended family often becoming somewhat distant with his own extended family (siblings, parents).

I am just curious what all of you have exerienced in this regard and how any of this has affected your retirement plans (retirement location, expectations of time spent with family/grandchildren etc).
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 04:08 PM

1,409 posts, read 2,739,125 times
I am, but then he's not married yet. He has a fairly long-term girlfriend, so we'll see what happens if and when they ever settle down. But I've always been close to him--we had a tough time with him when he was a teen, but the closeness came back, don't think it's going away.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:15 PM

31,683 posts, read 41,022,196 times
Yes with both who have families of their own.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:25 PM

14,016 posts, read 20,897,111 times
As an adult son, I was not particularly close to either parent. My mother was very controlling and I have an independent nature, so closeness in that case was totally out of the question. However, we were not estranged either.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:29 PM

16,042 posts, read 21,962,233 times
Never get between a son and his wife, words to the wise. When adult sons marry, the in-laws gain a son and the parents do not necessarily gain a daughter.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:44 PM

1,696 posts, read 4,346,941 times
"A son is a son 'til he takes a wife, but a daughter's a daughter for life." I find it does end up this way more often than not. I wonder if it is mostly to do with the fact that women have primarily been in charge of the family's schedule, and the wife / mother would be more likely to pencil in time for her own parents.

The single most important thing parents of sons can do to maintain a close relationship once he's married: be completely non-judgmental toward the daughter in law. Even more than kissing her butt or being super generous and nice to her, being non-judgmental is key.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:50 PM

1,473 posts, read 3,570,738 times
I would say "close" but we have never been nosy with our children. Raised them for independence which they are in spades. All 3 in their 30s. They "worship" their mother. I'm still the go to guy when the time arises. Fortunately, that is rare and so far nothing critical. I will leave their mother in good hands if I go first.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:16 PM

4,423 posts, read 7,363,197 times
I have one son, an only child, he's 37. We raised him to put his family (meaning his wife and children) first. We knew we'd have to take a back seat and we do so willingly. This said, we usually enjoy an hour long phone call once a week, we get texts and emails regularly, and Christmas Eve was magical, we spent it at his house along with his wife's parents and Christmas Day we were invited to our daughter-in-law's sister's house. We all get along, we make no demands, and yes, I'd say we're close. His wife and I are email confidants, I'm quite comfortable with things the way they are. The antithesis of this would be an adult needy son and who the heck wants that?

Old 01-06-2013, 06:18 PM

6,952 posts, read 22,677,759 times
I was close with my son until about the 2nd year of his marriage; his wife worked very hard to drive a wedge and pull him into her family while drawing him away from me. It has effected our retirement plans. We used to believe we should stay in our area to be near the grandkid but have come to realize we see her so rarely it doesn't matter. So we feel we have the liberty to retire wherever suits us and we don't plan on staying in the area.

Old 01-06-2013, 06:20 PM

7,629 posts, read 16,446,448 times
We are blessed by being closer now to our adult son than ever...but it was a rough road to get there.

You are right...it takes work, but SOOOOO worth it!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Retirement